“My name is Lakilester... Er, no, it's Michael... No, um... Oh yeah... Spike. Yeah yeah, I'm Spike... Well whatever. Never mind.”
—Lakilester, Paper Mario
Lakilester (self-nicknamed Michael, Spike and Jonathan (Japanese version only)) is Mario's eighth and last party member in Paper Mario. In Super Paper Mario, Lakilester appears as a Catch Card found on the ninetieth floor of the Flopside Pit of 100 Trials. Lakilester is a portmanteau of Lakitu and Lester, and is probably a pun on "lackluster". Lakilester is a partner who joins Mario after Mario defeats them, as well as abandoning the antagonists to do so, very much as Vivian from the sequel, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door,
 Paper Mario
Concept art of Lakilester
In Flower Fields, Mario and his team finds a Lakitu on the way to Cloudy Climb. He introduces himself by his nickname Spike, then attacks. After he is defeated, a female Lakitu named Lakilulu comes and asks Mario not to finish Lakilester. Lakilester is annoyed and asks Lakilulu to call him Spike because it's his new name. Lakilester tells Mario that he is working for Huff N. Puff and asks him why he is trying to save the world. No matter what he answers, Lakilester thinks Mario is cool and joins the party. Lakilester wants to be stronger for his girlfriend, which is similar to Koops in the sequel. By using his field ability, Mario can hop on his cloud and hover over certain surfaces, such as spikes and lava, without getting hurt. Though it is entirely possible to use Lakilester to travel over lava, he visibly struggles while doing so. He moves considerably slower and his cloud's expression changes to an angry frown. However, because Lakilester floats low over the ground, he cannot be used to cross gaps like Parakarry can.
||Flower Points Needed
||Throws a Spiny Egg at one enemy.
||Align the cursor with the target.
||Throws a lot of Spiny Eggs at all enemies.
||Repeatedly tilt to fill the gauge.
||Creates a cloud that boosts Mario's evasion rate.
||Press as the red stars light up.
||Blows enemies out of the battlefield.
||Repeatedly press and at the same time to fill the gauge.
 Paper Mario Stats (as an Enemy)
| Paper Mario Enemy
| Max HP
|| Flower Fields
|| Spiny Flip (3)
|He said his name is Spike. He seems to be a Lakitu, but he's the weirdest one I've seen. Is it just me, or did he call himself Spike, Michael and Lakilester? What an odd guy... ...I have to wonder just what his real name is...
 Catch Card
- Card Type: Rare
- Card Description: This is Mario's good buddy Lakilester from Paper Mario. He played it cool in shades as he flew over lava.
 Names in Other Languages
|Part of the literary character Jugemu's full name. "Jugemu" itself was used as Lakitu's name in Japan.
Lakilester's beta images, from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario respectively.
- Originally, Lakilester was going to make an appearance in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, but he was removed along with most of the other partners from the original Paper Mario.
- Lakilester also has sprite data for Super Paper Mario, even though he never appeared in that game.
- Lakilester is the only character other than Watt who can damage Bowser after he powers himself up with the Star Rod during the first round of the final battle. However, the two can only take away 1 HP each.
- Carrie's ability from Super Paper Mario is extremely similar to his ability.