The seven Star Spirits, as they appear in Paper Mario.
“When you look at the night sky, you'll know that the glittering stars are praising you for your courage.”
—Skolar, Paper Mario
The Star Spirits consist of Eldstar, Mamar, Skolar, Muskular, Misstar, Klevar and Kalmar. They all appear in Paper Mario and are being held captive by Bowser's followers after Bowser and Kammy Koopa stole their precious Star Rod and turned them into playing cards, because of their ignoring Bowser's selfish wishes.
After Mario rescued them, they gave him a special power called Star Beam, which is used to neutralize the effects of the Star Rod, and a ship that they can use to travel to Bowser's Castle. During the final battle with Bowser, due to the effects of Bowser's Power Platform, their Star Beam didn't work against the renegade reptile, that is until Star Beam was upgraded to Peach Beam when Twink helped Mario out in the battle.
Later, in Mario Party 5, where they are known as Star Guards, it is revealed that they guard the Dream Depot and all its dreams. They guide the players throughout the game as well.
 The Star Spirits' Names and powers
- After Mario rescues the first star spirit Eldstar, he gains a natural ability to Focus. Focus boosts Star Energy.
||Power & SP needed
||Koopa Bros. Fortress
||Replenishes Mario's HP and FP by 5 and cures poison.
||Dry Dry Ruins
||Puts enemies to sleep for a short time by singing a lullaby.
||Boo's Mansion, originally in Tubba Blubba's Castle
||Tubba Blubba and Boos
||Star Storm, 2
||Attacks all enemies, damaging 7 HP each.
||Shy Guy's Toy Box
||Chill Out, 2
||Decreases enemies' attack power by 3.
||Replenishes Mario's HP by 20 with a kiss.
||Huff N. Puff
||Time Out, 2
||Immobilizes enemies for a short time.
||Up & Away, 2
||Turns enemies into stars, knocking them out of battle. NOTE: Does not works on all enemies.
| All Together
||Star Beam/Peach Beam, none
||Negates the effects of the Star Rod. During the final battle with Bowser, Star Beam has no effect against the Star Rod due to the device Kammy Koopa made. After Princess Peach and Twink defeat Kammy Koopa, this power is upgraded to Peach Beam.
 Duties in Mario Party 5
- Eldstar: Guide of the party mode.
- Mamar: Guide of the bonus mode.
- Skolar: Guide of the super-duel mode.
- Muskular: Guide of the minigame mode.
- Misstar: Guide of the story mode.
- Klevar: Explains the game modes, and hosts some events on boards when stopped at a Green Space.
- Kalmar: Guide of the options mode.
- The Star Spirits, Goomboss and the Koopatrols are the only characters to originate in a Paper Mario game and appear again in 3D.
- All the Star Spirits have visible mouths when they speak in Paper Mario; however, in Mario Party 5, only Kalmar has a mouth.
 Names in Other Languages
Hoshi no sei