- Not to be confused with Club Nintendo Hanafuda.
The Mario Hanafuda deck is a deck of Japanese playing cards known as hanafuda. It was introduced during the 30th Anniversary of Super Mario Bros. The illustrations on the cards, including the ones on the inner box, are derived from the currently produced "President" set, which has been Nintendo's flagship brand of traditional hanafuda for over a century. Red- and black-decked versions of Mario Hanafuda were later made available on the My Nintendo Store in Europe on June 16, 2020, along with postcards based on them.
Illustrations on the cards
In the Mario Hanafuda deck, all of the cards' traditional illustrations have been modified with elements from the Super Mario universe. Furthermore, a close inspection of the illustration reveals that a new printing method has been used with respect to the one used in the Club Nintendo Hanafuda. Another important aspect is that now the months follow a theme:
- January is dedicated to the Yoshi's Island series.
- February is dedicated to the present time Yoshi.
- March is dedicated to main female characters in the Super Mario universe.
- April is dedicated to the Donkey Kong Country series.
- May features underwater-themed illustrations.
- June is dedicated to Super Mario World.
- July is dedicated to Super Mario 3D Land.
- August is dedicated to Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.
- September is dedicated to the Koopa Troop.
- October is dedicated to Super Mario 3D World.
- November is dedicated to Super Mario Bros. 3.
- December is dedicated to Bowser, Bowser Jr., and the Koopalings.
Appearances in games
In Mario Kart Tour, the first illustration of January, the fourth illustration of February, the first illustration of March, the fourth illustration of April, the first illustration of May, the first illustration of June, the third illustration of July, the first illustration of August, the first illustration of September, the second illustration of October, the first illustration of November, and the first illustration of December appear as tour-exclusive High-End gliders available as tour gifts for Gold Pass subscribers. Each one was released during their respective month from the card set. All the gliders are modeled after the Full Flight and its variants.
- Official Japanese site
- Article about Mario Hanafuda (in Japanese)
- Mario Hanafuda on the European My Nintendo Store[dead link]
- Official site of the Hanafuda and Kabufuda sets currently produced by Nintendo. Nintendo of Japan official site. Retrieved March 11, 2016.
- @NintendoEurope (June 16, 2020). "Themed Hanafuda and playing card sets are now available from the #MyNintendo Store, while stocks last!" Twitter. Retrieved June 16, 2020.
- @NintendoEurope (June 16, 2020). "This Mario Hanafuda postcard set is now available as a #MyNintendo Reward for 400 Platinum Points + shipping costs, while stocks last!" Twitter. Retrieved June 16, 2020.