Boarding the Airship
- This article is about Boarding the Airship, a level in New Super Mario Bros. U. For other uses, see Meringue Clouds-Airship.
|Boarding the Airship
|New Super Mario Bros. U
|Bowser Jr. (second round)
|<< Directory of levels >>
Boarding the Airship, or Meringue Clouds-Airship, is the final course of Meringue Clouds in New Super Mario Bros. U. Just like in The Mighty Cannonship (All Aboard! in New Super Luigi U) before it, the course is not seen until the player reaches its spot. It is unlocked via completion of Ludwig's Clockwork Castle and its own completion unlocks the path to Meteor Moat.
Unlike the other Airship levels in the Super Mario franchise, this one takes place outside of the airship, progressing to the boss arena. The first section is similar to the final part of #1 Iggy's Castle in Super Mario World, where a giant object periodically comes down to crush the player. However, unlike #1 Iggy's Castle, Boarding the Airship's object is the Mecha Hand that was used to toss the Mario Bros. and Toads to Acorn Plains. During the later half of the first section, the hand starts punching the ground, destroying it in the process.
The first Checkpoint Flag can the be found on a platform. The second section takes place below the hull of the ship, and the player must use a Remote-Control Platform to progress further through the level while avoiding Burners. A Green Ring can be found above a row of Burners. Rocky Wrenches are found at the end of this section, along with a yellow Warp Pipe that takes Mario to the second Checkpoint Flag and a Pipe Cannon.
After the second Checkpoint Flag and taking the Pipe Cannon up, the final section is the boss battle with Bowser Jr., in his Junior Clown Car. Unlike before, however, Bowser Jr. equipped his vehicle with boxing gloves, which destroy the steel blocks the player has to stand on, and Bowser Jr. himself tosses Bob-ombs, which the player can use to harm Bowser Jr. After three hits, Bowser Jr. is defeated.
A cutscene plays where the player drops onto the airship, and Bowser Jr. prepares to crush Mario with the Mecha Hand, but he runs out of the way and it punches through the flagship itself, severely damaging it and causing it to crash outside of the tornado ahead.
- Star Coin 1: The first Star Coin is found on a section of the ground before the first Checkpoint Flag, and the player must collect it before the Mecha Hand destroys the land surrounding it.
- Star Coin 2: In the second section, the second Star Coin is found slightly hidden behind a group of thick clouds.
- Star Coin 3: After the Green Ring, the player must use a Super Acorn or a Super Crown to reach the platform above that contains the third Star Coin.
Names in other languages
Semari kuru! Kyodai senkan
|Looming! Giant Battleship
Zhújiàn Pòjìn de Jùdà Zhànjiàn！
|The Looming Giant Battleship!
|À l'abordage !
|To the collision!
|Luftgaleere im Anflug!
|Aerial galley approaching!
|All'arrembaggio del veliero volante
|At the ramp of the flying sailing ship
|위협해 오는 거대 전함
Wihyeophae Oneun Geodae Jeonham
|Threatening Giant Battleship
|Abordagem à Aeronave
|Boarding the Airship
|Посадка на летучий корабль
Posadka na letuchiy korabl'
|Landing on the airship
|Asalto a la aeronave
|Assault on the airship
|Asalto a la Fortaleza Aérea
|Assault on the Aerial Fortress
- This course is the only level in the game to have two Checkpoint Flags.
- It is possible to beat Bowser Jr. in one hit by collecting the second flag, losing to him at least once, and using a Super Star item. The effect of the Super Star lasts just long enough to be able to run into Bowser Jr. and instantly beat him.