|Diddy Kong Racing course
|Meet T.T (N64)
|The first track of the game
|<< List of tracks >>
Ancient Lake is the first course of the Dino Domain area of Timber Island and the first overall track in Diddy Kong Racing and Diddy Kong Racing DS. One Golden Balloon is required to get in this track, being unlocked automatically along with the world itself, while six are needed for the Silver Coin Challenge (or Balloon Touch Challenge in the Nintendo DS remake).
As the first course, Ancient Lake is one of the most basic courses in the game. The track is shaped like a capital 'B', with grass to the side of the road. Two lakes are at the uppermost part of Ancient Lake, located left and right respectively. A large, green sauropod roams around the lakes, serving as an obstacle. Ancient Lake takes place during daytime and shows a blue sky with some white clouds.
The first Wish Key, which is needed to unlock Fire Mountain (or the first Wish Race in the DS remake), is found in Ancient Lake, and it is found in midair in front of an offtrack ramp where the arches resembling Stonehenge stand. The Wish Key can only be reached if the racer performs a speed boost to it.
The car is the default vehicle for this track, but either after completing this course or during a Time Trial, the player will be given the option of using the plane or the hovercraft. The official DKR website suggested racing as Banjo on this track.
The track takes place under the blue daytime sky and begins with a straight road. There is a small bump with a few Bananas. After the bump, there are two Red Balloons on the left and two Blue Balloons on the right. There is a gentle turn to the left. After this, players can use a Zipper. They can take the main path containing a few Bananas or they can travel on the grass to collect a Blue Balloon.
Soon, there is a overhang. Two Red Balloons surround a Blue Balloon. There is a turn to the left with the edges being water. After this turn, players can use the second and last Zipper to speed to the finish line.
In the Nintendo DS remake, the last segment is covered by a large tunnel, which is followed by a short, wooden bridge over a small river. The posts that hold the "start" banner have been changed from palm trees to stalagmite-shaped rocks. The stone obstacles' color has been changed from light brown to gray and the cliff tops have green grass on them.
Silver Coin Challenge
- On a small bump before the first set of Item Balloons.
- Shortly after the first set of Item Balloons in the center of the track.
- Just after the first set of bananas, found in the center of the track, just like the other coins.
- Slightly in front of the third coin.
- When the racer rides around the first turn, the coin is in the center of the road.
- Not too long after the second set of Item Balloons.
- In the dinosaur's path, shortly after the sixth coin. As usual, it is located in the middle of the road.
- After hitting the last zipper, the coin can be found between two bananas.
Adventure Two mode
- On the left side of the track, just after the first set of Bananas.
- On the left side of the track, just after the first set of Item Balloons.
- On the left side of the track, just after the second Silver Coin.
- On the left side of the track, just after the third Silver Coin.
- On the right side of the track, just after the first Zipper.
- On the left side of the track, just after the second set of Item Balloons.
- On the left side of the track, just before the dinosaur.
- On the left side of the track, just before the finish line.
Diddy Kong Racing
Diddy Kong Racing DS
Names in other languages