The 'Shroom:Issue 167/Pipe Plaza
Hello lovely readers, Zange is currently sick. In lieu of Director's Notes this month, please enjoy these cute pictures of ducks instead.
Section of the Month
|Pipe Plaza SECTION OF THE MONTH|
|1st||Poll Committee Discussion||18||72.00%||Ninja Squid and Hooded Pitohui|
Stay up-to-date with the latest happenings from the NIWA wiki network!
Find out all about this month's Super Mario releases.
The best analysis of the polls around!
Hello, everyone! Welcome to NIWA News, a section where I show the going ons with the wikis in our NIWA group within the last month!
- Xamad and Thecornermane were promoted to the rank of Patroller on Fire Emblem Wiki!
- PikaSamus was promoted to the rank of Bureaucrat on Fire Emblem Wiki!
- Lampshade59276 was promoted to the rank of Administrator on Nookipedia!
- HylianAngel was promoted to the rank of Patroller on Nookipedia!
- Pandakekok9 and Hexelectron were promoted to the rank of Patroller on WiKirby!
- Trig Jegman was promoted to the rank of Administrator on WiKirby!
- Seritinajii, Aria der Donau, Maxite, and SuperAlpaca were all demoted on Fire Emblem Wiki due to inactivity.
- BrandedOne has stepped down from his role on Fire Emblem Wiki.
- JRJ007 was demoted on WiKirby due to inactivity.
- Several wikis may be updating, so if something looks off, hang tight! Check with an admin on their wiki for more information.
Howdy everyone! Happy Direct month! I know the Direct didn’t have a lot of Mario news and some people thought it was rather disappointing, but I’m just very happy we got one. Anyways, that’s beside the point. Welcome to Mario Calendar! Today we’ll be taking a look at all of the Mario games that have ever come out in the month of February. Let’s go! :D
|ALL||All Regions (JP/NA/EU/AU)|
|NES||Nintendo Entertainment System|
|Famicom||Family Computer Disk System|
|SNES||Super Nintendo Entertainment System|
|Wii U||Nintendo Wii U|
|GBC||Game Boy Color|
|GBA||Game Boy Advance|
|Wii VC||Nintendo Wii Virtual Console|
|3DS VC||Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console|
|3DS eShop||Nintendo 3DS eShop|
|Wii U VC||Nintendo Wii U Virtual Console|
|Wii U eShop||Nintendo Wii U eShop|
|Switch eShop||Nintendo Switch eShop|
|G&W||Game and Watch|
|64DD||Nintendo 64 Disk Drive|
|MS-DOS||Microsoft Disk Operating System|
|Texas Instruments TI-99/4A||TI-99|
- February 1
- 1982 (NA): Turtle Bridge (G&W)
- 1997 (JP): Game & Watch Gallery (GB)
- February 2
- 1984 (JP): Pinball (NES)
- 2001 (EU/AU): Mario Tennis (GBA)
- February 3
- 1989 (JP): Wrecking Crew (Famicom)
- 1998 (NA): Mario's FUNdamentals (Windows)
- 2011 (AU): Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem! (DS)
- 2017 (NA/EU): Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World (3DS)
- February 4
- 2005 (EU):
- Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (GC)
- DK: King of Swing (GBA)
- 2011 (EU): Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem! (DS)
- 2017 (AU): Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World (3DS)
- 2005 (EU):
- February 5
- 1999 (EU): Wario Land II (GBC)
- 2001 (NA): Paper Mario (N64)
- 2007 (NA): Diddy Kong Racing DS (DS)
- February 7
- 2003 (JP): Nintendo Puzzle Collection (GC)
- 2008 (AU):
- 2011 (NA): Mario Sports Mix (Wii)
- February 8
- 1999 (NA): Mario Party (N64)
- 2005 (NA): NBA Street V3 (GC)
- 2008 (EU): Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (DS)
- February 9
- 2012 (AU): Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (3DS)
- February 10
- 1997 (NA): Mario Kart 64 (N64)
- 1999 (NA): Wario Land II (GBC)
- 2006 (EU): Mario Party 7 (GC)
- 2012 (EU): Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (3DS)
- February 11
- 2004 (AU): Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
- 2002 (NA): Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 (NA)
- 2009 (JP): Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS)
- February 12
- 1990 (NA): Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
- 2021 (ALL): Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Switch)
- February 13
- 2014 (JP): Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)
- February 14
- 2004 (JP):
- 2005 (NA): WarioWare: Touched! (DS)
- 2012 (NA): Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (3DS)
- February 16
- 2007 (EU): Mario Hoops 3-on-3 (DS)
- February 18
- 2003 (NA): Mario Party-e (e-Reader)
- 2005 (EU/AU): NBA Street V3 (GC)
- 2016 (JP): Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (3DS)
- February 19
- 1994 (JP): Wario's Woods (NES)
- February 21
- 1981 (JP/NA): Helmet (G&W)
- 1986 (JP):
- Golf (Famicom)
- Super Mario Bros. (Famicom)
- 1987 (NA): Golf: Japan Course (Famicom)
- 2014 (NA/EU): Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)
- February 22
- 2014 (AU): Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)
- February 23
- 1990 (EU): Tetris (NES)
- 2000 (JP): Mario Artist: Talent Studio (64DD)
- 2006 (AU): Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (DS)
- February 24
- 2005 (AU):
- Super Mario 64 DS (DS)
- WarioWare: Touched! (DS)
- 2005 (AU):
- February 25
- 2005 (EU/AU): Mario Power Tennis (GC)
- 2009 (JP): Mario Calculator (DSiWare)
- February 26
- 1993 (EU): Yoshi's Cookie (GB)
- 2011 (JP):
- AR Games (3DS)
- StreetPass Mii Plaza (3DS)
- February 27
- 2006 (NA): Super Princess Peach (DS)
And that’s all for February! Honestly, this month was really interesting to me primarily because of the relative obscurity of a lot of these games. Of course, classics like Super Mario Bros. 3 and Mario Kart 64 came out for the first time in America, but there were a lot of really strange ones, like Mario Party-e or Mario Artist: Talent Studio. And of course, Bowser’s Fury came out this month too! Overall, I’d say it’s a pretty good month, mostly because of the varied genres and styles of the games that came out. Anyways, enjoy the rest of the ‘Shroom, I’ll see ya next month <3
Poll Committee Discussion
Welcome, 'Shroom readers, to Poll Committee Discussion, written this time by me, Goombuigi. You've probably seen me around the 'Shroom , but Pipe Plaza is uncharted territory for me. I have three polls to analyse, but first, let's go through the most recent news from the Poll Committee.
Once again, there isn't much to report on this month. Lakituthequick (talk) and winstein (talk) took control over the committee for a two-week term, and they've been doing a great job of maintaining activity within the committee.
Have you exchanged Mario themed presents during the holidays? (Lakituthequick (talk), January 3rd, 2021)
|Have you exchanged Mario themed presents during the holidays?|
|Yes, I have received Mario presents, but haven't gifted them. 44.28% (736 votes)|
|No, I haven't exchanged Mario themed presents. 23.71% (394 votes)|
|Yes, I have both gifted as well as received Mario presents. 16.91% (281 votes)|
|I haven't celebrated the holidays with presents. 7.46% (121 votes)|
|I haven't received or gifted Mario presents, but I've watched others do so. 4.51% (75 votes)|
|Yes, I have gifted Mario presents, but haven't received them. 3.13% (52 votes)|
|Total Votes: 1,662|
How do you feel about the design changes to certain Mario characters in the Super Smash Bros. series? (BBQ Turtle (talk) and Lakituthequick (talk), January 17th, 2021)
|How do you feel about the design changes to certain Mario characters in the Super Smash Bros. series?|
|I like these design changes and would like to see similar changes made to the other Mario characters 43.68% (560 votes)|
|I have no opinion on the subject 19.58% (251 votes)|
|I like these design changes, but characters already in the roster should not be retroactively changed 14.27% (183 votes)|
|I do not like the design changes, and would prefer characters to look more accurate to their other appearances 10.14% (130 votes)|
|I like the changes made to the characters' outfits, but do not like the physical changes made to the characters 7.10% (91 votes)|
|I like the idea of the design changes, but would prefer to see it executed differently 3.20% (41 votes)|
|I like the changes made to the characters' physical appearance, but do not like the changes made to their outfits 2.03% (26 votes)|
|Total Votes: 1,282|
How do you feel about Nintendo opting to only make minor graphical updates to the games in Super Mario 3D All-Stars? (BBQ Turtle (talk), January 31st, 2021)
|How do you feel about Nintendo opting to only make minor graphical updates to the games in Super Mario 3D All-Stars?|
|I like the updated graphics, but I wish they would have gone further and made larger changes to improve weaknesses of these old games 32.18% (623 votes)|
|I like this decision as it stays true to the games' original aesthetic while also making the game appear fresh 24.12% (467 votes)|
|I do not think the graphics have been updated enough and would have preferred to see a complete graphical overhaul 17.25% (334 votes)|
|I like the updated graphics, though I would have liked to see just a few more additional changes to be made 16.12% (312 votes)|
|I have no opinion on the matter 8.37% (162 votes)|
|I do not like the updated graphics, and would have preferred the games to remain as close to the original as possible 1.96% (38 votes)|
|Total Votes: 1,936|
Have you exchanged Mario themed presents during the holidays?
Most people have received gifts, but haven't gifted them, comprising 44% of votes. This is likely because a large number of people who visit the wiki are either kids or teenagers, who don't have their own source of income, and thus they don't have money to spend themselves, while their parents supplied them with gifts. 23% of the people who voted didn't give or receive Mario themed gifts. A portion of these have likely exchanged other kinds of gifts, while the rest haven't exchanged gifts in any way. Perhaps some people who voted for this option are kids and teens, and maybe they received non-Mario gifts. The wording of this option allows for several possible scenarios. Oddly enough, the inverse option (have gifted but haven't received) was the least voted option. Interestingly, about 60% of the people who voted have received Mario themed gifts, whereas merely 25% have gifted them.
How do you feel about the design changes to certain Mario characters in the Super Smash Bros. series?
An overwhelming 43% of voters are welcome to these changes and would like to see more of them if more Mario characters join. It's possible that some think that the changed designs suit the atmosphere of the Super Smash Bros. series more, or they're simply used to them by this point. The second most popular option, with nearly 20% of the total votes, is no opinion, likely because these people haven't played the Super Smash Bros. games or aren't interested in them. 14% of people voted that they like the changes, but they shouldn't be retroactively changed. This could be either because they like the current design or are used to it, or because they like consistency and so they don't want to see further changes made once the Super Smash Bros. interpretations of the characters are established.
How do you feel about Nintendo opting to only make minor graphical updates to the games in Super Mario 3D All-Stars?
About a third of the voters like the graphical updates, but would like to see larger changes made. It makes sense that this option is popular because it seems like Nintendo wanted to make a minimum amount of changes with the game, and it didn't help that the rumors dating back to March implied that the games would be entirely remade. In contrast, 24% of votes were completely fine with the graphical updates, since they stayed true to the original games. People who played these games for the first time will likely appreciate the authenticity. Others might not necessarily enjoy it, but aren't bothered with it, and perhaps some feel like the small amount of changes is justified due to the game being a 3-in-1 compilation. 17% of voters would have preferred a complete graphical overhaul, likely for a similar reason as people voting for the first option, but they would like to see big changes made to the graphics rather than other parts of the games, such as controls or the level design, likely to keep the games authentic while being presented in a fresh way. Not far behind the third option, 16% of votes were for keeping the graphics as-is, but making minor tweaks to other aspects of the games. I'd imagine that quality-of-life changes, such as tweaks in camera controls, would keep the game authentic while still being enjoyable, especially since some aspects of these games haven't aged well. Overall, the votes on this poll were quite split, as many of the proposed improvements could be considered an improvement over the package that was presented, and each individual person likely has a different idea of what makes a good port or remake - some prefer authenticity, others want to see the game improved to attract new players, etc.
You've made it to the end of the section! I hope that you enjoyed the analyses, and be sure to check back next month for poll analyses by winstein (talk).
|The 'Shroom: Issue 167|
|Staff sections||Staff Notes • The 'Shroom Spotlight|
|Features||Fake News • Fun Stuff • Palette Swap • Pipe Plaza • Critic Corner • Strategy Wing|
|Specials||Feedback Survey • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury Photo Contest|