A Reverse Minigame is a Bowser event introduced in Mario Party 9. It is one of many events that may appear on the Bowser Spin Wheel when a player lands on a Bowser Space. If the Bowser Spin Wheel stops on "Reverse Minigame!" Bowser forces all players to participate in a Free-for-All minigame, where the goal, unlike in regular minigames, is to lose. Bowser awards ten Mini Stars to the player who finishes in last place (20 bananas for DK's Jungle Ruins), making them the opposite of the Fire Bro's Battle Minigames, which relieve the last-place player of ten Mini Stars. If everyone finishes in last place, no one gets any Mini Stars.
Relatively few Free-for-All minigames are also Reverse Minigames. The four that do have a Reverse version in Mario Party 9 seem to have a Bowser-like aesthetic, involving backgrounds and obstacles commonly associated with Bowser in other games.
The list of Reverse Minigames includes:
- Thwomper Room – The first player to get hit by a Thwomp wins.
- Billistics – The first player to get hit by an incoming Bullet Bill wins.
- Chain Event – The player who takes the longest sliding down the chain wins. Players can slow their descent by hitting Spiked Balls on the way down.
- Tumble Temple – The first player to get hit by a Spiked Ball wins.
Reverse Minigames return in Mario Party 10, and this time, the player who finishes in last receives 20 Mini Stars instead of ten. The Reverse Minigames in this list are as follows:
- Fuzzy Fliers – The player who gets eliminated first wins. The minigame still continues even after one player is eliminated.
- Fruit Cahoots – The player who has the fewest points after seven rounds wins.
- Bob-omb Combo – The player who detonates the fewest Bob-ombs wins.
Names in other languages
Makeru ga Kachi Minigēmu
|Lose to Win Minigame|
Bàizhě wéi shèng Xiǎoyóuxì
|"The Loser Wins" Minigame|
|Dutch||Op-z'n-kop-minigame||Upside down Minigame|
|French||Mini-jeu inversé||Reversed Minigame|
|German||Verkehrte Welt||Upside down World|
|Italian||!ocoiginiM||!emaginiM, reversed lettering for "Minigioco!", in English "Minigame!"|
|Spanish (NOA)||Minijuego inverso||Reverse minigame|
|Spanish (NOE)||Minijuego al revés||Backwards Minigame|