Talk:List of unreleased media
- 1 Tech Demos
- 2 Move the page to "List of Cancelled Games and Vaporware"
- 3 Merge with Mario (series)?
- 4 Complaint
- 5 Super Paper Mario (film)
- 6 Donkey Kong IV
- 7 Mario Factory
- 8 Cancelled TV shows / Unreleased episodes
This article list a few tech demos which were never intended to be turned into full games, things that are not really vaporware at all. I'll make a separate Tech Demo page and move the relevant entries, if nobody minds. --Glowsquid 14:00, 1 August 2011 (EDT)
Move the page to "List of Cancelled Games and Vaporware"
|This talk page proposal has already been settled. Please do not edit any of the sections in the proposal. If you wish to discuss the article, do so in a new header below the proposal.|
move page 11-0
The page lists all sorts of cancelled or unreleased projects, which doesn't synch with the name. "Vaporware" has a specific definition, it refers to projects that were never released but not officially cancelled, or products with long and bloated developpement cycles and no concrete release in sight. Futhermore, not all vapoware projects are cancelled - games such as Duke Nukem Forever and Team Fortress 2 eventually ended up being released despite being vaporware for most of their production. With this in mind, the wiki's usage of "Vaporware" as a catch-all umbrella term for any cancelled or unreleased game is inaccurate and rather abusive.
I propose moving the page to "List of Cancelled Games and Vaporware" as it suits the content more and I don't feel there are enough cancelled/unreleased games to make creating different pages worthwhile.
Move the page to "List of Cancelled Games and Vaporware"
- Glowsquid (talk) - per proposal.
- Mariomario64 (talk) – I never really knew there was a difference between the two terms. Per proposal.
- Mario & Luigi (talk) Per Glowsquid.
- M&SG (talk) - Per Glowsquid.
- Mario4Ever (talk) Per proposal.
- Nintendo64Fan (talk)↑What Mario4Ever said.
- Technickal (talk) Per Glowsquid.
- Magikrazy51 (talk)All those in favor, I
- Toad85 (talk) Per Nintendo64Fan
- ThePremiumYoshi (talk) Per proposal
- Walkazo (talk) - Per Glowsquid.
Leave it as is
- I think the name is serviceable enough, but if anyone proposes a better name before the three days limit, then sure, I'll change it. --Glowsquid 16:19, 25 November 2011 (EST)
Merge with Mario (series)?
The Mario (franchise) article has a subsection "Cancelled Games and Tech Demos". It is currently incomplete, but I planned to expand the subsection (see here. I wanted to do it, but I thought about something: if we add descriptions and even pictures if there are any in the Mario series article, the List of cancelled games and vaporware article would be redundant. Should we merge this article in Mario (series)?
Banon (talk · edits) 16:14, 5 April 2013 (EDT)
- I think the section in the Mario series article should link here because the Mario series article is very huge, and I don't want it to be any bigger than it already is. KaBoom! 19:51, 5 April 2013 (EDT)
This shouldn't have stuff that was turned into a game (wario land 2, luigi's mansion, mario rpg 2). The info on that should be on the respective prerelease/unused pages.--Hiccup (talk) 15:53, 8 October 2015 (EDT)
- I think these have a reason to be there. Reworked games are technically canceled, even if they technically end up in a different console (the original game may end up a whole lot different, such as Kirby Air Ride, which started as a drastically different N64 game). I'm not sure about Wario Land 2's case, but for the others, it should be there for the sake of completion. KaBoom! 16:01, 8 October 2015 (EDT)
yeah, cancelled versions are worth mentioning ("List of cancelled games, ports and vaporware" would be too wordy, lol).. Wario Land 2's shouldn't be listed since it was just the JP GB release that got canned, but the rest, yes. --Glowsquid (talk) 16:25, 8 October 2015 (EDT)
Super Paper Mario (film)
Should this be listed here? According to Super Paper Mario it was planned at one point by Seth Gordon but never came to be.-- 07:47, 2 April 2017 (EDT)
- The reports of it made it sound like it was more wishful thinking on Gordon's part than something that ever went into any step of production. --Glowsquid (talk) 15:13, 2 April 2017 (EDT)
Donkey Kong IV
I believe I may have found the elusive "Donkey Kong IV" that magazine referred to...Kong Strikes Back. Its a game from 1984 by Ocean, which is clearly trying to resemble donkey kong (even featuring a ripoff mario on the cover), but is actually a clone of Mr. Do's Wild Ride. It matches the description pretty well, and ocean somehow got the mario rights shortly after, which could've led to confusion by the publication. Still not enough to entirely end the mystery though... --Ireallydontcare123456789 (talk) 23:15, July 17, 2019 (EDT)ireallydontcare123456789
I guess Mario Factory should be mentioned SOMEWHERE (exactly where, I'm, uh, not there yet) but I think listing it among other things that were proposed with the idea of making them real things you can buy is a bit misleading. The way the patent describes it make it sounds like "Mario Factory" was not a real game (or at least not in the form described) but something made up for the purpose of explaining how the read/write feature of the patented device works.
"a title screen is displayed such as the exemplary screen shown in FIG. 5 entitled "Mario Factory". [...]The description herein sets forth the details of an exemplary game authoring tool referred to herein as "Mario Factory" which is designed primarily for game fabrication by those uninitiated with video game program design and authoring." --Glowsquid (talk) 19:55, September 7, 2019 (EDT)
Cancelled TV shows / Unreleased episodes
|This talk page or section has a conflict or a question that needs to be answered. Please try to help and resolve the issue by leaving a comment.|
I have outlines of unreleased episodes for The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! and The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3. I even have a script for a proposed but ultimately cancelled Super Mario TV show that would have preceded the Super Show (the Super Show integrated some of its concepts, such as the Ratigator). Where should I post about this content? It comes from the original DiC Writer's Bible, production outlines, scripts, and a rejected TV proof-of-concept proposal that I own, all never-before-seen. There are no articles on this Wiki or even online about them. (I also own the heavily revised Super Mario Bros. film script with many cut scenes.) Please advise. --The Ultimate Mario Fan (talk) 18:00, September 13, 2020 (EDT)