The 'Shroom:Issue 189/Fun Stuff
Greetings, beautiful 'Shroom readers! We're off to the races this month, and I couldn't be more excited! If our organization of Blooper Race this June didn't make it obvious, I'm a big racing fanatic. Seeing your idols zip across the finish line in a blaze of Blue Shell glory... Gosh, what could be greater?
Actually, I have an answer for that! The fantastic new advertisement banner our Mario Kart queen BBQ Turtle (talk) has made for the occasion! It's absolutely stunning, just like all the rest of the artistic contributions that are on display in this issue. I'm honored to be a member of a community with so much talent booming from every corner. To all of our staff members and contributors, thank you for making our holiday special something... well, special.
With the holidays right around the corner, I hope you've all settled into cruise control and find some time for relaxation by the end of December. If you're one of those college students still suffering through finals at the moment: good luck! And no matter who you are, I wish you the coziest winter season ahead.
Oh, we're at countdown! Here we go... 3... 2... 1... Go read these Fun Stuff sections!!
Section of the Month
Congratulations to Waluigi Time (talk) for a fantastic debut on the Fun Stuff team! Extra kudos go to WildWario (talk), Mustard Machine (talk), and The Shamancer (talk) for their own amazing placements. Make sure to vote for your favorite sections this month!
|FUN STUFF SECTION OF THE MONTH|
|1st||Hiding Koopa||11||36.67%||Waluigi Time (talk)|
|2nd||Musical Quiz||5||16.67%||WildWario (talk)|
|3rd||Trivia||4||13.33%||Mustard Machine (talk)|
|3rd||Poetry Puzzle||4||13.33%||The Shamancer (talk)|
Hi everybody, welcome to the December issue of anagrams! I hope you're all having a good holiday season, and wish you a happy new year for 2023. This month, to go with our Mario Kart theme, these anagrams are all various drivers from all across the series (This does not include alternate costumes from Tour). If you have a theme in mind that I could use in the future, or perhaps have found a fun Mario-related anagram I could use, please let me know on on my talk page or in a PM to me on the forums, it'd be great to hear from you. OK, I'll let you get through this roster of anagrams now!
How it works...
Basically, this puzzle consists of solving the anagrams. Each month has a specific theme, which will give you a clue about what sort of words or phrases the anagrams will be. I've also included the boxes that the anagrams will fit into, so you'll be able to tell how many words it will solve to be and how many letters will be in each word, which should give you a hand too. You'll also notice that within each set of boxes, one of the squares are yellow. As you solve each anagram, note down the letter which appears in the yellow squares, and if you can solve all of the anagrams, you'll also get a bonus anagram to solve from completing all of the others. I've included the letter configuration for this one at the bottom too, just to give you an extra helping hand. Best of luck!
1. DO PEP CHALKING
2. CHUG CHIC RANK
3. MY NET LOOM
4. ABBEY CHAP
5. BY REWORDS
6. CHIME MAT
7. DO WAVING LOOKUP
8. SCAN IS SPIDERY
9. MAN CAMPS
10. ALL GIVER
- Pink Gold Peach
- Chargin' Chuck
- Monty Mole
- Baby Peach
- Dry Bowser
- Ludwig von Koopa
- Princess Daisy
- Ms. Pac-Man
Bonus anagram: Inkling Boy
Hello Fun Stuff readers, and welcome to another exciting and cool Word Search for exciting and cool people. A new Pokémon game has come out, and while there may be some technical issues, I've found Pokémon Scarlet to be a whole lot of fun. In the same vain, while not everyone (including someone that may or may not run this very team) likes the Pokémon introduced this gen, I found them to be some of the most creative Pokémon created in years! So this month's Word Search is all about a select few of my favorite of Gen 9's Pokémon! For this month, words can be found horizontal, vertical, and backwards. As always, stay safe and have fun!
Hey all, MarioMorty here, and it's that time of year again. So to go with this year's holiday theme of The 'Shroom, I've got a Crosswords Challenge for you. Every single racer from the mainline Mario Karts. Some color variants like the Yoshi and Shy Guy colors are excluded, but otherwise, enjoy this 50-word crossword and happy holidays.
Hello there, 'Shroom readers! Welcome to another issue of Hiding Koopa. Did you know that according to Nintendo Power, Koopa Troopa doesn't return as a playable character in Mario Kart 64 because Wario stole their kart? Looks like the Koopas are on a mission to get it back, though. They're spying on Wario in this art from Mario Kart 64! Can you find all five?
Thanks for playing! Did you find them all? If you did, you're number one, so watch out for those Spiny Shells!
Where in the Marioverse is Carmen Sandiego?
Each issue, you will be given a case to solve and clues to use to help you find the solution! Use your Mario knowledge to crack the case!
You will begin each case at the scene of the crime, and you will be given three clues from passerby as to where the next hot spot is and what game it’s from. Using your knowledge of Mario games and the Super Mario Wiki, figure out where the crook is and go track them down! There are four locations each round: the crime scene (1) at the start, two locations (2 and 3) with clues, and the hideout for the crook of the month (4). Answers for locations will be given with the corresponding round, for example, the clues from the crime scene will lead you to location 2, and once you open the spoiler bubbles for location 2, you will be given the correct answer. You can open the clues for each location in any order you’d like, but be careful! You may encounter an incorrect clue that could throw you off the case!
Clues offered will give you a hint either about the next location or the game it’s in. Unlike a regular Carmen Sandiego game, you do not have to collect information about the crook you are tracking down.
Challenge round (optional):
-Find all locations and games correctly in two minutes or less
-Find all locations and games correctly without using the rest of the Wiki for help
“We've got a yellow flag waving on the track, gumshoe! One of Carmen's sleeper agents has nicked both of the trophies for the Wave 3 Booster Course cups, the Rock Cup and the Moon Cup. I know you're probably still tired of moons after Super Mario Odyssey, but without these trophies, Mario and co. can't reward winners for all of their hard work! These two cups have many fan-favorite tracks as well, such as Maple Treeway, Rock Rock Mountain, and 3DS Rainbow Road, and racers are excited to break out their karts and race on them, but what's the point of a Mario Kart race without a fancy trophy that's as tall as you for winning? It's time to put the pedal to the metal and solve this case!”
“Spectacular work, gumshoe! You managed to track down Carmen's crony and get the two trophies back! Now, racers can finish their DLC races and receive a shiny prize at the end for all of their hard work! Mario has sent you another custom trophy- this one seems to be full of maple leaves and rocks. Souvenirs from some of the standout courses, perhaps? We'll add it to your growing trophy collection. Hop out of the Kart, gumshoe, and put your feet up- you've earned a break until your next case comes in!”
Hi, I'm WildWario, and this is Musical Quiz. This game is simple, just listen to the music and guess where it comes from. The answers can be found at the bottom of the list. This time, the theme is music from the Super Mario series, and this time, there will be 18 questions, so try your very best to guess the questions correctly. side note: I do know that the theme for this issue is Mario Kart, but I've already done that theme, so...
| Song No.1 ||File info|
| Song No.2 ||File info|
| Song No.3 ||File info|
| Song No.4 ||File info|
| Song No.5 ||File info|
| Song No.6 ||File info|
| Song No.7 ||File info|
| Song No.8 ||File info|
| Song No.9 ||File info|
| Song No.10 ||File info|
| Song No.11 ||File info|
| Song No.12 ||File info|
| Song No.13 ||File info|
| Song No.14 ||File info|
| Song No.15 ||File info|
| Song No.16 ||File info|
| Song No.17 ||File info|
| Song No.18 ||File info|
That's it for this issue's Musical Quiz. See you next issue for another quiz.
The damnedest thing happened this month guys. Once again, instead of forcing Rose to put Trivia into the 'Shroom at 3 am the day of release, I wrote Trivia with plenty of time to spare. It’s a mighty peculiar phenomenon if you ask me. Anyways, this month's Trivia is about Pokémon so did you know?
- That Rhydon was the first Pokémon ever created?
- That Ash's Tauros' are the only Pokémon an anime main character has ever caught from a banned episode?
- That Ash's Kingler holds the longest gap between appearances for a main character's Pokémon, at 792 episodes?
- That in Generation 1, the SNES inside Copycat's house in Saffron City is playing the Japanese-exclusive game Mario and Wario, which was also made by Game Freak?
- That due to a glitch in the code, the Moon Ball from Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal actually helps catch Pokémon that evolve via Burn Heals, not Moon Stones?
- That in Pokémon Red & Blue, if you talk to the scientist inside the Pokémon Lab after trading him a Raichu for his Electrode, he tells you that the Raichu evolved?
- That Jimmy Carter is the only President of the United States who served a full term and never got to appoint a Supreme Court Justice?
- That Freeze is the only status effect that doesn't have a move guaranteed to make it happen?
- That, despite being a ghost, the ghost Marowak found in Lavender Tower is still a Ground type and not a Ghost type?
- That Ash's Noctowl is the only shiny Pokémon he's ever caught?
- That despite the type existing since Generation 1, there were 0 pure Flying type Pokémon until Generation 5’s Tornadus?
- That, in addition, Flying type has the least amount of pure type Pokémon, with only three?
- That despite canonically needing a Shellder to evolve, Slowpoke evolves into Slowbro via level-up regardless if you have a Shellder or not?
- That despite being famous for its long tongue, Lickitung couldn't actually learn Lick until Generation 2?
- That prior to Generation 8, the only generation where you could legitimately have a Shedninja in anything but a basic Poké Ball was Generation 3? This is because in Generation 3, rather than take a Poké Ball from your inventory, the game instead copies whatever Poké Ball you had caught the Ninjask in.
- That Porygon2 and Porygon-Z are the only regular Pokémon who have never appeared in the anime?
- That Poison type is the only type which existed at the time that is not mentioned in the anime song "2.B.A Master"?
- That the reason the GS Ball was quietly dropped from the Pokémon Johto anime was because it was originally going to contain Celebi, who upon being released would've become the star of an arc featuring Ash and the gang palling around with it? The decision was made to have Pokémon 4Ever star Celebi instead, so the arc was shelved. This made the GS Ball no longer important, so the writers decided to have it be dropped off at Kurt's for "studying" with the hopes that viewers would forget all about it.
- That in Pokémon Red & Blue, Brock has five Full Heals per Pokémon?
- That Lugia is the only Pokémon that was originally designed for the anime, not the games?
- That the original plot for the third Pokémon movie was going to involve a real life Tyrannosaurus Rex being brought back to life and going on a rampage in the Pokémon World?
|The 'Shroom: Issue 189|
|Staff sections||Staff Notes • The 'Shroom Spotlight • End-of-the-Year Awards • Director Election • The 'Shroom Holiday Scavenger|
|Features||Fake News • Fun Stuff • Palette Swap • Pipe Plaza • Critic Corner • Strategy Wing|
|Specials||Thank You, Ninja Squid! • PC Election Proposal|