Crane Game (minigame)
|Appears in||Mario Party|
Mario Party 2
|Time limit||30 seconds|
|Music track||Coins of the World (Mario Party)|
This Way That (Mario Party 2)
The minigame involves three players lying around as stuffed dolls while another player, being hoisted by a crane, tries to pick them up and drop them in a pipe. Characters can try to wiggle free if grabbed by repeatedly tapping . The player attached to the crane can hold on to the character they have grabbed by repeatedly tapping ; this is not necessary for grabbed objects, as they cannot be dropped once picked up.
In the original Mario Party, the player on the crane has to pick one of the other characters only. The player can also choose to pick up a Treasure Chest worth ten Coins, a Coin Bag worth five Coins, or a single Coin. If the player on the crane successfully drops a character into the pipe, they take one-third of that player's Coins, but if the character is dropped to the ground before reaching the pipe, the minigame ends and the solo player gets nothing. This version is set inside a building similar to a claw machine.
In Mario Party 2, the rules of the minigame underwent a change, as the player on the crane must capture all three opponents. To make this task easier, time bonuses (stopwatches with "+15," "+20," or "+30" imprinted) were introduced. When the player drops one of them into the pipe, more time is added to the minigame timer according to what the watch shows. This version is set inside a machine in the style of a lunar landscape, and the crane resembles a UFO.
In the Mini-Game Coaster, the human player always plays against the team of three.
Solo (1 player)
- – Move
- – Drop crane
- (Repeatedly) – Hold on
Group (3 players)
- (Repeatedly) – Wiggle free
- Game Rules – "You are the Crane Game crane. Try to grab the prizes by pressing repeatedly. If caught, wiggle free with ."
- Game Rules (Mini-Game Island) – "Be the Crane Game's crane, and try to grab a prize. Grab one person and drop them in the pipe to clear the game."
- Advice – "When you grab somebody, you steal one-third of all their Coins."
Mario Party 2
- Game Rules – "It's the new and improved Crane Game! Drop all your stuffed rivals into the pipe to win. Leave none behind!"
- Game Rules (Mini-Game Coaster) – "You are the Crane Game crane! Grab all three opponents and drop them in the pipe to clear this Mini-Game."
- Advice – "Grab the clocks to add the number of seconds shown to the timer. Grab a clock by pressing the Button once."
Names in other languages
Motto Kurekure Kurēn
|Gimme Gimme! Crane (Mario Party)|
More Gimme Gimme Crane (Mario Party 2)
|French||Jeu de la grue||Crane Game|
|Italian||Gru Spaziale||Space Crane|
|Spanish||Juego del Gancho||Hook Game|
- In Mario Party, the controls for the solo player on the Game Rules screen say the A Button is used to "(Repeatedly) Grab," but in Mario Party 2, the controls for the solo player say the A Button is used to "(Repeatedly) Hold On."
|Minigames from Mario Party|
|4-Player minigames||Balloon Burst • Bombs Away • Box Mountain Mayhem • Bumper Balls • Buried Treasure • Cast Aways • Coin Block Blitz • Crazy Cutter • Face Lift • Grab Bag • Hammer Drop • Hot Bob-omb • Hot Rope Jump • Key-pa-Way • Mario Bandstand • Mushroom Mix-Up • Musical Mushroom • Platform Peril • Running of the Bulb • Shy Guy Says • Skateboard Scamper • Slot Car Derby • Tipsy Tourney • Treasure Divers|
|1-vs-3 minigames||Bash 'n' Cash • Bowl Over • Coin Block Bash • Coin Shower Flower • Crane Game • Paddle Battle • Pipe Maze • Piranha's Pursuit • Tightrope Treachery • Tug o' War|
|2-vs-2 minigames||Bobsled Run • Bombsketball • Deep Sea Divers • Desert Dash • Handcar Havoc|
|1-Player minigames||Bumper Ball Maze • Ghost Guess • Ground Pound • Knock Block Tower • Limbo Dance • Memory Match • Pedal Power • Shell Game • Slot Machine • Teetering Towers • Whack-a-Plant|