Talk:Super Mario 3D World
|Super Mario 3D World talk
- 1 Something missing
- 2 Spelling error
- 3 disvantage is not a word
- 4 Special Worlds named after Mario Kart Nitro Cups?
- 5 Decide what to do with the tables
- It was in the standard Items segment, but it makes more sense for it to be in Supporting Items, doesn't it? I have moved it. 13:39, 21 February 2017 (EST)
disvantage is not a word
maybe try disadvantage? 126.96.36.199 22:30, 3 June 2017 (EDT)
Special Worlds named after Mario Kart Nitro Cups?
I just found out that the names of each special world in this game (Mushroom, Flower, Star, Crown) correspond to the Mario Kart Nitro Cups. Should I add this to the trivia section, or is this just a coincidence? 15:46, 26 August 2017 (EDT)
- Not necessarily the case. The usage of Mushroom, Flower, Star, and Crown isn't specific to the Mario Kart series (used in many other Mario Sports games as well). While it does originate from the Mario Kart series, using these items to symbolize ranks is a too common use for it to be specific to Mario Kart any more. (T|C) 15:54, 26 August 2017 (EDT)
Decide what to do with the tables
|This talk page proposal has already been settled. Please do not edit any of the sections in the proposal. If you wish to discuss the article, do so in a new header below the proposal.|
Use long tables 1-0-3-8-1-0
This has been discussed on MarioWiki:Featured articles/Unfeature/N1/Super Mario 3D World, but it seems that there isn't a good agreement on what should be done with the tables.
Enemies and Obstacles: I think that the enemies and obstacles should be written with galleries instead of tables. This makes it much smaller and easier to read, and it works properly on mobile (although it may be long on phones). The problem with this though is that it removes the descriptions. In my opinion, the descriptions are not necessary for the enemies because a user who wants to learn more about the enemy can just go to the enemy's article. It seems pointless to have large amounts of info on this page when it is covered in each enemy's article, and people are probably looking to see at a glance what enemies are in the game, not scroll through a long list with detailed descriptions of each of them.
Items: However, I do think it is a good idea to have very short (1-2 sentence) descriptions of the items, but is it worth keeping the bad table? Is there a better way to do it?
Per Alex95 below, we could also do standard long tables like the original ones. These are mobile-compatible and provide the descriptions, but are extremely long.
Change Enemies/Obstacles to galleries
Change Items table to galleries
Change both to galleries
- Alex95 (talk) - This could work. This would be my preferred choice.
- Ultimate Mr. L (talk) Per Alex95.
- Astro-Lanceur (talk)Per Alex95.
Long tables like the original ones
- Alex95 (talk) - View comment.
- Ultimate Mr. L (talk) Per Alex95. This is my preferred choice.
- Baby Luigi (talk) Always was my preferred choice.
- TheFlameChomp (talk) Per all.
- YoshiFlutterJump (talk) Per all.
- Lcrossmk8 (talk) This sounds like the best choice out of everything.
- BBQ Turtle (talk) I thought that's what it still had, per all.
- Toadette the Achiever (talk) Preferred choice, per all.
One thing I suggested on the unfeature page was a standard table. Nothing complex like we have now, just a simple chart:
|Super Bell Hill||A common enemy that charges at the player on sight. Can be defeated with any attack.|
- This is very similar to what we used to have on the article. This would normally be the best option for games without as many enemies, but it made this page extremely long, which is why it was changed to what we have now. When the page is extremely long and not very dense, it makes it very difficult for readers to find information quickly and see it easily. There is also enough inconsistency in the images that reducing the size would make many of them too small. I think it could be a good option for mobile, but it would make desktop viewing very bad. --Super Mario Fan 67 (T•C•S) 23:27, 4 January 2018 (EST)
How about we just move the enemy section into its own page, then make the table vertical. (Although TBH, the current tables are completely compatible with my phone, but this would solve problems for all.) MarioWiki:Article size clearly dictates that if an article is too long, it should be split. Besides, a standard for featured articles is to be well-detailed, which most certainly applies to subjects such as enemies. If we were to remove the descriptions completely, we should do so for many other featured articles for consistency. -- -- 17:25, 5 January 2018 (EST)
- I don't think the table would be long enough to necessitate that. The subpages would be tiny. Hello, I'm Time Turner. 17:30, 5 January 2018 (EST)