"Varia Suit" is just the name for one suit variation of Samus (the purple outfit from Melee). This didn't have an official name in Super Smash Bros. Brawl at all, the official name came directly from Metroid, where Samus's basic suit is called Power Suit. With the Varia Suit, Samus can endure heat. It's a power up. If anything, "Power Suit" is the correct name for this page. But then, Samus has alternate outfits in Brawl which give her different suits. As Zero Suit Samus's Final Smash is called "Power Suit Samus" by the Dojo, I assume that Power Suit should be used here. - Cobold (talk · contribs) 15:42, 4 February 2008 (EST)
- no way. See the Fusion Suit image, isnt the fusion suit, just a painting of the varia suit 15:50, 4 February 2008 (EST)
- the varia suit is yellow...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samus_Aran
- “When Samus destroys her Power Suit, she’s left with the Zero Suit. What she’s lost in power and weaponry, she makes up for in speed!”
- —Zero Suit Samus profile
- k...but i prefer varia
Move to Varia Suit or delete it altogether
|This talk page proposal has already been settled. Please do not edit any of the sections in the proposal. If you wish to discuss the article, do so in a new header below the proposal.|
failed to reach consensus 1-8-8
I'm curious as to why this page exists. For one thing, the information is actually incorrect. What this page calls the Power Suit is actually Samus's Varia Suit. The Power Suit lacks the shoulder pads and is more yellow in color, whereas the Varia Suit is orange and has different properties. Sure, the information for Power Suit Samus calls her suit in Super Smash Bros. the "Power Suit", but that itself is incorrect.
Another point is that it doesn't seem to have any purpose for either the Mario series or the Super Smash Bros. series. The only time the Power/Varia Suit needs to be mentioned is during Zero Laser's Brawl information about how it falls apart. And there doesn't appear to be enough information for this to have its own page on the Mario Wiki, with the only meaningful information it has is "It falls apart during Samus's Final Smash". It's better suited (pun) to be on Zero Laser's page.
So I'm proposing either we get this information correct and call it the Varia Suit (which is currently a redirect to the incorrectly named page), or merge this information with Zero Laser and delete this page entirely (or turn it into a redirect for Zero Laser).
Saturday, March 18th, 2017 23:59 GMT Extended to Saturday, April 1st, 2017, 23:59 GMT Extended to Saturday, April 8th, 2017, 23:59 GMT Extended to Saturday, April 15th, 2017, 23:59 GMT
Proposer: Alex95 (talk)
Move page to Varia Suit and correct the information
Delete page and move the info to Zero Laser's page
- Alex95 (talk) I'd prefer this option. There's not enough info for the suit to warrant a full page on the wiki.
- Luigi 64DD (talk) Article is too small and the information can be satisfactorily be given on the Zero Laser page.
- Yoshi the Space Station Manager (talk) per Luigi 64DD.
- Ultimate Mr. L (talk) Per Luigi64DD and his comments.
- A51 Trooper (talk) Per Luigi 64DD.
- The Koopa Bro. (talk) Per Luigi 64DD
- Magikrazy (talk) I don't think this topic warrants a dedicated article. What can you say about it that couldn't fit in Zero Laser's page, especially when that's really the only relevance Power Suit has to Mario? I'm definitely with Luigi 64DD on this one.
- Bwburke94 (talk) Per Magikrazy.
- SmokedChili (talk) I personally see no reason for either action. I think it's better that we make some mention about Samus' Power Suit having the colors of Varia Suit for her default palette.
- Baby Luigi (talk) Per SmokedChili and his comments.
- Marshal Dan Troop (talk) We have articles on every other item in Smash Bros. so I think this should stay.
- Toadette the Achiever (talk) Per all.
- Time Turner (talk)Per all.
- Tails777 (talk) Per all.
- TheFlameChomp (talk) I originally voted to delete the page, but I changed my mind because the SmashWiki has a similar page, though it is called "Power Suit Piece".
- Wildgoosespeeder (talk) I already have opposition covering a lot of things in Super Smash Bros. (series) that aren't Mario-related on MarioWiki. No need to adopt the term from Metroid Wiki.
See, while the article is small, I think it's meant to talk more about the power suit pieces as items. Cause remember, they can be picked up and thrown, much like Green Shells or Bob-ombs (albeit lacking any additional effects outside of damage). So maybe the solution should be to clean the little article up a bit and specify what the suit is used for outside of Samus' abilities (which is covered on Samus' article)
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the use of the name Power Suit is probably because that's how the name is used in Brawl. I could be wrong, but I've read it being called the Power Suit more than the Varia suit in game. Incorrect or not, I think Power Suit can still pass as the article's name. Tails777 Talk to me!
- Really the only amount of info the Power/Varia Suit has that is relevant to the Mario or Smash universe is that it falls apart when Zero Laser is used and can thrown at opponents. Aside from mentioning that it's the suit Samus wears, the only relevant info to this wiki can fit in one sentence. It would better fit in the Zero Laser article, actually.
- Yeah, it's called Power Suit Samus in Brawl, but keep in mind that it also calls this suit the Power Suit as well, which is correct. The Power Suit shown in the trophy is clearly not the suit Samus wears in Smash. 22:01, 4 March 2017 (EST)
Expanding on my vote above, this proposal doesn't seem to take the color swaps into consideration. Gravity Suit palette is still called Power Suit, Fusion Suit palette is also called Power Suit etc. "Power Suit" used here seems more like the catch-all term for the attack and item pieces to me. SmokedChili (talk) 07:30, 5 March 2017 (EST)
- The point I'm trying to make here is that the overall suit being called the "Power Suit" is incorrect. In Smash, Samus wears her Varia Suit. Sure, we can mention that Samus's alts are the colors of other suits, but this came to be a big misunderstanding due to Brawl calling the Final Smash by the wrong name. 11:48, 5 March 2017 (EST)
- Calling it generally Power Suit when Varia Suit is on is actually a thing in the Metroid series. In Fusion when Samus monologues about the X Parasite infecting her in the prologue, and in Zero Mission when Samus gets the "fully powered Power Suit". I thus fail to see how it would be wrong. SmokedChili (talk) 14:06, 5 March 2017 (EST)
I don't understand why this should have it's own page when it already says the information about its ability to be thrown on the Zero Laser page. While Alex95 suggested moving said information to Zero Laser, if you look on the article, it has all the information that's on the Power Suit page except for "The Power Suit is one of Samus Aran's suits from the Metroid series," which doesn't seem to be necessary information.
(talk·edits) 16:16, 6 March 2017 (EST)
I'd like to bring up that while there is some reasoning in that the Power Suit pieces can become items, I still don't think this is enough to warrant a separate page. Is there any real reason a single sentence explaining that the Power Suit pieces can become items won't belong on Zero Laser's page? Should I start writing up articles on Wario Bike wheels and R.O.B.'s Gyros? Magikrazy (talk) 13:21, 24 March 2017 (EDT)
@Wildgoosespeeder If you "have opposition covering a lot of things in Super Smash Bros. (series) that aren't Mario-related on MarioWiki", why are you voting to keep the article? In my mind, giving this its own article is already over-coverage of the Smash Bros. series.
(talk·edits) 15:04, 7 April 2017 (EDT)