The fireball gun, also known as the Fry Guy Flamethrower, the toaster, flamethrower, flame thrower, fireball thrower, and flame-throwing gun, is a weapon used in the Super Mario Bros. film. As its name suggested, it shoots fireballs as opposed to bullets.
President Koopa threatens Mario and Luigi with a fireball gun during their battle, only to be launched into an empty vat by a Thwomp Stomper-using Mario. When the dimensions merge, the fireball gun malfunctions, forcing Koopa to discard it for a Devolution Gun. Upon returning to Dinohattan, Koopa manages to get the gun to work again and fires it at the Mario Bros., only to miss and hit a Koopa propaganda poster depicting him kissing a baby, enabling the brothers to get a clear shot at him with Devolution Guns.
Three weeks later, Daisy shows up at the Mario Bros.' home armed with a fireball gun, asking for help.
- One of the names for the fireball gun is the "Fry Guy Flamethrower" in reference to the Fryguy enemy introduced in Super Mario Bros. 2. A neon sign in the Boom Boom Bar says "These premises are protected by Fry Guy Flamethrowers".
- Todd Strasser, Super Mario Bros., Fantail, 1993, ISBN 0-14-090037-3.
- Screenshot courtesy of smbmovie.com
- "One of the most interesting elements of the production of SUPER MARIO BROS. was the detail incorporated into the weapons seen throughout the film. Seen here is a detailed production sketch of a "toaster," a mini-flamethrower used by Koopa towards the end of the movie." from #94 of the Super Mario Bros. Trading Cards
- https://www.smbmovie.com/SMBArchive/preproduction/script/rainbowdraft.pdf Super Mario Bros. Movie Archive, shooting rewrites 2
- https://www.smbmovie.com/SMBArchive/merchandise/toys.htm Super Mario Bros. Movie Archive, action figure packaging
- https://www.smbmovie.com/SMBArchive/merchandise/promo/presskit/presskit_booklet.html Super Mario Bros. Movie Archive, presskit
|Super Mario Bros. film|
|Protagonists||Mario • Luigi • Toad • Princess Daisy • The King • Daniella • Yoshi|
|Antagonists||President Koopa • Lena • Iggy • Spike • Sergeant Simon • Big Bertha • Anthony Scapelli|
|Minor characters||Angelica • Daisy's mother • Egon • Hat Check Girl • James • Old lady • Pizza Delivery Boy|
|Species||Dinohattanite • Fungus Unit • Goombas • Snifits|
|Locations||Dinohattan • Devo 4 • Devo Chamber • Koopa Square • Boom Boom Bar • Koopa's Tower • Koopahari Desert|
|Companies||Mario Brothers Plumbing • Scapelli Construction|
|Objects, items, etc.||Bob-ombs • De-evolution • Devolution Gun • Fireball gun • Meteorite piece • Thwomp Stompers|
|Music||Original Motion Picture Soundtrack • Almost Unreal • Walk the Dinosaur • Super Mario Bros. / No Mercy|
|Manga||Super Mario Makai Teikoku no Megami • Exploding Mushroom|
|Miscellaneous||Deleted scenes • ERTL Merchandise • Gallery • The Making of... Super Mario Bros. • Sludge Gulper • Staff • Trading Cards|