Changing the name to Superball Flower
I think the name of this article should be "Superball Flower". Isn't that the official name of this item? (the reason the name of this page is Flower (Super Mario Land) is because Superball Flower just redirects to the Flower article.)
- The official name is in fact simply "Flower". So the title is correct.
Rename to Super Flower or Superball Flower
|This talk page proposal has already been settled. Please do not edit any of the sections in the proposal. If you wish to discuss the article, do so in a new header below the proposal.|
Move to Superball Flower 3-9-1
I think "Super Flower" is a better name for this item. Not only have I been calling it that since I first started playing the game ~18 years ago, it's the first name this item is called by according to the references. Additionally, Super Flower redirects to Flower (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars), which, as far as I can tell, does not have a reference for that name unlike this one.
The disambiguation page Flower will also be expanded to cover other flowers in the series.
Additional Information! The Nintendo Power Game Boy Player's Guide calls this a "Superball Flower". An additional option for that name has been added. Regardless of what option passes, the redirect Super Flower will be changed to point to here.
Move to Super Flower
- Alex95 (talk) - Per my five-year-old self
- Wildgoosespeeder (talk) Great way to remove the identifier. First choice. Ice Flower, Fire Flower, Super Flower. Great pattern for omitting "ball" with other projectiles (Iceball, Fireball, and Superball).
- Owencrazyboy9 (talk) On the other hand, if instruction manuals overpower video game strategy guides, then this would be my second choice. Definitely wouldn't want to consider opposing it entirely. Per all.
Move to Superball Flower
- Alex95 (talk) - Since Super Flower appears to be a translation error, this would be my preferred choice.
- LinkTheLefty (talk) - Since the above would appear to be a misprint, this seems the most preferable name, especially with the likely passing of this proposal.
- Yoshi the SSM (talk) This option makes the most sense to choose from. Fire is to Fire Flower as Superball is to this.
- TheFlameChomp (talk) Per proposal.
- Niiue (talk) Per all.
- Wildgoosespeeder (talk) Great way to remove the identifier. Second choice. Ice Flower, Fire Flower, Superball Flower. Decent pattern.
- Owencrazyboy9 (talk) If video game strategy guides overpower instruction manuals, then count me in! Per all.
- Doc von Schmeltwick (talk) Hey, if the source heirarchy can be circumnavigated without a proposal or even to an actual English name, I see no problem here.
- LuigiMaster123 (talk) - Name looks really good and is consistent with Superball Mario. Per all.
- LinkTheLefty (talk) - On the other hand, we do have a source hierarchy, and the above is just not present in the game or manual. I can't think of many cases where a guide overrides the game and manual.
- As far as I know, this is a mistake caused by a somewhat iffy translation, as evidenced by the Japanese reference that covers the same portion of the manual. The redirect should change, however. LinkTheLefty (talk) 12:39, 19 October 2017 (EDT)
- Alright, well, I do think Super Flower would help differentiate this from the others. Translation error or not, it's still official. I agree on the redirect should this fail, though. 12:42, 19 October 2017 (EDT)
- That's not official though, as far as I can tell. 12:44, 19 October 2017 (EDT)
- I stand corrected! Nintendo Power calls it that in their Game Boy Player's Guide. Should that name be added to the proposal?
- And checking the Game Boy Player's Guide, the Fire Flower reference appears to be wrong. The guide makes no mention of Fire Flower, instead it's Superball Flower. 12:47, 19 October 2017 (EDT)
I don't think we should move the RPG item over the disambiguation page, since we might have people unversed in the franchise trying to find Fire Flower, as well as the fact that if the manual does indeed call this flower, then someone with the manual might be looking for it. Doc von Schmeltwick (talk) 17:37, 19 October 2017 (EDT)
I want to mention that if I didn't hold a proposal, this page would remain, since that's how the Naming standards are. The point of this proposal is to go against that and call the Flower by a better name. Proposals are meant to change things, after all. 17:01, 25 October 2017 (EDT)