The Message Board's appearance in Game & Watch Gallery 4
|First appearance||Game & Watch Gallery 2 (1997)|
|Latest appearance||Game & Watch Gallery 4 (2002)|
The Message Board (Note Board prior to Game & Watch Gallery 4) is a location in the Game & Watch Gallery series that commonly stores messages about the game itself and tips and attacks about its respective minigames. As in Game & Watch Gallery, the Gallery Corner itself does not appear, but Tips & Attacks (they appear after the player loses any match (any game/version) with fewer than 100 points) and Notes (they appear before the player enters the Game Select screen) are included separately.
Game & Watch Gallery 2
In Game & Watch Gallery 2, the Note Board stores unsorted messages (the rightmost message is the first obtained, and the leftmost one is the latest obtained). It seems to be located in the sky (with a castle as a background), with Toad (who hosts the Note Board) and Mario (who plays a Game Boy Color). In the messages, Toad appears to be sitting (with a grassy plain as a background).
Game & Watch Gallery 3
The Note Board in Game & Watch Gallery 3 now sorts the messages and tips/attacks separately. It seems to be located in a grassy plain (with hills as a background), with Toad (who hosts the messages and goes to sleep when not highlighted) and Yoshi (who hosts the Tips & Attacks and plays a Game Boy Color when not highlighted). In the messages, a Shy Guy and a faced flower appear (with a grassy plain, a lake, a forest, and pyramids as a background).
Game & Watch Gallery 4
In this game, the Note Board is now called the Message Board. It seems to be located in an amusement park (as a background), with Yoshi (who now hosts the note messages, sitting in a hammock lifted by balloons (a Yoshi Egg one, a Super Star one, a Mushroom one, and a Bob-omb one) while holding a balloon that says "Message," and eats fruit when not highlighted) and Toad (who now hosts the Hints and Techniques messages, holding on from a balloon that says "Hints and Techniques" while dropping bulletins, and turns around when not highlighted). In the note messages, Yoshi appears to be eating mushrooms (with some trees as a border), and in the Hints and Techniques messages, some Toads appear to be carrying some items and coming from a Warp Pipe.
List of messages
Messages marked with * (asterisk) are not stored in the Message Board (does not apply for Game & Watch Gallery).
Game & Watch Gallery
- Interrupt Save: "When paused, switch POWER to OFF to do Interrupt Save."
- BGM Mute: "On the Mode Select screen, press SELECT to mute the music."
- "You did it! You've earned all rank stars in Manhole's Modern mode. Bonus: Now you can try Very Hard."
- "You did it! You've earned all rank stars in Fire's Modern mode. Bonus: Now you can try Very Hard."
- "You did it! You've earned all rank stars in Octopus's Modern mode. Bonus: Now you can try Very Hard."
- "You did it! You've earned all rank stars in Oil Panic's Modern mode. Bonus: Now you can try Very Hard."
- "Welcome!! Gallery Corner is now open. You can open the ☆ panels, but not those with a ?."
- "You did it!! You get all ☆'s in all 4 games. You get a ☆ for every 200 points. How many can you get?"
- Secret: "Are you becoming skilled at this game? When you get more than 999 points, I will tell a secret."
Tips & Attacks
- Modern Manhole Hint: "Try not to let the manholes drop. Use the A Button to move diagonally."
- Classic Manhole Hint: "Pedestrians on the top and bottom step alternately. Don't mistake which one will step first."
- Modern Fire Hint: "Learn how each character falls when they jump. If you know their timing it's easy. Now shoot for 200 points!"
- Classic Fire Hint: "Everyone falls at the same speed. Catch them in the order they jump."
- Modern Octopus Hint: "When it gets tight, throw treasure with the B Button to knock his leg back."
- Classic Octopus Hint: "Remember how far the legs reach. There's a safe place even when all the legs are out."
- Modern Oil Panic Hint: "Novices should empty the pail before it gets full. Once you have it down, try giving Yoshi a full one."
- Classic Oil Panic Hint: "You can miss two times each on both top and bottom. Every drip of oil you dump, earns more points."
Game & Watch Gallery 2
- Interrupt Save: "Pause during the game and switch Power OFF. Next time you play, you can continue your game."
- The Note Board: "The Note Board informs you many things. For example: Press SELECT on the Mode Select screen to turn BGM in Modern off."
- Star Mode: "Break 1000 in Modern Mode and Star Mode opens up. Put the cursor on Modern and press up on the + Control Pad!"
- The Music Room: "In the Music Room, you can listen to the game music. Every game that you conquer gives you more music to hear."
- The Museum: "Info about G&W titles is found here. Scoring high lets you see more titles. Score 1000 in all games of G&W Gallery and link to this one to see them too."
- Classic Ball: "Thanks for playing so much! Conquer Classic Ball. Something good might just happen!"
- Modern Ball: "You tried very hard! I'll give you a Modern Ball as a present. In Star Mode, lots of things will change."
- "Wow!! You did it! Gallery Corner will now have a new event! Let's go and open its panel right now."*
- "Bonus: This panel...? I can see now. Here's the original, the classic game of Ball!"*
- News Flash: "A new event has just opened in the Gallery Corner. Wouldn't you like to go and sneak a peek?"*
- "Hi! I posted a secret of this game in the Note Board. Go see it!"*
- "What's This? In the Gallery Corner Museum a new Title was just added. I wonder what kind of game it is!"*
- "Check it out! A new version of Modern Mode Ball has been added. Go play it!"*
Tips & Attacks
- Modern Parachute Hint: "The parachute for each character will open at different heights and the air ship moves. The Cheep Cheep will help too."
- Modern Parachute Secret: "Bonus chance at 100 points. Catch the star for a bonus! If a Boo Buddy is caught, it'll be trouble!"
- Classic Parachute Hint: "The skydivers fall in three spots. The one on the right falls fastest. Decide quickly where they will drop."
- Classic Parachute Secret: "On Hard, a 'chute can get caught by a tree. The time it stays hooked changes depending on your score."
- Modern Helmet Hint: "The coins you have when entering the door determine your points. More coins earn a higher score, but you slow."
- Modern Helmet Secret: "At 50 coins a star appears. At 500 and 1000 points, the stage changes. If you score less than 100, you might want to keep trying."
- Classic Helmet Hint: "The door will open and close at certain times. Objects will fall from the left in order."
- Classic Helmet Secret: "If falling objects can't enter the door, they will be collected. If 3 fall on the ground, you get one point."
- Modern Chef Hint: "Yoshi follows Peach around. Feed him well roasted meals for points. Don't let them get burned."
- Modern Chef Secret: "When Yoshi eats well cooked food, he'll grow. If he eats raw or burned food, the level will go down."
- Classic Chef Hint: "It's helpful if you learn the order that the food moves. Watch out! The flip heights are random."
- Classic Chef Secret: "Even when the food falls to the bottom, you still have a little time. Don't just wait patiently at the bottom."
- Modern Vermin Hint: "Eggs can be hit twice. If an egg is fully broken, it's Game Over. Protect the cracked eggs."
- Modern Vermin Secret: "Undamaged eggs score a bonus every 200 points. Boo Buddy won't move if Yoshi is watching it."
- Classic Vermin Hint: "Learn the tempo and the times of the moles and it'll be easier."
- Classic Vermin Secret: "Misses are not cleared in this game. You need to be very careful!"
- Modern Donkey Kong Hint: "Avoid barrels by jumping them, or by hanging on to ivy, chains or a pipe. If the switch is ON, jump with caution."
- Modern Donkey Kong Secret: "You can stomp a Koopa Troopa when it is exiting the barrel. Be careful!"
- Classic Donkey Kong Hint: "Learn where you can jump the barrel. If you don't catch the hook, the speed increases. So, do it quickly."
- Classic Donkey Kong Secret: "A miss is cleared when you reach 300 points. If you score 300 without a mistake, points are doubled until you do."
- Modern Ball Hint: "The way to fire up is the same as the Classic Mode. Learn to time the falls."
- Modern Ball Secret: "Catch all the characters that fall. With some points you get bonus points. Catch coins and it's Game Over."
- Classic Ball Hint: "When the ball is lower, you can get them quicker. Once you got the timing, it'll be easy."
- Classic Ball Secret: "Play on Hard. Every time you catch one, you get 10 points. In no time, you'll have enough for a star."
Game & Watch Gallery 3
- Save and Quit: "If you pause the game and turn off the power, you can restart the game from the exact place you quit."
- Gallery Corner: "Collect stars to see Gallery Corner. The higher your score, the more stars you'll collect."
- Note Board: "This is the information for all of the games. Take a look at it sometime for good news. Any new messages will arrive in an envelope."
- Music: "To mute the Modern Mode music, press SELECT on the Mode Select screen."
- Music Room: "In the Music Room, you can check the tune and notes used in a game. The number of tunes available to listen to increases each time you clear a game."
- Museum, Part 1: "This is the place to check out the Classic Game & Watch titles. Each time you clear a game, the number of titles shown here increases."
- Museum, Part 2: "To see all of the titles in the Museum, link with your friend or collect 120 stars. To link with your friend, check the note board for How to Link, Part 1."
- How to Link, Part 1: "If your friend has Game & Watch Gallery 1 or 2, link with 3 to view all the titles in the Museum. Press A for more. Link this screen to the G&W Gallery 1 or 2 Title Screen. To link G&W Gallery 1, you must earn 1000 points in each of G&W Gallery 1 games. Are you ready? Press START now to link!"
- How to Link, Part 2: "Linked battle in Judge. To play Judge, link with your friend's Game & Watch Gallery 3. To quit, press START. You can't pause while playing."
- Star Mode: "If you gain more than 1000 points in a game, while playing in Modern Mode, you can play in Star Mode. This mode is harder than Modern Mode."
- Secrets, Part 1: "Welcome! Here you can hear a secret story about the Game & Watch title, Fire. This game is included in Game & Watch Gallery 1. Check it out!"
- Secrets, Part 2: "Here you can play Fire, introduced in Secrets, Part 1. Remember that you can't pause during gameplay. To quit the game, press START."
- "Yeah! A new building is constructed in Gallery Corner. Let's go see it."*
- "Congratulations! You gained over 1000 points! You can play in the Star Mode now. Check the Note Board for more information about the Star Mode."*
- "Now you can view a new title in the Museum in Gallery Corner. I'm curious what kind of game that is."*
- "Here's a message for you. "I have a gift for you. Please come to the Gallery Corner." Sincerely, Princess Peach."*
- Error occurred: "The Game Link™ Cable is not linked properly, or your friend is not in the "Judge" mode. To play in the 2 player mode, make sure both players select "Judge."
- "Congratulations!! You are the Gallery master! Thank you for playing with us. Hope to see you soon! Bye bye!!"
Tips & Attacks
- Egg Rules: "Move the character in the middle so he can eat the food toward him from both sides. Don't drop any!"
- Modern Egg: "Cookies are being baked as they run on the conveyor belt. You'd better pick one when it is well baked. Don't eat Bob-omb or you will get penalized."
- Classic Egg: "You can make up for a miss when you reach 200 and 500 points. If a hen is in the upper left window, you only get half of a miss."
- Greenhouse Rules: "Stop the insects from getting to the flowers. Also, eat as many watermelons as you can."
- Modern Greenhouse: "You can only hit the monkey at the bottom of a rope. Yoshi gets powered up briefly after eating 10 watermelons. Eat as many as you can."
- Classic Greenhouse: "You can make up for a miss when you gain 300 points. If you reach 300 points before getting a miss your points will be doubled until you get a miss."
- Turtle Bridge Rules: "Get a packet to the man on the island to the left, and pass it to the man on the island to the right. Then return to the first island. Don't fall into the sea!"
- Modern Turtle Bridge: "Take the package from Mario to Peach. Collect as many coins as you can. Watch out! The floating island falls away if you stay too long."
- Classic Turtle Bridge: "In Easy Mode, few fish comes to the middle row. Erase a miss at 200 and 500 points. If you haven't missed, a short Bonus Period with no fish begins."
- Mario Bros. Rules: "Move packages along the conveyor belt and load them onto the truck. If you drop a package, you'll crush it. To win, Mario & Luigi must cooperate."
- Modern Mario Bros: "You get a star each time you fill up the truck. Get 5 stars and earn a bonus. If you get a miss before collecting 5 stars, you lose all of your stars."
- Classic Mario Bros.: "300 points erase a miss. If you reach 300 points before you miss, your points will be doubled."
- DK Jr. Rules: "Get a key to open DK's cage! Jump, or use the ivy to dodge enemies."
- Modern DK Jr.: "Open DK's cage as quickly as you can! The quicker you open the cage, the more points you get. Get the key and find a secret way to make the scaffold appear."
- Classic DK Jr.: "The quicker you get to the key, the more points you earn."
- Flagman: "Game A: Memorize COM's flag order and repeat it. Game B: Raise the same flag as COM, as quickly as possible. Earn a star for every 5 points you get."
- Judge: "When your number is the same or larger than your opponent's, hit him! If it's smaller, run! 20 points=1 star. Link up for a 2-player game."
- Lion: "Use the two men to push the lions into the cage. You can only move one man at a time. Erase a miss every time you gain 200 and 500 points."
- Spitball Sparky: "Hit the blocks to eliminate them. When the ball is in the third row, you can blow it up. Don't drop it! Make all 6 blocks at the top blink by hitting them."
- DK II: "The keys linked to the chains return to their starting point, go and get them! Erase a miss at 300 points, or double points without a miss."
Game & Watch Gallery 4
- Autosave: "Press START during the game and turn the power off to create an autosave. You will start from that point the next time you turn the power on."
- Gallery Corner: "This may start out empty, but it will fill up with fun stuff as you earn stars in games! Get as many stars as you can!"
- Message Board: "This corner has detailed info and hints about the games. Any info you've seen in-game will stay there, so check it anytime!"
- BGM: "When you press SELECT at the Mode Select screen, you'll be able to turn off music in Modern games."
- Music Room: "In the Music Room, you can listen to all of the music played in the games! The more you play, the more songs you can listen to here!"
- Museum: "The Museum holds many little G&Ws! They may be small, but they all work! As you collect stars, the number of G&Ws here increase! I wonder what happens when you collect a ton of stars..."
- G&W History: "In G&W History, you can see the year in which each G&W was originally released."
- Star Mode: "If you get 1,000 points in Modern Mode, you can go from Flower Mode to the more-difficult Star Mode."
- "Congratulations! You must be pretty good to break 1,000 points! Why don't you try the more-difficult Star Mode?"*
- "There's a new item in the Gallery! Quick! Go check it out!"*
- "There's a new G&W in the Museum in the Gallery Corner! I wonder which one it could be..."*
Hints and Techniques
- Fire Rules: "Catch the people falling from the burning building with your rescue net and bounce them to safety. Just don't drop them!"
- Modern Fire: "Different characters fall at different speeds! Bounce the faster ones first."
- Classic Fire: "Everyone falls at the same speed. They all get somewhat faster as you play, but relax and catch them all!"
- Boxing Rules: "There are high and low punches. To block an opponent's punch, move your hands high or low, or just avoid it altogether!"
- Modern Boxing: "Knock out all of the challengers! You get one star for every opponent you KO!
- 3 KO's = 1 star
- 6 KO's = 2 stars
- 9 KO's = 3 stars
- 12 KO's = 4 stars
- 15 KO's = 5 stars"
- Linked Modern Boxing: "Challenge a friend in this Boxing match between Luigi and Waluigi! All you need is one Game Pak and one Game Boy Advance Game Link cable. Earn one star for each match!"
- Classic Boxing: "When you take a punch, your defense meter goes down. When your defenses are gone, every punch will lower your status number even more."
- Linked Classic Boxing: "Challenge a friend in this classic Boxing match! You only need one Game Pak and one Game Boy Advance Game Link cable. Adjust Player Two's defense gauge to set a handicap. Earn one star for each match!"
- Rain Shower Rules: "Shake the rope to keep the falling water balloons from hitting the hanging characters on the head. Pay close attention to where everyone is hanging."
- Modern Rain Shower: "Don't worry about avoiding the falling moons... In fact, if you catch enough, something interesting might happen!"
- Classic Rain Shower: "Each time you score 100 points, the rain will stop for a bit. On Hard, crows will shake the laundry, so be careful."
- Mario's Cement Factory Rules: "The tank only holds three fills, so filling a tank four times will make it spill and cause you to lose a life! Pull the lever to pour the cement and avoid spills! Watch out for those elevators!"
- Modern Mario's Cement Factory: "Pouring out a tank that contains a Boo doesn't give you any points, but a Boo in your tank will still cause a spill... What a pest!"
- Classic Mario's Cement Factory: "Watch the number of elevators that appear. If you need to get across, and none are coming, you may have to hang out in the safe spot below for a little while."
- Donkey Kong Jr. Rules: "Help rescue Donkey Kong from Mario! Just avoid the enemies and get the key!"
- Modern Donkey Kong Jr.: "If you don't grab the key, the walkway to Kong won't appear. Enemies move in many different ways, so pay attention!"
- Classic Donkey Kong Jr.: "The faster you grab the key and open the cage, the more points you get. If you use trees well, you can hit enemies with falling fruit."
- Donkey Kong 3 Rules: "Match bubbles against Donkey Kong to keep the Boo and fireball at bay. If you don't refill your bubble solution, you won't be able to shoot anymore!"
- Modern Donkey Kong 3: "Enclose the fireball and Boo in bubbles to push them toward your opponent. The fireball won't move on its own, but the Boo sneaks closer when you turn your back on it."
- Linked Modern Donkey Kong 3: "Use your Game Boy Advance Game Link cable to challenge a friend. You only need one Game Pak! Earn one star for each match!"
- Classic Donkey Kong 3: "Take out as many bees as you can, but don't run out of spray! Refill your spray bottle and keep spraying with precision timing!"
- Linked Classic Donkey Kong 3: "Set handicaps by adjusting the speed that Player One's drops drip. If your score reaches zero, you will miss even if you don't get stung. Earn one star for each match!"
- Chef Rules: "Catch the flying food in your frying pan without fail. Never a dull moment in the life of a short-order cook!"
- Modern Chef: "Catch the food in your frying pan or let Yoshi eat it! Just remember that Yoshi likes cooked food the best!"
- Classic Chef: "Food can fly both high and low, so watch carefully."
- Mario Bros. Rules: "Try to move the boxes on the conveyor belt from the lower belts to the higher ones."
- Modern Mario Bros.: "Don't miss a box! Fill that truck! For every truck you fill, you'll earn a truck icon! If you miss a box, the conveyor belts will be emptied. Be careful!"
- Classic Mario Bros.: "The ones coming out of the machine are the easiest to miss! After that, as long as the brothers cooperate, everything will be all right..."
- Donkey Kong Rules: "Avoid the rolling barrels as you make your way to the top. Once you get there, remember to flip the switch before you move on!"
- Modern Donkey Kong: "If you run into or land on a barrel, you will lose a life, so jump carefully! The platform that appears once you've flipped the switch won't last long, so cross over quickly."
- Classic Donkey Kong: "You can only jump at certain points, so memorize them. Watch out: Missing the hook causes the barrels to speed up."
- Octopus Rules: "Dive to the bottom of the ocean to gather treasure! Avoid the octopus's tentacles as you dive for sunken treasure."
- Modern Octopus: "If the octopus is about to nab you, throw the treasure quickly with the B Button! The treasure will hit its tentacle and it will stop attacking briefly. Drop treasure with the B Button to speed up!"
- Classic Octopus: "Watch to see which tentacle will attack next. Also, there is also one place where you will be safe, even when all the tentacles are extended."
- Fire Attack Rules: "Enemies come from all four sides to burn down your fort! Get there first and knock 'em down!"
- Modern Fire Attack: "Don't worry about the food and chickens that approach on occasion. Just go for the Bullet Bills and Bob-ombs!"
- Classic Fire Attack: "Try to tell whether an enemy or a torch will reach the fort first, and then go get 'em!"
- Manhole Rules: "React quickly to the movement of the people in upper and lower levels. Moving diagonally is sometimes your best bet!"
- Tropical Fish Rules: "On Easy, fish will only come from the right, but on Hard, they come from both sides, so be careful!"
- Mario's Bombs Away Rules: "When there is fire above and fire below, don't forget that you can raise and lower your arms and move around to avoid fire. Also, your friend who takes the bombs is unpredictable, so don't depend on him!"
- Parachute Rules: "On Hard, parachutes might get stuck on the tree, and all parachutists fall at different speeds."
- Bomb Sweeper Rules: "There may be several bombs in the labyrinth, but you only have to stop one. It's simple when you know the directions in which you can push walls."
- Climber Rules: "When there are no footholds, wait for an enemy that you can stand on. Footholds that blink when you step on them are actually elevators! They are hard to find, but they can be very handy!"
- Safe Buster Rules: "Get rid of bombs by tossing them to the left or right, but watch what happens when you dump all of them to the left!"
- Life Boat Rules: "You can catch up to four people in one lifeboat. If you try to take another, the fifth one will fall into the ocean! Get them to shore quickly!"
- Zelda Rules: "When you have the Water of Life, press DOWN on the +Control Pad to use it at any time. Once you have a map, use it to check your location. The Tomahawk will come in handy when you're fighting the dragon."
Game & Watch Gallery 2
Toad (from messages)
Game & Watch Gallery 3
Game & Watch Gallery 4
Toads (from Hints and Techniques)
|Game & Watch Gallery series|
|Games||Game & Watch Gallery (1997, GB) • Game & Watch Gallery 2 (1997, GB) • Game & Watch Gallery 3 (1999, GBC) • Game & Watch Gallery 4 (2002, GBA)|
|Super Mario minigames||Donkey Kong2,4 • Donkey Kong Jr.3,4 • Donkey Kong II3 • Donkey Kong 34 • Mario Bros.3,4 • Mario's Bombs Away4 • Mario's Cement Factory4|
|Minigames remade with
Super Mario content
|Ball2 • Boxing4 • Chef2,4 • Egg3 • Fire1,4 • Fire Attack4 • Greenhouse3 • Helmet2 • Manhole1 • Octopus1,4 • Oil Panic1 • Parachute2 • Rain Shower4 • Turtle Bridge3 • Vermin2|
|Gallery Corner||Message Board • Museum • Music Room|
|Further info||Gallery (2 • 4) • Pre-release and unused content (4) • Staff (2 • 3 • 4)|
|Related game||Game & Watch Collection|
|1Game & Watch Gallery 2Game & Watch Gallery 2 3Game & Watch Gallery 3 4Game & Watch Gallery 4|