It has been suggested that this page be moved to Smash Taunt characters. (Discuss)
It has been requested that additional images should be uploaded for this article. Remove this only when the image(s) have been uploaded for this article or section.
Peppy Hare talking during a radio conversation in Lylat Cruise
The Radio conversation characters are a group of characters that, as the name implies, appear in various radio conversations in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. These conversations can only be activated in certain stages and by certain characters, which include Fox McCloud and Falco Lombardi in the Corneria and Venom stages, Fox, Falco, and Wolf O'Donnell in the Lylat Cruise stage, and Solid Snake for the Shadow Moses Island stage.
Star Fox series
The following characters originally appeared in the Star Fox series. Fox, Falco, Peppy Hare, Slippy Toad, and Krystal are members of the Star Fox team, while Wolf, Panther Caroso, and Leon Powalski are members of the Star Wolf team.
- Main article: Fox McCloud
- Main article: Falco Lombardi
- Main article: Wolf O'Donnell
Peppy Hare is a former member of the Star Fox team. He is voiced by Dex Manley, who also voiced Falco and Panther. He appears in Super Smash Bros. Melee in the Corneria and Venom stages. He (along with Slippy, Falco, and Fox) will occasionally shoot energy bursts with his Arwing at the players on the stage. He also has a trophy in the game.
Peppy also appears in Super Smash Bros. Brawl as part of the radio conversations that can be activated through Fox, Falco, or Wolf on the Lylat Cruise stage.
He made another appearance in the Club Nintendo comic "Super Mario: Verloren in der Zeit", where he is shown watching the Olympics with Fox and Falco.
“Wait right there, Andross! All ships report!”
—Slippy Toad, Super Smash Bros. Melee
Slippy Toad is a member of the Star Fox team. He is voiced by Mike McAuliffe. He is the mechanic of the team, though he is able to pilot an Arwing. He is first seen in the Mario series in Super Smash Bros. Melee in the Corneria and the Venom stages. Slippy and his team will occasionally shoot energy bursts at the players on the arena. He also plays a role in the event match, Slippy's Invention. In this event match, Slippy has "invented" a Cloaking Device which makes Fox and Falco invisible. He later appears in How to Draw Nintendo's Greatest Heroes and Villains.
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, he returns as a guest character in not only Corneria but in Lylat Cruise, where he can be talked to through Fox's, Falco's, or Wolf's Smash Taunt. He also appears in the Nintendo Monopoly. In Shadow Moses Island, if he does a Codec Conversation on Falco, instead of one of Snake's team members giving a call, Slippy will come in by hacking the system.
“What are you two thinking? I'm the only one who can come through in a fight like this!”
—Krystal, Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Krystal is a main member of the Star Fox team and is in a relationship with Fox. She is voiced by Alésia Glidewell. She only appears in Super Smash Bros. Brawl in the Lylat Cruise stage. She, along with Fox, Slippy, Falco, Peppy, Wolf, Panther, and Leon, will occasionally shoot energy bursts from her Arwing on the stage and potentially hit one of the players. On Lylat Cruise only, it is possible to start a radio conversation with her while using either Fox, Falco, or Wolf. She also has a trophy in the game.
“Heh, I'll make sure to work you over real good before I turn you into scrap metal.”
—Leon Powalski, Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Leon Powalski is a main member of the Star Wolf team and has a rivalry with Falco. He is voiced by Jim Walker, who also voiced Fox. He appears in Super Smash Bros. Brawl in the Lylat Cruise stage. He, along with the other Star Fox characters, will occasionally fire from his Arwing at the stage and possibly damage one of the fighers. On Lylat Cruise only, it is possible to start a radio conversation with him while using either Fox, Falco, or Wolf. He also has a trophy in the game.
“Do you see my red rose? It marks your imminent death!”
—Panther Caroso, Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Panther Caroso is a main member of the Star Wolf team and is attracted to Krystal. He is voiced by Dex Manley, who also voiced Falco and Peppy. He only appears in Super Smash Bros. Brawl in the Lylat Cruise stage. He, along with the other Star Fox characters, will occasionally fire at Pleiades and potentially hit one of the fighters. On Lylat Cruise only, it is possible to start a radio conversation with him while using either Fox, Falco, or Wolf. He also has a trophy in the game.
Metal Gear Solid series
The following characters originally appeared in the Metal Gear Solid series. Colonel Roy Campbell, Mei Ling, and Otacon communicated with Solid Snake and gave him advice during his missions.
- Main article: Solid Snake
Colonel Roy Campbell
after Solid Snake is defeated in Super Smash Bros. Brawl
“Snake, what's going on out there?! Could it be...? Has the "Les Enfants Terribles" project really come this far?!”
—Colonel Roy Campbell, on Solid Snake, Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Colonel Roy Campbell is a former member of FOXHOUND, and is also Solid Snake's commanding officer and close friend. He was introduced in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. He is voiced by Paul Eiding.
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, he informs Snake of his invitation to the Super Smash Bros. tournaments, and he analyzes some characters in the game, like Wario or Mario, giving tips to Snake about them.
“Look, just start fighting him, and I'm sure everything will make sense.”
—Otacon, speaking about Mr. Game & Watch, Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Otacon (real name: Dr. Hal Emmerich) is a recurring character from the Metal Gear Solid series. He is voiced by Christopher Randolph. He is an American weapons designer and computer hacker, as well as an ally of Solid Snake. Otacon usually provides support by giving Snake advice via codec. He is also an otaku, which is why his nickname is "Otacon," named after the "Otaku Convention."
In the game Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Otacon analyzes several fighters in the game, giving tips to Snake so he can battle them more effectively. This occurs in the stage Shadow Moses Island from the original Metal Gear Solid game. Like in the Metal Gear series, the Codec frequency to talk with Otacon in Super Smash Bros. Brawl is 141.12.
“Ooh, how cuute!”
—Mei Ling (commenting on Pikachu), Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Mei Ling is a character from the Metal Gear Solid series. She is voiced by Kim Mai Guest. She is the one who invented Snake's wireless communication equipment, the Codec. After the player saves the game in Metal Gear Solid, she gives Snake advice by telling him Chinese proverbs and quotations by Western authors.
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mei-Ling can analyze some characters in the game, like Zero Suit Samus and Pikachu, giving tips to Snake about them. This occurs only when playing as Snake in the stage Shadow Moses Island. Like in the Metal Gear series, the Codec frequency to talk with Mei Ling in Super Smash Bros. Brawl is 140.96
Metal Gear Solid Conversations
- Main article: List of Snake's Codec Conversations
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, radio conversations between the Metal Gear Solid characters can only be activated by Solid Snake in the Shadow Moses Island stage. Otacon, Roy Campbell, and Mei Ling will communicate with Snake and give him background information and fighting skills on one of his opponents.
Star Fox Conversations
In Super Smash Bros. Melee, radio conversations can only be done on Corneria and Venom and started by Fox and Falco. There are four different possible conversations for both characters. The conversation will include Slippy, Peppy, and either Falco or Fox, depending on who activated the conversation.
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the conversations can only be done in Lylat Cruise. There are five different sections of Lylat Cruise: Corneria, asteroid field, skirmish, dogfight, and starry space. The taunt will change depending on which of these sections it is activated in, along with which character activates it (either Fox, Falco, or Wolf). The conversation can include Slippy, Peppy, Krystal, Panther, Leon, and either Fox, Falco, or Wolf, depending on who activated the conversation. All of the conversations from Super Smash Bros. Melee can be triggered on the Corneria stage, and will even keep the same voices and sprites.
- Slippy: Use the B button and the Control Stick combos for special moves!
- Peppy: Press Up, X, or Y to jump!
- Falco: What? You're just now explaining the controls?!
- Slippy: Wow! I almost feel like going for a swim!
- Falco: You swim in the ocean too?
- Slippy: Don't make fun of me, birdbrain!
- Peppy: Ahh, to be young again...
- Peppy: Fox! Be careful! I have a bad feeling about this.
- Slippy: What? Everything's fine - I'm here!
- Falco: That's what worries me the most...
- Falco: Behind you, Fox! Stay alert!
- Peppy: Just don't give up! Trust your senses.
- Slippy: Come on, Fox!
- Peppy: Look, we're passing Corneria. Protecting this planet sure has been a lot of work.
- Falco: Yeah, it's kept things from getting too boring around here.
- Wolf: Don't think you can take a breather just yet, Team Star Fox!
- Peppy: Ahhh! Star Wolf!
- Wolf: You know you are all like us. Our fates are intertwined. We are destined to meet in battle. After all, what fun is there to be had in peace and quiet? A true warrior can only live in the battlefield!
- Falco: Then why don't you show me what a real warrior's like, fuzzball! I'm ready if you are!
- Slippy: Boy those guys are always itching to fight, huh?
- Asteroid Field
- Peppy: We've hit an asteroid field! Protect the main ship at all costs!
- Falco: Take it easy, Peppy. We just need to blow up some of these asteroids, right?
- Slippy: Don't worry about us, Fox! We've got things covered here. You just focus on the battle!
- Krystal: Don't let us down, Fox!
- Slippy: Blast 'em once for me, buddy!
- Peppy: We're in the middle of an interplanetary skirmish. Stay sharp and keep an eye on your six!
- Slippy: Eeep! This place is a war zone!
- Falco: Heh, what are you worried about? These guys are weaker than overcooked noodles!
- Peppy: Mmm? Overcooked noodles? What's that supposed to mean?
- Krystal: That's not a terribly good comparison, is it?
- Falco: - -
- Falco: Pff! We meet again, Star Wolf!
- Krystal: Uugh! These guys are no joke!
- Leon: Heh, I'll make sure to work you over real good before I turn you into scrap metal.
- Panther: Do you see my red rose? It marks your imminent death!
- Wolf: Listen close: I won't let a single one of you leave here alive! And Fox, remember this! I'm the one who's going to take you down!
- Starry Space
- Falco: Fox looks like he's got his hands full.
- Krystal: Yes, he's putting up quite a fight, though.
- Peppy: You know, he reminds me of his father every day.
- Slippy: Hey, this is no time for chitchat guys! Shouldn't we be worried about Fox? He's out there with no air! How's he supposed to breathe?!
- Peppy: Bah! Way to go, Slippy. No one would've even noticed if you hadn't opened up your big yap!
- Peppy: Look out, Slippy! Enemies behind you!
- Slippy: Fox! I think someone's on my tail!
- Fox: Get out of there, Slippy!
- Slippy: Thanks, Fox! I thought I was done for!
- Peppy: Falco! Don't let them get you!
- Slippy: This has gotten interesting! I'm on the edge of my seat!
- Fox: Calm down! This is where the real battle begins!
- Slippy: Hold the A button to charge up shots!
- Peppy: Cut your way through with a boost!
- Fox: Aren't you guys thinking of something else?
- Fox: All ships report in!
- Slippy: This is Slippy! I'm all right! I'm all right!
- Peppy: Peppy here! I'm a little shaken, but I'm OK. Sorry... I've always wanted to say that.
- Fox: Looks like we made it to Corneria. Falco sure is a sticking it to 'em out there.
- Krystal: Yes, but don't you find it... odd? I've never even seen some of his opponents before.
- Fox: Well it is a brawl, after all. Everyone's in on the fight!
- Peppy: That gives me itching for some action. I want in!
- Slippy: No way! Old-timers like you ride the bench. This fight's mine!
- Krystal: What are you two thinking? I'm the only one who can come through in a fight like this!
- Asteroid Field
- Fox: It's an asteroid belt. We've got to clear a path!
- Slippy: EEEP! OH, THIS IS BAAAD!
- Peppy: Get ahold of yourself, Slippy! Falco's counting on us.
- Krystal: If we let a fragment fly off toward the ship, it could cause serious damage!
- Slippy: I wouldn't worry too much. Falco's a tough old bird. He can take care of himself.
- Peppy: Well... yeah, I guess you've got a point there.
- Slippy: Wow! We're in the middle of a full-scale skirmish!
- Fox: Keep your hat on, Slippy!
- Peppy: Yeah, look at Falco. He's not letting the skirmish slow him up one bit.
- Krystal: Yes, he's the fighter, all right. Who else would have the guts to open a communication channel during a fistfight?
- Peppy: Just the same, watch yourself, Falco. Don't go getting yourself toasted by a stray laser!
- Slippy: Good luck, Falco!
- Wolf: Playtime ends here, Star Fox!
- Fox: Star Wolf!
- Leon: Hey there, boy, how do you like my new ship? Want to see what it can do?
- Panther: I am known as Panther Caroso. I salute you, my enemy.
- Krystal: Hmph, it looks like the gang's all here.
- Peppy: Good enough! Come on, Fox, let's get 'em!
- Slippy: Hey, don't forget about me!
- Starry Space
- Fox: Ah, finally a day free of space combat.
- Krystal: That may be so, but it's looking like a regular war zone on top of the ship.
- Peppy: Falco! If you lose this one, I'm never going to let you live it down! Go, Falco! Never give up! Trust your instincts!
- Slippy: Ha! I think I've heard that line before!
- Peppy: Erm, sorry, Fox. I kind of channeled your dad there.
- Fox: Yeah, I noticed, Peppy.
- Leon: A blue planet... It's actually quite breathtaking, isn't it?
- Slippy: Boy, I'll say! Look at all that water! It's a paradise for guys like you and me, huh? Without a quick dip in the water now and then, we get all dried out!
- Leon: Listen, I'm no frog. Don't try to stick us in the same group!
- Slippy: But, you've got a long stretchy tongue just like me, right?
- Leon: Didn't I just tell you to drop the subject?
- Asteroid Field
- Leon: Star Wolf is here in the asteroid field.
- Krystal: Oh my. This looks like it's going to be rather nasty.
- Panther: Worry not, my dear. Should you find yourself in harm's way, I would use the very ship I pilot to protect you.
- Krystal: Oh, I feel so much better hearing that. You're such a gentleman, Panther.
- Falco: Do me a favor and get creamed by an asteroid while you're at it! I'll sleep better at night once you do.
- Panther: Cease your jabbering, parrot!
- Falco: What did you just say?!
- Panther: A skirmish... Just the place for a bunch of space drifters like ourselves.
- Leon: Star Wolf is really giving it his all out there. I'm more than a bit envious of him. Those razor-sharp claws. Those keen fangs. He moves wildly and fights with the spirit of a warrior possessed. Any prey he sets his eye on is doomed to be shredded to pieces.
- Panther: Umm... Leon? Are you feeling all right?
- Leon: Yes, of course! Fine! Just fine. Haa ha haaaaa ha haaahaaa...
- Panther: Set me straight here Leon. Are you envious of the shred-DER or the shred-DEE?
- Panther: You're foolish to anger me, bird. You must have a death wish!
- Falco: Feh! You guys just won't learn your lesson, will you?
- Leon: Impudent fowl! You will kneel before me!
- Slippy: Ahhh! Guys, Falco's in trouble!
- Falco: Can it, Slippy! The tougher the scrape, the brighter I shine! Keep back! I'll be the one to bag this cat!
- Starry Space
- Krystal: My, the stars out here are so beautiful.
- Panther: Oh, but not as beautiful as your radiant self, my dear Krystal.
- Krystal: Oh Panther, you always were quite the flatterer.
- Panther: Amazing, isn't it? To think that the two of us were fated to cross paths in such a sparkling, endless galaxy. Even if we were on opposite sides of space, I would speed to your side, faster than a shooting star. Krystal, know that my beating heart burns red hot for you, as red as the rose I hold.
- Falco: Good grief! Where do you come up with this stuff?! Enough already!
| Peppy Hare
|| SNES Star Fox
|| A member of the original Star Fox team. Peppy Hare was an esteemed pilot, now retired and currently commanding the Star Fox team from the mother ship, the Great Fox. Although he's known for a propensity for nagging, the praise and trust his team gives him hasn't changed throughout the years.
| N64 Star Fox 64
| Slippy Toad
|| SNES Star Fox
|| A top-notch mechanic with less-than-stellar battle skills. Respected for his talent, he joins the Star Fox team and shows his mechanical genius in everything from vehicle maintenance to weapons development. Slippy often holds the team back with his clumsiness but makes up for it with his likeable personality and morale-boosting presence.
| GCN Star Fox Assault
|| GCN Star Fox Adventures
|| A member of the Star Fox team welcomed in Star Fox Adventures after the team met her on planet Sauria when responding to a distress signal. Krystal is capable of telepathy and is a valuable member in combat. After becoming romantically involved with Fox, their relationship gets very rocky in Star Fox Command.
| DS Star Fox Command
| Panther Caroso
|| GCN Star Fox Assault
|| The newest member of the Star Wolf team, rivals of Team Star Fox. A show-off who often embarrasses his teammates, he considers himself quite the ladies' cat and can hardly contain himself from making passes at attractive females, including Krystal, who he's clearly smitten with. Panther's trademark is a red rose. All things said, he's still a highly skilled pilot.
| DS Star Fox Command
| Leon Powalski
|| N64 Star Fox 64
|| A member of the Star Wolf team and a cold-blooded assassin. Without an inkling of goodwill or moral standing, Leon carries out duties as required by the job, remaining indifferent and robotic throughout. On top of his lethal skills, he maintains a solid reputation as a skilled pilot. Leon has been a teammate of Wolf's ever since belonging to the Venom army.
| DS Star Fox Command