The 2006 box, showing several of the represented characters.
The two versions of the game's boxes.
Nintendo Monopoly is a board game based on the classic board game Monopoly featuring Nintendo characters such as Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Link, Samus Aran, Kirby, and various others. It was released in July of 2006.
In the game, Nintendo characters are used as properties. Super Mushrooms (referred to as "Power-Ups" in-game) are used in place of houses, whereas Stars ("Invincibilities") take the place of hotels.
In 2010, a revised edition of the game was released. Although the core game is relatively unchanged in this update, several artistic tweaks were made. The artwork was revised, and the board no longer includes a collage of screenshots. Rather, a lineup of characters is displayed across the board instead. Several spaces on the board were also changed; most notably, the light blue Star Fox properties were replaced with characters from the Animal Crossing series.
The 2006 Nintendo Monopoly board
The 2010 Nintendo Monopoly board
The four corner spaces, GO, In Jail/Just Visiting, Free Parking, and Go to Jail, are unchanged from the original Monopoly game.
Clockwise from top left: Samus
' Helmet, a Mushroom
, the S.S. Dolphin, a Gyroid, the Master Sword, and a Star
|Community Chest Card In Original Monopoly
||Coin Block Card (2006)
||Coin Block Card (2010)
|Advance to Go (Collect 200 dollars)
||Use the Warp Whistle - Advance to Go (Collect 200 dollars)
||Use the Pipe - Advance to Go (Collect 200 dollars)
|Bank error in your favor - Collect 200 dollars
|Doctor's fee - Pay 50 dollars
||Purchase a Wing Cap - Pay 50 dollars
|From sale of stock you get 45 dollars/50 dollars
||Player's Choice Award - You get 45 dollars
||Player's Choice Award - Collect 50 dollars
|Get out of Jail free
|Go to Jail – Go directly to Jail, do not pass Go, do not collect 200 dollars
|Grand opera night – Collect 50 dollars from every player for opening night seats/It's your birthday! Collect ten dollars from every player
||Organize a Mario Party - Collect 50 dollars from every player
||Organize a Mario Party - Collect ten dollars from every player
|Holiday fund matures - Collect 100 dollars
||Win tennis tournament - Collect 100 dollars
|Income Tax refund - Collect 20 dollars
||Hit top of flagpole - Collect 20 dollars
|Life insurances matures - Collect 100 dollars
||Win golf tournament - Collect 100 dollars
|Pay hospital fee of 100 dollars
||Buy a new suit - Pay 100 dollars
|Pay school tax of 150 dollars
||Renew kart license - Pay 150 dollars
||Renew kart license - Pay 50 dollars
|Receive for services 25 dollars
||Receive for medical services 25 dollars
||For medical services - Collect 25 dollars
|You are assessed for street repairs – 40 dollars per house, 115 dollars per hotel
||Lose boss battle - Pay 40 dollars per Power-Up/115 dollars per Invincibility
||New downloadable content is available - For each power-up pay 40 dollars, for each invincibility pay 115 dollars
|You have won second prize in a beauty contest - Collect ten dollars
||Voted Most Popular Plumber - Collect ten dollars
|You inherit 100 dollars
||Inherit a castle - Collect 100 dollars
? Block (Chance) Cards
|Chance Card In Original Monopoly
||? Block Card (2006)
||? Block Card (2010)
|Advance to Go (Collect $200)
||Jump into a Warp Pipe (Collect $200)
||Jump into a pipe - Advance to Go (Collect $200)
|Advance to Illinois Ave
||I'm sorry, but your princess is in another castle - Advance to Yoshi
|Advance Token to nearest Utility
||Advance Token to Piranha Plant or Warp Pipe, whichever is nearest
|Advance token to the nearest Railroad and pay owner twice the rental to which they are otherwise entitled
||Advance token to the nearest Vehicle and pay owner twice the Rental to which they are otherwise entitled
||Advance token to the nearest vehicle: Mario Kart, Gunship, Pikmin Onion or Epona
|Advance to St. Charles Place
||Take a trip to Dream Land - Advance to Meta Knight - If you pass Go collect $200
|Bank pays you dividend of $50
||Coin Block pays you bonus of $50
||? Block pays you bonus - Collect $50
|Get out of Jail free
||Find a Dungeon Key
||Find a dungeon key
|Go back 3 spaces
||Turn off your system before saving your game - Go back 3 spaces
||Turned off your system before saving your game - Go back three spaces
|Go to Jail - Go directly to Jail, do not pass Go, do not collect $200
||Caught Selling Counterfeit Software - GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL
||Caught selling counterfeit software - GO TO JAIL
|Make general repairs on all your property – for each house pay $25 – for each hotel $100
||Make progress on each of your games - For each Power-Up pay $25/For each Invincibility $100
||Start your game over - For each power-up, pay $25. for each invincibility pay $100
|Pay poor tax of $15/Speeding fine - Pay $15
||Pay Bowser tax of $15
||Bowser tax - Pay $15
|Take a ride on the Reading – If you pass Go collect $200
||Take a spin in the Kart - Advance to Mario Kart - If you pass Go collect $200
|Take a walk on the Boardwalk – Advance token to Boardwalk
||Save the Mushroom Kingdom - Advance to Mario
|You have been elected chairman of the board – Pay each player $50
||You have been elected Player of the Year - Pay each player $50
||Erase your friends' game saves - Pay each player $50
|Your building and loan matures – Collect $150
||You saved the princess - Collect $150
||Save the princess - Collect $150
- NOTE: There are two of the "Advance Token to the nearest Railroad/Vehicle..." cards.
The background in the middle of the 2006 board shows screenshots from several Nintendo games. The games are, from top to bottom, left to right:
Changes to the 2008 version
- The purple property group (Waluigi and Wario) was changed to brown.
- The 1-Up Mushroom space no longer gives players the option to pay 10%.
- The Treasure Chest Deposit space now costs $100. The artwork was also changed from Wario's Treasures to a coin.
- The dollar value of the Coin Block cards Player's Choice Award, Organize a Mario Party and Renew Kart License were decreased.
- The game's box incorrectly inplies that the master sword from The Legend of Zelda is "Zelda's sword". In fact, Zelda never wields the sword. The box was later changed to say "Link's sword" because Link is actually the one who uses the master sword.
- Bowser is shown on the box, and he is mentioned on a ? Block card, but he does not make an appearance in the game itself.
- The game photo montage in the center of the 2006 board includes a picture from Super Mario 64; this shot is from a prototype, as evidenced in the colored number displays.
- Kirby and King Dedede are shown on the gameboard. However, their designs are taken from the anime "Kirby: Right Back at Ya!". Meta Knight also appears as he did in "Kirby: Right Back At Ya!", but his appearance is from an episode (without a background), not his official artwork.
- There is an error on the 2010 "Advance token to the nearest vehicle" cards, as Epona is listed as one of the four possible destinations. However, it is impossible for this card ever to send a player to Epona, due to the fact that there are no ? Block Spaces between Pikmin Onion and Epona.