The 'Shroom:Issue 132/Fun Stuff
Hello, 'Shroom readers! I bet you weren't expecting to see me here, were you? That's okay, because I wasn't expecting to see me! Lord Bowser (talk) had some last-minute complications come up, so in the grand tradition of the other staff members who've needed it, he handed the keys to me for this month! And just this month, I'll be gone next month. I'm gonna miss the chair, they kept it just like I used to have it back in 2013. I hope you have fun reading Fun Stuff!
Section of the Month
Congratulations to all of our writers for their works!
|FUN STUFF SECTION OF THE MONTH|
|1st||Where in the Marioverse is Carmen Sandiego?||16||34.04%||FunkyK38|
|3rd||Trivia||5||10.64%||Chester Alan Arthur|
Shoey reads off some neat facts for the month.
Dive underwater for some aquatic anagrams!
Spring into spring with these picross puzzles!
A berry nice maze this month.
Where's Waluigi's tennis gear? That's up to you to find, gumshoe!
It might not be Wario Time, but enjoy a WarioWare quiz anyway.
Written by: Chester Alan Arthur (talk)
French translated by: Stargazing (talk)
Le mois passe était terrible pour la cause du séparatisme du Québec. Notre grand et vertueux parti Bloc Québécois a perdu sept sur dix des chaises et notre parti québécois descendait dans les sondages chaque jour. Mais, n'ai pas peur! Le feu de notre cause n'est pas éteint et un jour à l'avenir, le jour que nous voulons, notre beau Québec va séparer du lâche Canada anglais! Nous restons forts.
- That Blue Pikmin have a slightly larger chance of getting eaten than to other Pikmin?
- That Wii Sports was originally going to have Mario characters in it?
- That at one point Retro Studios was going to make a Mario volleyball game?
- That in the first Wario Land Captain Syrup wasn’t revealed to be a woman till the end of the game?
- That Mario and Rabbids game was originally proposed in 2010?
- That the Robot Wars competitor Wild Thing was basically indestructible?
- That in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island there is a code you can enter that will make some of the mini battles 2-player?
- That Henk Rodgers of the Tetris Company has stated he regrets giving Nintendo the rights to use the name Tetris for Tetris Attack?
- That UMBC (University of Maryland, Baltimore County) became the first 16 seed to ever beat a number 1 seed (the Virginia Cavilers) last night. For context before their win 16 seeds were 0-135 against number 1 seeds.
Written by: BBQ Turtle (talk)
Hello everyone, and welcome to this month's edition of anagrams! This month I've created a set of anagrams for you with a water theme- so, as a hint, places in or around water and water-based characters. I'm fairly sure we're theme-free next month, so if you have any suggestions for a theme, or have found any funny anagrams, feel free to send me them via my talk page or PM me on the forums. But I'll just let you enjoy the anagrams now- I'm sure you'll have a whale of a time!
How it works...
Basically, this puzzle consists of solving the anagrams. Each month has a specific theme, which will give you a clue about what sort of words or phrases the anagrams will be. I've also included the boxes that the anagrams will fit into, so you'll be able to tell how many words it will solve to be and how many letters will be in each word, which should give you a hand too. You'll also notice that within each set of boxes, one of the squares are yellow. As you solve each anagram, note down the letter which appears in the yellow squares, and if you can solve all of the anagrams, you'll also get a bonus anagram to solve from completing all of the others. I've included the letter configuration for this one at the bottom too, just to give you an extra helping hand. Best of luck!
1. HARM REMADE
2. LOB ROPE
3. CRAZE BEE SO EVE
4. GRASP AT WRINKLES
5. KOALA LED ME
6. JEER CLOT
7. MARAUDERS NEED
8. I HOLD NO SPLASH
9. SCARY IRIS DUE
10. HOB FINES
11. CHOIR OR CRAB
12. ODD TREETOP
13. AXLES BUY BAY AGO
|Bonus Anagram: Dire, Dire Docks|
Written by: Camwood777 (talk)
Oh, hey, Picross is happening! Or rather, it's springing into action! Yes, 5 days after publication, it'll be Spring in the Northern Hemisphere. Or, if you're on the Southern Hemisphere, I guess this is when I Fall short on being accurate--then it'll be your Autumn, or Fall. Also related to time, I had a great time reading the 'Shroom KG! I did participate, but, uh, spoilers if you didn't follow along and/or read the thread--I didn't exactly do good. It sure was fun, though!
But that's time itself! We need Picross time, which according to my metaphorical clock, it's currently RIGHT:NOW in the SPST ('Shroom Picross Standard Time).
Since Spring is just right around the corner (literally! look around the corner of your nearest hardware store! there's likely a spring there!), I wanted to theme this off of two things we associate with Spring, or at least March. I wanted an obvious puzzle, and a St. Patrick's Day puzzle... except there's nothing related to St. Patty's Day in the main series! Seriously, the closest thing was a place in the Super Show. So, I kinda had to go indirect and go with the next best thing: the pots of gold, or more specifically, cash hecking money. But I won't say what type of money. That kinda ruins the surprise!
Rules? On the house! If you want to know how to play, simply take any program you can edit images with (MS paint is... more than an option), or even print it out if you're so inclined, and you can shade in the symbols. As for the rules...
- Each number on a given row or column (which are referred to as "hints" in Picross) Represents a line of filled-in squares (or tiles/cells, as I prefer calling them) on that particular row or column; for instance, a row starting with "3" would have a row of three filled-in squares with no white/blank squares inbetween them.
- There can be multiple lines in a single column, however. (For example, a row of 7, then a row of 4. In this case, there'd be 7 in a row, then a gap, then a row of 4.)
- A gap between two "rows" is defined as one white/blank square between two rows.
- Each square is filled with either black or white. You can fill the white squares you know of with a different color, such as gray, to keep track easier.
- It's way, was easier to start off with rows that have few gaps, and ESPECIALLY easier to start with rows with large numbers.
- I recommend playing Pokemon Picross on the 3DS (it's free, yo!); the tutorial will explain things a lot better than I ever could.
Here come this month's puzzles! Happy Spring, St. Patty's Day, and... Wait, no, I'll wait on that one. I have something quite good in store there. Oh well. Anyhow, puzzles, see you guys next month, same Picross time, same Picross place!
|Fire Flower||Blue Coin|
Written by: Lakituthequick (talk)
Hello ladies and gentletoads, welcome back to this month's It's aMAZEing!
Today's maze features a Berry, Yoshi's favourite food, featured in several games after its debut in Super Mario World.
Do you have an idea for a maze you'd like to see? Leave a message on my talkpage or find me on the forums and send me a personal message, and your idea and name may be featured in a future episode!
How to play:
- Copy the image into your favourite art program (like Paint, Photoshop, GIMP, etc.)
- Click the line, pencil or brush tool and adjust the size as needed
- Draw your line though the maze from start to finish
- Zoom in and out as needed
Alternatively, print it out and use a pencil!
To view the answer, click here!
Where in the Marioverse is Carmen Sandiego?
Each issue, you will be given a case to solve and clues to use to help you find the solution! Use your Mario knowledge to crack the case!
You will begin each case at the scene of the crime, and you will be given three clues from passerby as to where the next hot spot is and what game it’s from. Using your knowledge of Mario games and the Super Mario Wiki, figure out where the crook is and go track them down! There are four locations each round: the crime scene (1) at the start, two locations (2 and 3) with clues, and the hideout for the crook of the month (4). Answers for locations will be given with the corresponding round, for example, the clues from the crime scene will lead you to location 2, and once you open the spoiler bubbles for location 2, you will be given the correct answer. You can open the clues for each location in any order you’d like, but be careful! You may encounter an incorrect clue that could throw you off the case!
Clues offered will give you a hint either about the next location or the game it’s in. Unlike a regular Carmen Sandiego game, you do not have to collect information about the crook you are tracking down.
Challenge round (optional):
-Find all locations and games correctly in two minutes or less
-Find all locations and games correctly without using the rest of the Wiki for help
"There's a new case for you to crack, gumshoe. Last night, someone wa-wa-walked away with Waluigi's tennis equipment! All his rackets, his tennis balls, even his visor! Without his lucky gear, Waluigi can't be an ace at tennis, his best sport! And he certainly can't participate in Mario Tennis Aces! We have our eye on Carmen's strongman, Yoshi Yikes! Track that devilish dino down and reclaim that racket!"
Howdy 'Shroom readers, welcome to the Quiz!. As you may have figured out from the name, this is a section where I quiz your Mario knowledge.
I have played and owned a variety of games from the Mario series, but for whatever reason I never seem to actually get the Party games, and I don't just mean the Mario Party series, but I also mean the WarioWare series. My full experience of the series is about two hours that I once spent at a friend's place. But, a new WarioWare game was announced in the last Nintendo Direct, so now seems a reasonably good time to do a quiz on it.
- In the WarioWare series, you don't play minigames, but what do you play?
- What is the name of the WarioWare stage in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U?
- Before WarioWare Gold was announced, what was the most recent game in the series?
- Not including WarioWare Gold, how many games are there in the series?
- What is the name of this game?
- Where do most of the characters reside?
- What creatures serve as a life counter for Orbulon's games in WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames$!?
- What does the T in Jimmy T's name stand for?
- What is the name of 9-Volt's pet Fronk?
|The 'Shroom: Issue 132|
|Staff sections||Staff Notes • The 'Shroom Spotlight|
|Features||Fake News • Fun Stuff • Palette Swap • Pipe Plaza • Critic Corner • Strategy Wing|
|Specials||Super Mario Odyssey Photo Contest|