The 'Shroom:Issue 123/Fun Stuff
The first issue of the summer is dedicated to all things Wario! Enjoy this issue, surrounding the big man and his love for garlic. Fun Stuff indeed!
I have many announcements this month. Firstly, Mr Squid (talk) will no longer be writing Guess That Game!, one of our most popular sections. We wish him the best of luck! Fortunately, FunkyK38 (talk) has joined the team with a novel new idea for a section. Check out her new article based on the popular television series, Where in the Marioverse is Carmen Sandiego.
Additionally, I am sad to announce that next month will be my last issue directing Fun Stuff. The short explanation is that school will become incredibly busy for me next year, and I would like to prioritize my time to study. As such, I will no longer have time to work efficiently on projects such as the 'Shroom. While this decision was hard to make, I am confident it was the correct choice. My successor has yet to be decided, but I am sure he or she will continue to lead this team as one of the 'Shroom's strongest sections.
Thanks for reading. Time pertaining, you might see something special next issue :)
Section of the Month
Mr Squid (talk) has won SOTM again with a fantastic finale to Guess That Game! Congratulations also to Yoshi876 and Lord Bowser, whose strong sections were very popular last month. Keep up the great work.
|FUN STUFF SECTION OF THE MONTH
|Guess That Game!
|Find the Differences
Welcome to Word Search. This month, for the Wario Special Issue, the Word Search is Wario–related! Have fun!
Hey, you readers, what’s the hot new game that all the kids are talking about? That’s right – NES Soccer –and it just so happens yours truly has written a review on it. So y’all should hop on over to Critic Corner and read that review after you’re done reading this. But I suppose we gotta get this out of they way first, so… did you know?
- That according to advertising material for Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins, Wario is an accomplished hypnotist?
- That Wario most likely recruited Tatanga to invade Sarasaland in Super Mario Land?
- That the only thing Wario loves more than money is his pet chicken Hen?
- That initially Wario sought not money but a castle to rival Mario’s?
- That Wario was originally supposed to appear in Super Smash Bros. Melee?
- That Wario got into Mario Kart 64 by stealing Koopa Troopa’s car?
- That in Mario Kart: Double Dash!! Wario had to tune down his hot rod the Wario Car because it was too powerful?
- That the only reason Wario showed up at Peach's Castle in Super Mario 64 DS was to steal her treasure?
Hello everyone, and welcome to this month's maze! This month is celebrating everything Wario, and what better way to do that than to have something Wario-related. This month the maze is Wario's glove. Have a maze you'd like me to do? Send me a message on my talk page or message me on the forums and you could be mentioned in next month's edition!
How to play:
- Copy the image into an art program (such as Paint, Photoshop, paint.net, etc.)
- Click the line tool and adjust the size as needed
- Use the line tool to get from arrow to arrow
- Zoom in and out as needed
It's Wario time! This special issue is dedicated to the big man himself, and picross is no exception. I've got a heap of puzzles (specifically two) all about him and his games. Enjoy.
How to play:
- Any program with a fill tool works for this (even Paint); just copy and paste the pictures onto the program and follow these steps.
- Each number on a row or column (called hints) represents a line of filled in squares on that row or column; for example, a row starting with "6" would have a row of six black squares with no white between them.
- There must be at least one blank square between each line of filled in squares.
- Each square is filled with either black or white; you can fill confirmed white squares with gray to help you keep track.
- It's easier to start with the larger numbers.
- Every now and then, I might throw in a revealing hint to assist your progress, like the Pokémon in Pokémon Picross. These hints are shapes or lines that fill in squares on the grid. This time, I used a Square Reveal on the Hard Picross. Good luck!
Find the Differences
Greetings, 'Shroom readers. This is Lord Bowser here with a new edition of Find the Differences for you all!
In the spirit of the Wario theme this month, I'll be using artwork from Wario Land: Shake It! this time around. Here is the original picture...
...and here is the edited version.
There are 9 differences total, and answers are located below. Good luck finding them all, but no cheating! Be sure to come back next time for more!
Hi, readers! Welcome to Mystery Images. As always, the goal is to identify a character, place, and game by using the following images. Have fun!
Round 1 - The character
Round 2 - The location
Round 3 - The game
|Round 1: Ashley! Wario Stadium (DS)! Wario Land: Shake It!!
Thanks for playing! Come again next month for more puzzles.
Where in the Marioverse is Carmen Sandiego?
Each issue, you will be given a case to solve and clues to use to help you find the solution! Use your Mario knowledge to crack the case!
You will begin each case at the scene of the crime, and you will be given three clues from passerby as to where the next hot spot is and what game it’s from. Using your knowledge of Mario games and the Super Mario Wiki, figure out where the crook is and go track them down! There are four locations each round: the crime scene (1) at the start, two locations (2 and 3) with clues, and the hideout for the crook of the month (4). Answers for locations will be given with the corresponding round, for example, the clues from the crime scene will lead you to location 2, and once you open the spoiler bubbles for location 2, you will be given the correct answer. You can open the clues for each location in any order you’d like, but be careful! You may encounter an incorrect clue that could throw you off the case!
Clues offered will give you a hint either about the next location or the game it’s in. Unlike a regular Carmen Sandiego game, you do not have to collect information about the crook you are tracking down.
Challenge round (optional):
-Find all locations and games correctly in two minutes or less
-Find all locations and games correctly without using the rest of the Wiki for help
"Ah, here's our new cadet. Gumshoe, welcome to the Acme Detective Agency! We're glad to have you on board. Recently, we've received word that the infamous femme fatale flicher Carmen Sandiego has had her eye on the treasures of the Marioverse, and we've assigned you to track her down and keep those precious gaming icons safe. It's a tough job, but I know you're up for it! Don't let ACME down!"
"Cadet, we have a big problem! One of Carmen Sandiego's horrible henchmen, Koopa Kon, has made off with a big prize: Wario's secret stash of garlic! The microgame maker is furious about the theft, and he wants us to track down the thief and get back his gigantic garlic haul. You'll find all the information we have about the case in your first clue below. Get to work, gumshoe!"
"Congratulations for solving the case, gumshoe! ACME agents headed to the mine, and found the stolen stash of smelly eats. We've returned it all to Wario, who sends his thanks as well as a coupon for a discounted microgame to you! Good work on your first case! Now I know who to call if Carmen or her cronies ever strike again here. Take a coffee break, cadet, you earned it!"
Wario…? But I’ve had a summer idea planned for months! Time to go against the grain again. Don’t worry; to make sure I don’t anger too many Wario fans, I’ve included a themed bonus question at the end.
Because summer is here, I would like to have a theme that celebrates the occasion. You’re probably heading to the beach or the swimming pool. As such, today’s article will deal with aquatic characters, something the Mario series surely does not lack.
This article will be the second to last Guess Who. I’ve been writing this section since 2014, and I cannot believe this era is coming to an end. Look forward to the last issue, which will be very special!
Theme: Aquatic Acquaintances!
Level 1: Easy
- This enemy was the first aquatic Mario enemy. You cannot get more classic.
- It has a Mohawk! Perhaps it makes them swim faster?
- When in water, they mind their own business, simply swimming back and forth. Think of that next time you roast one with a fireball, will you?
Level 2: Medium
- This creature calls a sunken ship his home.
- You can find a decent reward on his tail! He’s a bit scary to approach, though…
- A mega version of this enemy appears in Mario Kart 8. His body is a good place for tricks.
Level 3: Hard
- This creature most recently appeared in Mario Kart 8 – they have a whole track dedicated in their name!
- In the Japan version of this character’s debut game, Yoshi can eat these harmless creatures.
- These characters wear goggles, even though they live in the water. The mystery, of course, is why.
BONUS QUESTION: Obligatory Wario Question
- This character wears green elf shoes!
- He doesn’t like it when your television is on widescreen display.
- He owns a lot of ships – but only sunken ones. Disappointing.
BONUS QUESTION: Wario himself!
How did you do? Regardless, thanks for playing this month's Guess Who. Please join me again in July, where Guess Who will reach its finale!
Howdy 'Shroom readers, and welcome to the Quiz! As you may have figured out from the name, this is a section where I quiz your Mario knowledge. As you may be aware, this issue is themed around the Wario series, and as such, I have devised a Wario series quiz for you to try your hand at.
- Which heavy bike from Mario Kart Wii comes from the Wario series?
- What is the minigame series that the Wario series is most well-known for?
- What is the name of the witch and her little red demon?
- What was the name of the non-WarioWare Wario game released on the GameCube?
- How many single-player minigames are playable in Game & Wario?
- Who is the final boss of Wario Land 3?
- What is the name of the block pictured right?
- What is the name of the mermaid boss in Wario's Woods?
- Who is the 64th ruler of the Dolphinian Empire?
|The 'Shroom: Issue 123
|Staff Notes • The 'Shroom Spotlight • Poll Chairperson Election
|Fake News • Fun Stuff • Palette Swap • Pipe Plaza • Critic Corner • Strategy Wing
|Community Awards Dossier