OK, here we have a functionally identical item, complete with tongue-in-cheek reference with the amount it restores. JP name is the same, and is the same as what the English name is in the latter appearance. Merge or no? Doc von Schmeltwick (talk) 16:26, March 3, 2020 (EST)
- I'd support it. It changed shape, but it's otherwise the same item. There's also Coco Pop and Coco Candy to look at. Niiue - Who has lost his tail? 16:31, March 3, 2020 (EST)
- I have no doubt that these are the same. Same "Jelly" name, same recipe, same purpose. These are identical in every way but name. Scrooge200 (talk) 17:50, March 3, 2020 (EST)
Merge Jelly Pop to Jelly Candy and Coco Pop to Coco Candy
|This talk page proposal has already been settled. Please do not edit any of the sections in the proposal. If you wish to discuss the article, do so in a new header below the proposal.|
While the Super Soda thing ended up unexpectedly controversial, I am still hunting for things that need merged between games. These are two far more clear-cut examples. Same recipes, JP name, and weirdly specific function (particulalry for the Jelly case). Note that the JP "Fire Candy" and "Electro Candy" were translated as "Fire Pop" and "Electro Pop," and didn't get a redesign or English name change.
- Doc von Schmeltwick (talk) Per proposal
- Niiue (talk) Per proposal.
- LinkTheLefty (talk) It seems it may be the same in at least one other language as well (probably most), but yes, per proposal and discussion.
- Alex95 (talk) - I'm fine with this one.
- FanOfYoshi (talk) Why not?
- SmokedChili (talk) Per all. As I said on the Super Soda merge proposal: Given the localization of TTYD this name change is in line with other renames like Mushroom Town (or Mushville) and Chestnut King where an existing English name of the subject from the first game is replaced with a near-literal translation of its Japanese name. Also by the logic of different English name and appearance, shouldn't we then split Magic Mushroom from Super Mushroom?
- Toadette the Achiever (talk) Ehh, it's not that bad when you compare it to Super Soda and Fresh Juice, so I guess I'm fine with this one.
- 7feetunder (talk) Like Fright Jar/Mask these are obviously just more instances of the translators not being able to predict the inexplicable redesigns of several items, thus the need to rename them.
I'm extremely skeptical of the arguments brought forth in this proposal. I mean, sure, the case for merging is much stronger than with Super Soda and Fresh Juice, but for all we know, they could just be different types of candy. It's not all that uncommon for softer shell candy to be stored in wrappers. I also find it incredibly weird that Jelly Pop/Candy and Coco Pop/Candy received this kind of "redesign" while Fire Pop and Electro Pop did not. (T|C) 22:33, March 7, 2020 (EST)
- More visual variety? It's like how the "[cook name] specials" went from being all recolored "blob with leaf" to more various things, designs that stuck in SPM for their counterparts. Also, lollipops are still candy. Doc von Schmeltwick (talk) 22:46, March 7, 2020 (EST)