This article or section is about an upcoming game
. Editors must
cite sources for all contributions to this article. Edits that do not follow this standard will be reverted without notice.For more information, see the Citation Policy.
|Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
|| February 21, 2014 |
||Single player, Multiplayer
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is an upcoming side-scrolling 2.5D platform game in development by Retro Studios for the Wii U. It is the fifth game in the Donkey Kong Country series. What is currently known is that Dixie Kong will appear as a playable character, similar to Diddy Kong's role in Donkey Kong Country Returns, and that the main antagonists, the Snomads, will be based on stereotypical Vikings. The Vikings seem to appear as animals like penguins, walruses, and owls. The game was originally slated for release during November 2013 before being pushed back to December 6; it was later pushed back again to February 2014.
The gameplay of the title is very similar to that of its predecessor, Donkey Kong Country Returns. Still, it features more playable characters, including Dixie Kong, who can use her ponytail to go up in midair and glide, and Cranky Kong, who can use his cane to destroy some obstacles, such as Spikes. The game also presents ice and underwater levels, which were absent in the Wii game. The swimming ability returns in this game; in the Wii game, touching water meant instant death. A new air gauge is implemented in water stages, requiring the Kongs to find air bubbles to avoid drowning.
For the first time in the series, the camera angle can change dynamically in some levels where Blast Barrels or minecarts are found, showing more areas and perspectives of the scenery.
Similarly to Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, the player can choose an easier mode giving each Kong three health hearts instead of two. Minecarts also have these hearts, enabling the player to be hit once without losing a life.
- Penguins who act similarly to Tiki Goons.
- Penguins wearing horned helmets.
- Archer penguins who shoot fish.
- Red archer penguins who shoot fiery fish.
- Penguins that carry spears. 
- Orange Penguins that carrying "mellon bombs" on his back.
- Big Penguins that help the Boss Seal.
- Flying penguins wearing pilot headgear.
- Viking owls.
- Giant viking owls.
- Burly walrus-like Vikings that require three stomps to defeat.
- Smaller walrus-like Vikings.
- Bouncing rabbit Vikings.
- Blue and red toucan enemies that act similarly to Awks.
- Mantis enemies that act similarly to Frogoons.
- Snail enemies.
- Turtle enemies that retreat into their shell after being stomped on, like Koopa Troopas.
- Platforms with a carnivorous plant acting similarly to a Chomp under them.
- Bluish fish.
- Fire Hedgehogs that are defeated by throwing water fruit.
- A flying Chicken like enemies.
- Sea Urchins that appear in the Boss Seal battle.
- Big fish that appear in the Boss Seal battle.
- Burning Screaming Pillars.
- Jellyfish enemies.
- A giant catfish with facial hair that hides in the background of an underwater level.
- A large shark-like creature that can eat the minecart track.
Worlds and levels
The game is confirmed to have six islands that the Kongs must traverse before reaching Donkey Kong Island. The known islands are Lost Mangroves, Autumn Heights, Bright Savannah, Sea Breeze Cove, Juicy Jungle, and a frozen Donkey Kong Island.
- 1-1: Mangrove Cove: A level featuring water ponds.
- 1-4: Trunk Twister: A minecart level.
- 1-B: Big Top Bop: The viking seal boss level.
- 2-6: Cannon Canyons: A cliff level where the Kongs use several Barrel Cannons.
- Scorch 'N Torch: A burning forest where the player must use water fruit to douse the fire.
- High Tide Ride: A cavern level where the Kongs ride minecarts, jumping from rail to rail.
- Alpine Incline: An ice level with many stone structures.
- Acquedut Assault: A mountain-themed level which contain elastic balloons.
- Jelly Jamboree: A jungle stage with bouncy gelatinous trampolines.
- Homecoming Hijinks
- Bramble Scramble
- An underwater silhouette stage featuring jellyfish enemies.
- A canyon containing giraffe and zebra-esque poles.
- For this subject's image gallery, see Gallery:Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.
References to other games
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest: Enemies in this game are going under a pirate theme. Vikings are a type of pirates since they both have ships, steal goods and own various weapons of some sort. Dixie Kong returns from this game where she was first playable. Bramble levels return and there's even one named Bramble Scramble after the original in this game.
- Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!: The next game in the series where Dixie Kong was playable except she had a staring role in the game rather than a sidekick.
- Donkey Kong Country Returns: Being the direct sequel to this game, the gameplay in this game is similar to its predecessor. Some enemies in its sequel have similar actions as the ones in this game.
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D: The New game mode originated here and was borrowed for this game.
- ^ http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/archive/10-01-2013/
- ^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnac6aGGG10
- ^ Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze delayed - GameSpot
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ a b c d 
- ^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VPovBZkLko
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^