|Diddy Kong Pilot
||Game Boy Advance
||Single player, Multiplayer
Diddy Kong Pilot was a planned sequel to Diddy Kong Racing, but with flying as the only means of transport. However, Nintendo found the game substandard (one of the point of criticism provided was "There's no point in flying up and down on flat levels") and did not want to publish it. After Rare was sold to Microsoft, which caused the company to lose the rights to Donkey Kong characters, Diddy Kong Pilot was converted into the game Banjo-Pilot in 2005. However, on November 5th 2011, a collector who had purchased a prototype cartridge leaked its ROM onto the internet.
The game was first shown at Spaceworld 2001, where its cast consisted of both Donkey Kong Country and Mario characters - a first for a Donkey Kong Country spin-off. This version allowed players to take control of Diddy Kong, Princess Peach, Mario, Cranky Kong, Donkey Kong, King K. Rool, Yoshi (sitting atop a Lakitu's Cloud), Wario (piloting a red biplane similar to the Bulldog), Bowser, Funky Kong, Dixie Kong, and Toad. However, a later build revised the roster to Krunch, Dixie Kong, Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong, King K. Rool, Candy Kong, Cranky Kong, and a character tentatively called Redneck Kong, who was "killed off" early in development according to one of the developers. There is a screenshot showing a rocket boost in it which revealed that rocket boosts were probably going to be an item in the game. This game was also going to use the tilt sensor.
There is a gameplay video that a Rare member (Transparentjinjo) posted on YouTube on September 15, 2011 to reveal more information about the game before its cancellation and another on October 3, 2011 to reveal even more details about the game. It is shown to have a Racing mode, Stories mode, Dogfights mode, Battles mode, Clock Race, and Options mode. The Options mode has revealed that the player could decide if he or she wanted to use the D-Pad or the tilt sensor, implying that the game was going to use the tilt sensor.
Like the predecessor, the player can collect bananas. When Races mode is selected and the player goes on to selecting a level, he or she can choose the difficulty of the level.
There is also a stories mode with three different stories: King of Kongs, Back to the Light, and K. Rool's Gold. King of Kongs set contains Beach Barricade, another beach level. It appears to be incomplete. There is also a lava level in the Back to the Light set. It is unknown what the course's name is. There is also a Classic Dogfight in the K. Rool's Gold set on which appears to have Magma Mainland in it. There is also Cranky's Challenge where the player has to be first and collect all of the Banana Coins. This was later replaced by Jiggy Challenge in Banjo-Pilot.
Another mode is the dogfight mode where the player may do a Classic Dogfight, a Dawn Duel, a Classic Variation, or a Focal Feud. This mode has players fighting against each other. The difficulty can also be chosen on this mode.
There is also a Clock Race mode where the player can race on any track in a Time Trials-like way. The difficulty can also be chose.
The player can also enter his or her name and Cranky aids the Kongs instead of being a playable by sitting next to his hut.
- Rockets: These can be used to slow down players.
- Rocket Boost: These can be used to speed up temporarily.
- Peanuts: These can be used to shoot opponents into the ground.
- Magnet: These can be used to make the player pass others when close by.
- DK Balloons: These contain an item with Cranky on it. It retires the player from advancing.
- ? Balloons: They contain regular items.
- K-O-N-G Letters: Collectibles later replaced by Jiggies in Banjo-Pilot.
- Buzzes (Pink, Green, and Blue): Sent after opponents to attack.
- Zingers: Can be sent behind as a weapon.
- Rambi the Rhino: Allows invincibility.
Race courses (beta)
- Bounty Beach: A race track taking place on the beach as the name states. It has palm trees in the background along with the shore.
- Farm Attract:
- Jet Set Jungle:
- Beach Race: The player races Donkey Kong in this area.
- Swoop Swamp:
- Jungle Race:
- Magma Mainland: A lava-like area with volcanoes nearby.
- Haunted Race:
- Lake Race:
- Lava Race:
- Swamp Race: Takes place in a Swamp-like area. Nothing else is known.
- Crackpot Keep:
Island of Eggs
- Vulture Valley:
- Keep Race:
- Lake Race:
- Chicken Chase: There appear to be chickens in this level and takes place near a farm.
- Frosty Lake
- Farm Race
- Desert Race
- Snow Race
Race courses (current)
Klaptrap Cup/Dixie Kong Cup
- Steamy Swoop: Jungle-themed with Donkey Kong's treehouse in the background.
- Plain Pursuit: Desert-themed with Expresso as an easter egg.
- Chilly Length: Ice-themed with whales as Easter Eggs.
- Magma Spurt: Lava-themed with a golden K. Rool statue in the background.
Kritter Cup/Diddy Kong Cup
- Shore Strife: Beach-themed.
- Jungle Jostle: Jungle-themed.
- Temple Heat: Lava-themed.
- Wild Wilderness: Wilderness-themed.
Klump Cup/Funky Kong Cup
- Frosty Feud: Ice-themed.
- Vine Rush: Jungle-themed.
- Speedy Show: Lava-themed.
- Reef Encounter: Beach-themed.
K. Rool Cup/Donkey Kong Cup
- Lava Dispute: Lava-themed.
- Frantic Beach: Beach-themed.
- Prairie Dash: Prairie-themed.
- Icy Passage: Ice-themed.
- Jungle Jig
- Sunset Scrap
- Ice Escapades
- Beach Brawl
This article is under construction. Therefore, please excuse its informal appearance while it's being worked on. We hope to have it completed as soon as possible.
Sprites and models
SpaceWorld 2001 build character sprites
SpaceWorld 2001 build character icons
Selecting the Racing mode
The character select screen.
Sprites and models
- ^ a b DK Vine
- ^ "Diddy Kong Pilot - Very Early Beta Spaceworld" on YouTube
- ^ http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/07/diddy-kong-pilot-banjo-pilot-beta
|Donkey Kong series
||Donkey Kong (1981, Arcade) • Donkey Kong Jr. (1982, Arcade) • Donkey Kong 3 (1983, Arcade)
|Mario vs. Donkey Kong
||Mario vs. Donkey Kong (2004, GBA) • March of the Minis (2006, DS) • Minis March Again! (2009, DSiWare) • Mini-Land Mayhem! (2010, DS) • Minis on the Move (2013, 3DS) • Tipping Stars (2015, 3DS/Wii U)
|Donkey Kong Country
||Donkey Kong Country (1994, SNES) • Donkey Kong Country 2 (1995, SNES) • Donkey Kong Country 3 (1996, SNES) • Donkey Kong Country Returns (2010, Wii) • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (2014, Wii U)
|Donkey Kong Land
||Donkey Kong Land (1995, GB) • Donkey Kong Land 2 (1996, GB) • Donkey Kong Land III (1997, GB)
||Donkey Konga (2003, GC) • Donkey Konga 2 (2004, GC) • Donkey Konga 3: Tabehōdai! Haru Mogitate 50 Kyoku (2005, GC)
||Diddy Kong Racing (1997, N64) • Diddy Kong Racing DS (2007, NDS) • Donkey Kong Barrel Blast (2007, Wii)
||Donkey Kong Jr. Math (1983, NES) • Donkey Kong Hockey (1984, G&W) • Donkey Kong Circus (1984, G&W) • Donkey Kong 64 (1999, N64) • Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (2004, GCN) • Donkey Kong: Jungle Fever (2005, Arcade) • DK: King of Swing (2005, GBA) • Donkey Kong: Banana Kingdom (2006, Arcade) • DK: Jungle Climber (2007, NDS)
||Donkey Kong (1982, G&W) • Donkey Kong Jr. (1982, G&W) • Donkey Kong II (1983, G&W) • Donkey Kong Jr. + Jr. Math Lesson (1983, NES) • Donkey Kong 3 (1984, G&W) • Donkey Kong Classics (1988, NES) • Donkey Kong (1994, GB) • Classic NES Series: Donkey Kong (2004, GBA) • Diddy Kong Racing DS (2007, DS) • New Play Control! Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (Wii, 2008) • Donkey Kong Original Edition (2010, VC) • Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (2013, 3DS)