Artwork of Beespy with Buzzbees.
|First appearance||Donkey Kong 3 (1983)|
|Latest appearance||Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushū (1984)|
Beespies (or Bee spies) are large members of the beehives in Donkey Kong 3. Starting from round 3, they begin appearing from the hives that Donkey Kong shakes loose. They take two shots of Stanley's Sprayer to defeat; the first shot simply turns them blue (green in the NES version). Even after the second shot, they split into four small stingers that are still harmful to Stanley. Sometimes they are escorted by Buzzbee guards that increase their point value significantly.
Names in other languages
|Japanese||親バチ・ベスピー / おやバチ ベスピー
- In the NES version manual, the term "Queen Buzzbee" appears at one point to describe Beespy, despite the enemy being identified as Beespy elsewhere in the same manual. This is a mistranslation from the Famicom version manual, which uses 「おやバチ・ベスピー」 in this instance. Despite this, Queen Buzzbee occasionally resurfaces in English-language materials, named separately from Beespy. In Donkey Kong 3-e, the name Queen Buzzbee is listed separately and attributed to Beespy's characteristics, but is scored like guarded Beespy, suggesting that Queen Buzzbee is technically treated as the name of a Beespy with an escort, akin to Blooper Nanny and Blooper Baby.
- Donkey Kong 3 back flyer (English).
- Donkey Kong 3 NES instruction booklet, page 6.
- Donkey Kong 3 NES instruction booklet, page 2.
- Donkey Kong 3 back flyer (Japanese).
- Alternate Japanese instructions seen here
- Donkey Kong 3 e-manual, pag. 8
- Arcade Archives Donkey Kong Jr., in-game manual
- Donkey Kong 3 NES instruction booklet, page 5. "Queen Buzzbees must be zapped twice. In the end, they explode and scatter all over the place so you have to be careful not to get hit by them."
- Donkey Kong 3 NES instruction booklet, page 7. "Guards (two) 1,000 pts. Guard (one) 700 pts. Buzzbee with a flower 400 pts. Beespy 400 pts. Attacker 200 pts. Buzzbee 100 pts. * As the rounds advance, other pesky bugs also appear."
- Donkey Kong 3 Famicom instruction booklet, page 5.
- Tatsumi Yamashita, The Official Nintendo Player's Guide, Tokuma Shoten, 1987, ISBN 999832369X. Page 156. "Buzzbees, queen buzzbees, bee spies, and crafty snakes will attack you and go for the flowers."
- Card 4 of 5/codes 7-8 for the Donkey Kong 3 series of e-Reader cards. ENEMIES. "Includes: Beespy, Buzzbee, Attacker, and Queen Buzzbee. (As the rounds advance, other pesky bugs will also appear.)"
- Card 5 of 5/code 9-10 for the Donkey Kong 3 series of e-Reader cards. TIPS. "Remember, when attacking the Queen Buzzbies, it takes two shots to knock them out. Upon defeat they will shoot their stingers in four different directions. Directly below them is the ideal place to be."
- Card 3 of 5/codes 5-6 for the Donkey Kong 3 series of e-Reader cards. SCORING. "Queen Buzzbee–700 points Buzzbee with a flower–400 points Beespy–400 points Attacker–200 points Buzzbee–100 points"
|Donkey Kong 3|
|Characters||Donkey Kong • Stanley|
|Enemies||Buzzbee • Creepy • Super Bee* • Vine Eater* • Beespy • Attacker • Kabutomushi • Butterfly|
|Greenhouses||Blue • Gray • Yellow|
|Other||Gallery • Staff|
|*Only appears in the arcade version of the game|