The 'Shroom:Issue XCIX/Poll Chairperson Election
Poll Committee Chairperson Election
One point this proposal addressed was the creation of a Poll committee, a selected group of users to create and select polls to feature on the Main Page. The members of this committee are meant to be selected by a person in charge of the committee, the Poll Committee Chairperson, who shall be elected by the community. The sixth annual Poll Committee Chairperson Election is taking place here.
What does the Chairperson do?
As the person in charge of the Poll Committee, the Chairperson holds several responsibilities. The essential obligations of the Chairperson are listed below.
The Poll Committee Chairperson...
- ...needs to select six users who will, together with the Chairperson, form the Poll Committee. These six users should be trusted members of the community.
- ...needs to select one of these six users to be their surrogate. The surrogate will replace the Chairperson in case they are not able to hold their position anymore.
- ...should suggest, discuss, and vote on polls in a sub-forum exclusively for the Poll Committee. These polls should be appropriate and not be detrimental for the Mario Wiki's reputation. A forum account is required for the position of the Chairperson, as well as for every other member of the committee.
- ...should be active. They should be able to cast a vote every two weeks. If a decision cannot be made, the Chairperson holds the right to abstain from voting (the committee needs to be informed of this abstain however). Repeated failure to cast a vote or abstain might result in a loss of the chair position.
- ...holds the right to suggest the dismissal of a certain committee member if said member does not uphold their responsibilities properly. A vote among all committee members will then commence. If three other members agree with the suggestion, the member in question will be dismissed. The Chairperson then has to select another user to take their place.
- ...will keep their position for one year, provided that nothing out of the ordinary happens. After that period, a new Chairperson will be elected. The old Chairperson holds the right to attend this election as a candidate once again and thus has the chance to be elected for another year.
If you think you might be a suitable candidate for this position, you can enter this election as a candidate.
How do I become a Chairperson?
To become the Poll Committee's Chairperson, you need to be elected by the Mario Wiki Community. For this matter, you can campaign in the election below. You can join the election as a candidate at any time, except if the election reaches Overtime. If you are interested, follow these steps to nominate yourself:
===Your Name=== Your reason why you should become the Chairperson ====Votes====
- You can enter the election by filling out this form and posting it below. New campaigns go to the bottom of the page.
- Listing a running mate is not a requirement to be a candidate and is only optional.
- You can only nominate yourself. Entering someone other than you in this election will not be tolerated.
- Make sure your campaign is of reasonably proper grammar, so that people can understand what you are trying to say.
- After your campaign is set up, people might add their votes to the Vote section of your campaign. As a user of the Mario Wiki, you have a vote as well, and you are allowed to vote for yourself.
- If you have the most votes by the end of the election, you will become the new Chairperson. If there is a tie by the end of the election, it will continue between the candidates with the highest amounts of votes for one week. This procedure is called Overtime. If there is still a tie by the end of the new deadline, the election will once again be extended by one week. Overtime continues until one candidate has the highest amount of votes.
- Please take this matter seriously! Joke campaigns and profanity will be removed without warning. Additional steps might be taken against violators of this rule.
How do I vote here?
You can vote by going to the Vote section of a campaign and add this form to it. Remember to replace “Name” with your actual user name.
Alternatively, a user may cast an anonymous vote by using the form below. Note that people may see who voted anonymously when viewing the page history.
You can only vote for one person at a time. If the election reaches Overtime and your candidate gets eliminated, you can cast another vote for the remaining candidates if you like.
- To be scheduled.
If there are still questions left, feel free to ask one of Mario Wiki's admins.
Heya, everyone! :'D I am Palkia47, better known as Packy. I have been a part of this community for seven years, and I am the current Fun Stuff director for the Shroom, after heading Critic Corner for about a little over a year. I am a very active member of the forums and the chat, and I am also a former Bureaucrat over on Userpedia.
Admittedly, I have never served on any version of the poll committee before, however, the job sounds extremely interesting and, truthfully, sounds really fun and enjoyable. I would love to be able to have the opportunity to work together with a committee to create the best possible polls for this site. Although I do have a lack of experience in actually working with and/or for the committee in any capacity beforehand (besides just observing the polls that are released), I will try and do my hardest in maintaining the way the polls and the committee have been handled by chairpersons of the past. I would also like to continue the basis of polls being video gaming-centric, with certainly a bit more focus on the Nintendo universe (and even more-so the Mario universe), as it should be, much like how the polls have bridged between an E3 question, an Amiibo question, and a Mario Party question.
I truly hope you all consider me, and whether you do or not, thank you for at least taking the time and reading! Good luck to anyone else who decides to run for this position!
- Baby Luigi (talk)
- PowerKamek (talk)
- Gabumon (talk)
- Marshal Dan Troop (talk)
- Lumastar (talk)
- Crocodile Dippy (talk) ~ I've worked directly with Packy, so I know he can be trusted. However, my vote is only on the condition that Packy includes Andymii (talk) on his committee; kid's got potential and a good attitude, and I want to see him get more hands-on experience.
- Super Mario Bros. (talk) – Per Dippy. Packy is an outstanding member of the community, has great administrative experience, and works on his projects to the best of his ability. He can definitely oversee the committee's operations and improve how it works. Andymii is also an excellent person, is proving himself to be a responsible and caring individual, and I think he would do great on the committee in some form. Best wishes for the upcoming year!
Oh, dear; I am running against my ‘Shroom boss. I hope I don’t get fired. Hmm.
Okay, but in all seriousness, hello there! The name’s Andymii, and this is a momentous time for me. Just one-and-a-half years ago, I made the great decision to finally register on the wiki. When I joined, I started to just make minor edits without getting noticed much by the community. But as time went on, I realized I could do a lot more, and became active in a lot more ways: making and voting in proposals, taking part in discussions in talk pages, writing for the ‘Shroom, joining the forum, all in all with 1,600 edits and counting within this short time period. It quickly became my dream to reach such a position such as Poll Chairperson one day, creating exciting new polls on the front page; now I’m extremely proud to be you candidate.
Now, why Poll Chairperson? More so, why would I make a viable candidate? I believe the function of polls is beyond a simple survey- it’s something that I personally look forward to whenever a new one comes out. The current Poll Committee has done a particularly good job in keeping the polls particularly enjoyable, albeit a little predictable.
I’ve always been told that my strengths are creativity and leadership, and with my experience here on the MarioWiki, this exactly fits the qualities of a great Poll Committee leader. I believe that I am capable of leading a team that can easily match (or possibly outdo!) last year’s committee with polls that focus on recent happenings, polls that are maybe a little retro, and best of all, polls that tackle great debates with hopefully very close scores. Who knows? Maybe we could even fine tune our polls to be to most exciting for everyone by giving out surveys every once in a while so we can find out what the people like to vote about.
Teamwork-wise, I already have a plan: the more creative of us can collaborate and make a truly interesting poll, while the more technical of us can put it onto PollDaddy and onto the front page (which is more complicated than it looks, apparently). That way, everyone has a major job, and we all work together well.
I know I am the underdog in this competition, but as Chairperson of the Poll Committee, it would truly be my undertaking to, with the team, to make this important piece of the front page the best it can be. I would like to thank you for reading this, and please consider me to be your 2015-2016 candidate for this job. That said, good luck to all the candidates, and may the best candidate win!
I would have nominated myself but considering that my personal to-do list is going to explode at any rate, adding poll maintenance and poll committee overview to my worklist would stress me out further. I'd feel another person would do the job much better than I can at the moment. The committee is pretty low-maintenance though, it's pretty easy to know how it works and if you have any questions you can feel free to ask Mario4Ever or any of the various veteran/current poll committee members such as me. I think you'd make a good chairperson, so here's my vote. Ray Trace(T|C) 01:53, 21 June 2015 (EDT)
|The 'Shroom XCIX|
|Staff sections||Opening Statement|
|Poll Chairperson Election|
|Sub-teams||Fake News • Fun Stuff • Palette Swap • Pipe Plaza • Critic Corner• Strategy Wing|
|Main sections||Mario Calendar • Upcoming Games|
|Specials||Mario Awards IX Art Contest • 'Shroom Awards Dossier • Userpedia Awards Dossier|