MarioWiki:Featured articles/N1/Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
From the Super Mario Wiki
- Super Radio (talk) A long time ago I saw the Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze article was just a superficial list of characters, items, and levels. Having played the game, I remember being uncontent with the article being just so negligent over the game's beautiful diversity. In other words, it didn't capture anything about the game's true substance, minus the story part which looked good from the start, so I decided to jump in and do some justice.
Firstly, I tried to explain the gameplay as if it is somebody's first DKC game, down to mentioning DK's most basic actions (walking, jumping) which are prevalent in most platformers. I detailed mechanics such as DK partners (describing their new abilities), vehicles (minecarts and rocket barrels), health count, swimming, plucking function etc., as well as game modes; basically everything I found to be relevant to the gameplay after exploring the game itself enough times, being careful to avoid any inaccuracies.
Secondary contributions of mine included the enemy, item and level tables, which, as you can see, follow a very similar format to those of other DKC articles for consistency's sake. Indeed, I tried to preserve the overall aspect of those articles, adding a blue hue to the table headers to go well with the ice stuff. Moving on, I wrote about every element covered by the Prima guide, and I would like to thank mr. Time Turner (talk) for his help on providing me with info from the guide.
Other contributions were the Marketing, Media, and Unused Content sections, the latter extending into a separate article, List of extras in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. I sense some might consider the Marketing section too short - blame Nintendo, not me.
Lastly, I made sure over time that my writing is professional and concise; the text has undergone some hefty revisions due to it being originally plagued by an amateurishly pretentious and verbose style, for which I am to blame... In addition, there are no red links, and each article has substantial information on its subject! Of course, other users, like Toadette the Achiever (talk), RandomYoshi (talk) and Mario jc (talk), are to be credited for filling in many of the missing levels, as I only did a few.
I would like to know if this article respects the FA standards, and especially if it looks like something that would convince you to, well, play the game!
- Yoshi the SSM (talk) Mistakes aside (see Baby Luigi's comments) I think this is a good article. There is no guarantee that one will play this due to the Wii U is no more and Nintendo moved to the Switch, but if one has a Wii U, this will convince them a little more than other things they may find.
- Owencrazyboy9 (talk) That is the longest reason for supporting a proposal or featured article ever. Article looks really good upon a quick skim-through, so I'm supporting it.
Removal of opposes
Several things I'd like to bring up before I throw my support.
- The staff section could be entirely written in prose format rather than listing names of people.
- Article can benefit from a reception section.
- Trivia section is a little bit too long, with many of the information here being able to fit at least in the opening paragraph.
- Pre-release and unused content has a garish use of the multi-image template, cut it down to a few images or at least put them in a gallery, since galleries will automatically format images to work on any resolution.
- Personally, I believe the Playable Characters table can also benefit from prose format rather than bullets.
- Thank you, Baby Luigi, for your feedback. I have amended the article, but I'm still looking into writing a reception section. One bit of trivia was already on the Funky Kong article, and another was unnecessary. I prefer the multi-image template because it increases detail on those pictures more so than a gallery format. -- --