NICKNAME? I'm in rage. SWFlash
- Mario calls him that all the time (can't think of any text examples, but I'm sure I've heard voice acting examples). Plus, Baby Luigi calls himself "Baby Weegee" in Mario Kart: Double Dash!!. Most nicknames aren't major, but this had reoccurred a few times, and the meme has made it even more well-known. Having the "meme" as a redirect also makes it less likely that new users will see we don't have a "Weegee" page and make one: at least this way we show that we know about it. But that's just a secondary reason for the redirect; the main thing is that it's a recurring nickname. - Walkazo 11:07, 10 March 2011 (EST)
Speaking of Weegee, it's currently not a redirect. The paragraph talking about it should be edited. GreenDisaster 17:28, 27 April 2012 (EDT)
- Never mind. Also, is it acceptable to remove a hyphen from a name, like XNaut PhD? GreenDisaster 19:20, 14 May 2012 (EDT)
Redirect Linking Discouragement=
Slightly hypocritical. Jovester 🍔👢💎👔 14:41, 14 April 2014 (EDT)
- I don't think it is a good idea to discourage linking to redirects in all circumstances. Sometimes linking to redirects is helpful. I've had two experiences in which this helped.
- The first one is around July 2015, where PMTTYD badges like Super Appeal P got their own pages. Before that, the only place to get information about each badge was the "Badge" article, so a page like "Super Appeal P" was a redirect to "Badge#Super_Appeal_P". However, I didn't think other references to the Super Appeal P badge should link there too, so I still said, for example,
[[Super Appeal P]]. Later when pages like "Super Appeal P" got turned into real articles, none of my old tables needed to update.
- The second one is when this proposal was carried out, which caused the destination of a redirect like "Big-POW Badge" from, say, "Badge#Big-POW Badge" to "List of badges in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time#Big-POW Badge". In this case, if other pages said
[[Big-POW Badge]]instead of
[[Badge#Big-POW Badge|Big-POW Badge]], there's no need for them to update too. A gossip-loving Toad (talk) 07:04, 4 February 2016 (EST)
I think it should be added that when a redirect is made, all of the words should either have the first letters capitalized or lowercase (not including the first word). I say this, because I have noticed that redirects like "Unagi the Eel" and "Mario & luigi: Super star saga" only work if you type in the exact capitalizations, while you don't have to be exact for "Unagi the eel" and "Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga". --TheFlameChomp (talk) 21:32, 22 April 2017 (EDT)
Smart Quotes in redirects
My phone likes to use smart quotes. I created Peach’s Castle because I didn’t know Peach's Castle existed. The thing is, I can’t use normal quotes on my phone without a third-party keyboard. Are smart quote redirects allowed, and if so, shouldn’t we say so on this page? -YFJ (talk · edits) 12:30, 12 January 2018 (EST)
- It can be helpful for devices that use them by default, so sure.
- By the way, if the phone you're using is an iPhone, you can use normal quotes by holding the quote key and selecting it, or you can turn smart quotes off altogether by going to Settings > General > Keyboard > Smart Punctuation (toggle on/off). Mario JC 21:53, 12 January 2018 (EST)
- There was a Talk Page Proposal (that you VOTED on, let me remind you) to move that page over to Snake (Yoshi's Story). The redirect was then deleted in order to complete the move, as is standard procedure. There would be absolutely no need for it otherwise, and I've fixed all the page links that pointed to it to link to the new page name instead, which is why I'm trying to figure out why you went and recreated it for no reason. -- Lord G. matters. 06:50, September 23, 2019 (EDT)