Category talk:Koopa Troop weapons
So, what's this category for, exactly? It sounds like it's only for weapons explicitly used by the Koopa Troop, but most uses I've seen are more along the lines of "Category:Traps and Obstacles, but Mario-specific". Niiue (talk) 06:41, 15 August 2017 (EDT)
This category needs help
I'm apprehensive about an outright deletion since I can see merit for objects like the Magic Paintbrush and non-video game weapons used by the Koopa Troop, but one look at this category will tell you it's in need of fixing. In addition to the overlap with the since-renamed Category:Hazardous objects pointed out by Niiue, there's also overlap with Category:Bullet Bills, Category:Mechakoopas, Category:Shells, and so on. Sure, the Koopa Troop hasn't used every Bullet Bill or Bill Blaster, but the same can be said about not every boss being a villain and vise versa, and we know how that went... A few other problematic articles of note include:
- Baseball (object): Used by Confused Chucks in Super Mario World, but used exclusively by the heroes in Super Mario 3D World and neutrally in spin-offs. This also applies to other objects not always used by the Koopa Troop, such as barrels and fireballs, and it reeks of Category:Hostages.
- Koopa Shellceiver: A communication device, not a weapon.
- Robot cockpit: Transportation with no offensive capabilities until it attaches to Megahammer.
And most egregiously of all:
- Flying Platform: The article explicitly notes that it only covers the helpful three-block platforms Mario and Luigi ride in the Forest Secret Area and not the two-block ones used by Amazing Flyin' Hammer Brothers — and even if it exclusively covered the latter, it would still only be considered transportation with no offensive capabilities.
I'd suggest trimming this category down to weapons and harmful objects intrinsically linked with the Koopa Troop while adding the aforementioned Category:Bullet Bills and the like as subcategories. I'd be open to other ideas, though! SolemnStormcloud (talk) 20:02, November 11, 2023 (EST)
Decide what to do with this category
|This talk page proposal has already been settled. Please do not edit any of the sections in the proposal. If you wish to discuss the article, do so in a new header below the proposal.
Per my and Niiue's commentary above. In addition to that, there have been two recent factors that make the continued existence of this category (at least in its current state) dicey. First of all, there has been discussion of moving the Koopa Troop article to "Bowser's Minions" due to the group's rename in the Super Mario RPG remake. If we go through with this rename, the name of this category may end up clunky: "Bowser's Minions weapons" doesn't roll of the tongue very well with a possessive "S" and two plurals in a row, and something like "Weapons used by Bowser's Minions" rolls off the tongue better but is longer and even clunkier. Secondly, this category has also been added to some Thwomp species...even though Thwomps are really more "guards" than "weapons".
With all this in mind, I have three possible solutions to this category's problems:
- Trim to weapons intrinsically linked with the Koopa Troop — This category is trimmed down to actual weapons like the Magic Paintbrush and traps like Fire Bars and Spinners that are intrinsically linked with the Koopa Troop.
- Delete this category — Self-explanatory. This category goes Koopa Kaput. Its subcategory, Category:Kooky von Koopa's inventions, would be retained, however.
- Do nothing — This category is left in its horrible, horrible state. Please don't vote this.
Delete this category
- SolemnStormcloud (talk) Primary choice. Given the two factors mentioned above, I've become more comfortable with an outright deletion.
- Swallow (talk) I feel this category has been over abused especially with Thwomp being added for "being a trap enemy" (the edit summary from the user who added it there)
- Hewer (talk) The first option isn't objective enough for my liking and it generally seems weird to pretend a lot of these objects are Koopa Troop-exclusive weaponry, so per all.
- Mario (talk) Reeks of 2007 fancruft.
- Doc von Schmeltwick (talk) This is a weird remnant subcategory of an old "villains' items" category that didn't last terribly long. It's awkward and its existence has bothered me for a bit now.
- ThePowerPlayer (talk) Per all.
- RosalinaFanboi777 (talk) It at least in my opinion is fairly redundant considering the fact that almost all hazards and obstacles in any main series Mario game fall under it. Same applies to hazards and obstacles in the Yoshi sub series. Personally don't see much point in keeping it.