User talk:Super Game Gear
|Dear Super Game Gear,
This is your third account after CoolNintendo (talk) and Tetris (talk), and they have been blocked. Please continue to use this Super Game Gear account from now on, as any further accounts that are created will also be blocked, including this one. If a problem arises with this account, please contact an administrator before creating another account, which can be done without logging in. You can also use Special:PasswordReset to get a new temporary password.
This is actually your fourth including Maciej the gaming pro (talk), though this was an unused one from four years ago. Please do not create multiple accounts, otherwise you will be temporarily blocked from editing entirely. If this is due to a forgotten password, make sure to add an email to your preferences so you're able to do a password reset, or contact an admin first before creating another account. Mario JC 21:38, October 10, 2023 (EDT)
- okay. first two i forgot password to. third one i decided i didn't like the username (Tetris) Super Game Gear (talk) 21:41, October 10, 2023 (EDT)
- You're allowed to request a rename three months after account creation. A new account shouldn't be made just to change your name; creating a username isn't something done with little thought, and since it's the name you settled with, it's expected that you stick with it at least for a while. Mario JC 22:03, October 10, 2023 (EDT)
Our templates generally have some amount of color for ease and thematic purposes, i.e. red templates on Mario games, green on Yoshi, brown on DK, purple on Wario, et cetera, often with colored text to represent multiple characters. If you're worried about your eyes being strained, I'd recommend you do what I do and find ways to turn the screen brightness down lower than it goes by default, which is a Godsend for late working in the dark - I use Intel Graphics Command Center, but you'll need to figure out what you'd need depending on your device. Doc von Schmeltwick (talk) 20:18, October 17, 2023 (EDT)
- The problem I have with colors and why I like the plain and simple look is because the use of colors is arbitrary, like the bright red on Famicom GP page. The coding for the navigation templates are not on the articles, but the coloring for the tables are. Super Game Gear (talk) 20:29, October 17, 2023 (EDT)
Hi, just to let you know, the "other appearances" sections are not for cameos in general. They're for cameos outside of the games this wiki covers. See relevant proposal.
Also I see you're grouping history sections by series instead of game. Nothing strongly against it for now but I'm curious, what's better about that format? Just want to know. S o m e t h i n g o n e ! 18:52, October 30, 2023 (EDT)
- Thanks for the heads up about Other appearances. Also, it's arbitrary, but I feel it's necessary if like other sections are too short (e.g. it's redundant if one section after another says "acts the same as in [game]" or "acts the same as in game"). I basically only prefer sections if they are large enough to warrant it, not like if they have 2-3 sentences that can be tied to like a similar release (e.g. if there's only three sentences describing Super Mario Galaxy 2's difference from Super Mario Galaxy, I think it's better off to put all the information together. Remakes tend to share an individual section as well, which I think you've seen around a wiki (like 64 / 64 DS), and it can reduce the redundancy of using sentences when having to reintroduce everything in like one or two sentences. Super Game Gear (talk) 18:58, October 30, 2023 (EDT)
- Ah, so reducing redundancy was the reason? Makes sense, really, I have seen those things before. Thanks for clarifying for me! S o m e t h i n g o n e ! 19:02, October 30, 2023 (EDT)
Trigger-happy info removal
Your recent mass excision of information from pages like Nintendo, iQue, and Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection on grounds that "it's not related to Mario enough" is pretty misguided. It leaves out historical and technical context that readers may benefit from knowing if they are willing to engage with Mario media specifically. You have reasoned that this much detail is comparable to listing entire in-depth biographies for the people involved in the Mario series, but I'd argue there's a crucial difference: these people are living, breathing beings whose existence isn't tied to a fictional character, meaning there is really only so much you can write about them on this site before the information starts becoming superfluous. With the aforementioned subjects, because they're inherently tied to Nintendo's game development history, they practically exist in symbiosis with Mario's franchise. Even then, I agree that some of the information may ramble in parts, but if you feel like you can reform some of the content to a degree you find reasonable, it's best to first initiate a discussion on the matter--the amount of content concerned here is large enough that it's nigh on guaranteed any attempts at handling it on your own will result in disagreements. -- KOOPA CON CARNE 09:41, November 27, 2023 (EST)
- Well, I guess what I can say is that this is how we learn along the way. I've run into a few disagreements with my edits before, and I did not start a conflict with them. Super Game Gear (talk) 10:03, November 27, 2023 (EST)
Now I checked the History section of Manual of Style, and found the guideline you told me, I will take your edits to know that I cannot add a History heading to a subject that made one appearance.
Also, I saw some articles with the description heading. Observing the edits you made with my previous edits, I took it as articles with little content to not need that 'Description' heading, if I am correct. Thank you for telling me.01:00, November 29, 2023 (EST)
History section splits
Hey, can you pause on splitting history sections? It's evident that guidelines per MarioWiki:Article size are not sufficient enough for a judgement call for several page splits you've attempted. We're trying to figure out how to rework these article size guidelines (the 100k byte limit in the policy is clearly not a good guideline, which is made much clearer from these attempts) so we don't have a suboptimal layout of pages in the process. While several of these are technically 100k or reaching it, the resulting original pages will be too small to justify an article, where their navigational templates exceed the size of the page. You've also split off a featured article Chain Chomp, which is too much of a drastic change affecting a front page display that we're not comfortable enough moving forward with without prior discussion. At the time of this post, there are several pages where it's not exceeding the disputed 100k limit, such as Thwomp, Coin, Bob-omb, Shy Guy. Even those a little over 100k such as Koopa Troopa and Piranha Plant are probably not advisable for a split yet. Even for a page like Goomba, try to trim content where possible too. For instance, I think there's too many images in that article, so if I wanted to cut down images, I'd consider very carefully which image illustrates this character's history (such as an appearance showing a redesign of Goomba or a stylistic change in Goomba) and which ones are less important (Goomba simply reappearing in a direct sequel). Mario-HOHO! (Talk / Stalk) 14:35, December 2, 2023 (EST)