The 'Shroom:Issue LXXXII/Upcoming Games
Hi there, and welcome once again to Upcoming Games!! As I said in the December Issue, despite having changed my bi-monthly schedule towards the end of 2013, I would still write for the January Issue, so here I am!
Unlike last month, there has been only one Nintendo Direct conference since the previous issue, but that doesn't make this section any less important. Let's see what Nintendo has in store for us this month!
Nintendo Direct 12.18.2013
The first Mario-related game discussed by Satoru Iwata, President of Nintendo, during the Nintendo Direct broadcast was Yoshi's New Island. Not much was shown aside from a game trailer and a Spring 2014 release date. Nintendo later announced, on January 10th, that Yoshi's New Island will be released for the Nintendo 3DS in North America on March 14th.
The next game appearing in the video was Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, for the Wii U. A game trailer was shown, revealing Donkey Kong's third partner, Cranky Kong. Tropical Freeze will mark Cranky's first appearance as a playable character in the Donkey Kong Country series. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze will be released in Japan on February 13th; in North America and Europe on February 21st; and in Australia on February 22nd.
Afterwards, Mr. Iwata announced a new downloadable Wii U game called NES Remix. It consists of a series of challenges set in classic NES titles, such as Super Mario Bros. or Donkey Kong. While some of the challenges remain unchanged from the original titles, others are, as the game's name suggests, remixed. The trailer shown during the Nintendo Direct conference presented viewers with examples of those remixed challenges, such as playing Donkey Kong as Link or playing in a reversed Super Mario Bros. level. NES Remix was released in all major regions on December 18th (December 19th in Japan due to time zones).
The last new Mario title unveiled during the December Nintendo Direct was Dr. Luigi, a new addition to the Dr. Mario series in which players must eliminate viruses using L-shaped capsules, as opposed to the classic capsules from other Dr. Mario games. Despite that, a classic mode which plays similarly to Dr. Mario is included in Dr. Luigi, as well as online play. Dr. Luigi was released as an exclusive eShop title in North America on December 31st, and in the other regions on January 15th.
Lastly, two previously announced games were featured in the form of trailers during the Nintendo Direct. Both Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U and Mario Kart 8 saw the addition of new playable characters: Rosalina will debut in the Super Smash Bros. series alongside Luma, while she and the four baby characters from Mario Kart Wii – Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Baby Peach and Baby Daisy – will join the other playable characters in Mario Kart 8. A new airport race course was also shown in the MK8 trailer. Both games are scheduled to be released in 2014.
Two titles were released in the 3DS Virtual Console during the past 30 days, while one title made it to the Virtual Console in both the 3DS and the Wii U. Mario Tennis (GBC) and Mario Bros. (NES) were released for the 3DS Virtual Console in Europe and Australia, while the first was also released in North America. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) was released for the 3DS Virtual Console in Europe and Australia, as well as for the Wii U Virtual Console in Europe, Australia and Japan.
- NES Remix (Wii U) – Nintendo eShop
- North America, Europe and Australia: December 18th, 2013
- Japan: December 19th, 2013 (as Famicom Remix)
- Mario Tennis (GBC) – Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- North America: December 26th, 2013
- Europe and Australia: January 2nd, 2014
- Dr. Luigi (Wii U) – Nintendo eShop
- North America: December 31st, 2013
- Japan: January 15th, 2014 (as Dr. Luigi & Virus Buster)
- Europe and Australia: January 15th, 2014
- Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) – 3DS and Wii U Virtual Console
- Japan: December 25th, 2013 (Wii U)
- Europe and Australia: December 26th, 2013 (3DS & Wii U)
- Mario Bros. (NES) – Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- Europe and Australia: January 9th, 2014
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)
- Japan: February 13th, 2014
- North America and Europe: February 21st, 2014
- Australia: February 22nd, 2014
- Yoshi's New Island (3DS)
- North America: March 14th, 2014
- Mario Party: Island Tour (3DS)
- Europe: January 17th, 2014
- Australia: January 18th, 2014
- Japan: March 20th, 2014
Well, that's all for this month in Upcoming Games!! I hope you enjoy this issue!! See you in March!!
|Previous Section Next Section|