MarioWiki:Featured articles/N2/Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
- Toa 95 (talk) I've been working on this article a lot (as several of you no doubt know), ever since I joined this wiki three years ago. When I nominated this previously, the article was better than before, but plenty more could be done to make it featured article quality. At this point, I now feel that it'sthere; everything that I could possibly say is there in as full detail as possible, organized neatly, and nothing looks out of shape.
- Glowsquid (talk)
- Boo4761 (talk)
- L151 (talk)
- Baby Luigi (talk)
- Mario (talk)
Removal of Opposes
I'm rather hesitant to support this simply because, just by going through it as a casual reader, I have a lot of questions. The Helper Monkeys are listed as one of the main characters, but there's no information dedicated to them here; speaking of, squids, the Chopperbird, and others are listed under "other", but that tells me zilch about what they are; the bosses are divided between Kongs, Tusks, Rocs, and Hogs, but there's no information on what these groups actually mean, and besides that, what the bosses even are or why they're being fought; for the enemies, I won't ask for a table that details everything like New Super Mario Bros. or Super Mario Bros. 2 (though I personally think it'd be a good idea to standardize it), but there are enemies listed like "large, black birds" and "a very large, piranha enemy" which seems needlessly vague; the barrels are given their own header on the kingdom section and everything, but I have absolutely no idea if these barrels simply launch the characters to the level, or if they physically transport them, or anything. My point is that, though you've certainly put a lot of time into the article, there's still some things that simply need to be fleshed out. Hello, I'm Time Turner.
- Well the enemies thing can be blamed on the fact that we don't have any actual names for them. But what exactly do you mean by "standardizing" it? Also, what exactly would you suggest for the bosses?
- As for the other lack of descriptions, I'll try and get on that.
- -Toa 95 (talk)
- If we don't have names for them, we give them conjectural names, which is certainly better than vague descriptions of their appearance. When I say "standardizing", I said that in reference to having tables for the enemies, which I think is a superb way of describing them for the purposes of the game articles and should be implemented for all articles, but I understand that it takes a lot of effort to organize those kind of things, which is why I don't actively push for them. For the bosses... I'm not exactly knowledgeable on Jungle Beat. The info currently there about the bosses seems rather bare, so go with what you think's best. Hello, I'm Time Turner.
- Yeah, don't know why I didn't think that... I'll try and make up something good for the names.
- As far as the bosses go, they're all basically the same. I'm thinking of adding bullet points or something before the table, or adding a descriptions section in the table or something...
- As for the barrels, though, they just serve to split up the levels on each screen. Scroll to level, choose level, start level (I can find a video if you need a better idea). I don't really know how to describe that...
- -Toa 95 (talk)
- Having a simple description in the table, even if it's just one line, would make all the difference. By the way, I'm not asking this because of quality standards or anything, I just sincerely want to know: you wrote that the Helper Monkeys assist Donkey Kong throughout the game, but... how exactly do they assist? Hello, I'm Time Turner.
- -Toa 95 (talk)
- They're mostly just around, though there are ones that sit up in these floating bushes that fling you higher, and they've also appeared basically as vines; there's a chain of them swinging back and forth and you can grab them and swing back and forth.
- Okay, I've at least started a table for the enemies. Clearly, though, I'm going to need to get some images . I also have no idea what to call this thing...
The formatting of the kingdoms table looks VERY wonky to me. It's very hard to tell which item belongs in this barrel for this. Maybe use different colors to differentiate? (T|C) 22:22, 25 October 2014 (EDT)
- So just change the table background colors for each item in each barrel, then? If that's the case then I can use the menu colors.
I think gameplay can be a tad formatted better. I'm not too fond of the current paragraph format. Any way to split it into subsections? Article is looking good, no doubt. Some tables just need to be better. I don't like the kingdoms table either particularly. It just seems pretty hard to read. KaBoom! 22:40, 25 October 2014 (EDT)
- Ah! What about a simple list of what each button does? And maybe split special moves into its own subsection... they're just suggestions though, feel free to develop them from there. KaBoom! 22:41, 25 October 2014 (EDT)
- I don't know... I don't feel like the traditional list would work with the bongo controls. But yeah, the controls could be a section.
Okay, I've put the enemies in a table (along with adding conjectural names for the (as far as we know) unnamed enemies and images), added some descriptions for some characters to elaborate on their roles, and (hopefully) improved the kingdoms table to (hopefully) make it easier to read. If anything else can be done or if anything can be done to improve what I've already gone and done, just say the word.
- Probably asking a bit much, but how about you focus on the enemies in the enemy table by cropping the screenshot? KaBoom! 19:22, 26 October 2014 (EDT)
- They're still visible, though I guess they could be a bit difficult to see... so I'll get on that.
- And that has been taken care of.