The 'Shroom:Issue 191/Issue 200: Open Call
Greetings out there to all 'Shroom readers, writers, and staff! This is a special announcement. Whether you're just tuning in, or have been accustomed to The 'Shroom for quite some time, this community project will be releasing its 200th issue this November. Considering that the paper was originally started way back in 2006, it's truly amazing to see how after all this time, it's still ongoing. To give some extra perspective, I remember when Issue 100 dropped, and that happened in 2015, a whole 8 years ago! As you might expect, we want to do everything we can to make Issue 200 as special as it can possibly be, but we can't do that without your help! So on behalf of The 'Shroom staff, I am personally inviting everyone out there to please consider contributing for Issue 200. It's actually quite simple, and I will get into more details as to how.
For those of you that may not be aware, we always are accepting new sections, of almost any kind! However, from now until around Issue 200 debuts, when you submit a section, you can specify that you want your piece to be featured in 200! You can find more details on our sign up page, but for your convenience, here's what we're looking for:
1.) Tell us the title of your section, and, if you have a specific placement in mind, if you'd like it to be a standalone special or to have it appear on a particular team page. (It's okay if you don't have a place in mind, we'll find the best place for you.)
2.) Clearly indicate that you want this section to be in issue 200.
3.) Acknowledge and agree to the policy that allows The 'Shroom's staff to turn down or remove your section if your actions reflect poorly on The 'Shroom, with these actions including extensive misbehavior in any part of the community.
4.) Include your full submission, written out, making sure it complies with our policies in the Manual of Style.
That's pretty much it! If you have all of this put together, you can send it to me on the forums! We want to make this process as convenient as possible for you, so if you have any questions, or lingering doubts, please reach out to us! I'm available on the forums, my user talk page, as well as on Discord if you'd like to ping me in the Super Mario Wiki Discord server. You can also find any of our other staff members through the contact us page, and they will be happy to assist you. If we accept your submission, we'll simply hold onto it for you, then it'll be featured in Issue 200! Sounds easy if you asked me.
Now then, if you were ever thinking "I would like to write something, but don't have any ideas", don't worry! You can find a detailed list of some example sections, and ideas on the aforementioned sign up page! Of course, we're always accepting 'Shroom sections for every issue, but we want to make sure that Issue 200 is as stacked as possible, so we'd love your contributions. There's plenty of well-written ideas there, but I will be outlining some suggestions, so you can get a bit of a jump-start for any brainstorming you might do:
- Are you a fan of parody and/or journalistic integrity? Fake News has all sorts of wacky shenanigans. Featuring many of the hot stories of a regular newspaper, but made up by you! Many of them feature the world of the Mushroom Kingdom, but that's not stopping you from submitting any other fictional news story you can come up with! If you have silly idea or a serious concept of this nature, please submit for Issue 200.
- Do you find yourself enjoying fun little activities and riddles? Well if you feel up to the task to making some of your own, you can send it our way to challenge readers to any sort of puzzle you can come up with. If you're in need of some inspiration, feel free to take a look at this issue's Fun Stuff to get the gears turning.
- Have you created a piece of artwork, or maybe wrote a personal side-story involving some of your favorite characters and worlds? Consider sharing that with the 'Shroom audience! We've had plenty of creative works submitted before such as in Palette Swap, and Issue 200 will be no exception.
- Are you somebody that loves going through various statistics? Maybe you dive into the history of a particular show, or maybe you want to provide information or advice for various real-world subjects. We're up for that too! Pipe Plaza will happily accept your submission. Of course, if you want to write about wiki-related matters, that works too. Issue 200 can feature all sorts of ideas!
- Have you just finished playing through a game, or watched a film, or absorbed another piece of media, and want to talk about it? Let us know! Perhaps you've just watched the greatest television series of all time, or marathoned a bunch of games in a certain JRPG franchise in a short amount of time. Perhaps even you sat through the worst two hours of something that dares to be categorized as a movie. Critic Corner has your back, and will absolutely be accepting any opinions you have to offer for Issue 200.
- Is there a video game out there that you just can't put down? Have you unlocked all of the secrets, learning all the ins-and-outs to each aspect? I certainly have a game like that, but if you do as well, then please grace The 'Shroom with your expert knowledge. From speedrunning strategies, to standard walkthroughs, to pointing out hidden Easter eggs, Strategy Wing covers it.
Of course, we can also feature submissions for Issue 200 as a standalone special, no matter what the subject might be, so bring us any magnum opus, or smaller samples you can come up with! I'll be looking forward to what everyone sends my way, so please write to me with your sections! I promise that I don't bite, and if you need any assistance, you're welcome to reach out. That's pretty much all I have to say here, so happy writing!
— Meta Knight, Statistics Manager
|The 'Shroom: Issue 191
|Staff Notes • The 'Shroom Spotlight • Issue 200: Open Call
|Fake News • Fun Stuff • Palette Swap • Pipe Plaza • Critic Corner • Strategy Wing