MarioWiki:Main Page talk archive 3
Welcome to Main Page talk. This is where technical issues go. For all general questions, please visit the FAQ.
A lil' something
Can we have the Categories link in the Toolbox?
- Yoshi Master
Sorry about the downtime, everyone. Please update your bookmarks with the new URL for wiki pages (e.g. http://www.mariowiki.com/index.php/Main_Page -> http://www.mariowiki.com/Main_Page). --Steve (talk) 16:21, 21 November 2006 (EST)
- For the record, the /index.php/ will still appear when editing a page and such (if you're adding to this section, look up at your address bar!). But hooray, the wiki & I are back! Wa TC@Y 16:27, 21 November 2006 (EST)
- Hooray! Not much difference thought...but cool! Paper Jorge ( Need to tell me something? Go to my talk page.·Contributions·) 17:05, 21 November 2006 (EST)
I was a-wondrin' about that. Well, water under the bridge. It's good to be back. Phoenix Rider 17:17, 21 November 2006 (EST)
Search Engines Too Specific
Since everybody seems to be in a bad mood from bad programing, I thought I'd throw in my two cents. When typing in a page to search you have to type in the exact name of the page your looking for to get it shown. Otherwise the search brings up totally unrelated pages. Is it possible to set it broader or something?
- Yoshi Mastar
The Forum Not Working?
The forum seems to not be working for me. It's not my computer, it also happens to Knife's computer. Is the forum down? Paper Jorge ( Need to tell me something? Go to my talk page.·Contributions·) 22:53, 7 November 2006 (EST)
They pay me to ask questions. Paper Jorge ( Need to tell me something? Go to my talk page.·Contributions·) 23:08, 7 November 2006 (EST)
- It's likely maintenance for the wiki alliance. Trust me, I can't wait to see what's going on either. ;) Wa TC@Y 23:27, 7 November 2006 (EST)
- It actually has nothing to do with that. It has nothing to do with the forum. But the forum will eventually be changed to fit the alliance. This instance is just a very non-exciting thing that won't really effect anyone in any way. --Steve (talk) 23:32, 7 November 2006 (EST)
- So it's just a software update? Wa TC@Y 23:35, 7 November 2006 (EST)
- What did I say about asking questions? --Steve (talk) 23:39, 7 November 2006 (EST)
- They pay us to ask questions!23:39, 7 November 2006 (EST)
- Hey. I just want to know what's the reason behind the downtime if it's not for the wiki alliance. You shouldn't deny the answer to that question. :| Wa TC@Y 23:40, 7 November 2006 (EST)
How would people feel if I added one more template to the page, Collaborations, to the Pipe Plaza? Each week (or another time period), a new article(s) would appear. This/those article(s), for the week(s) they are up, would be asked by users to improve upon the article so it is similar to an exemplar article (like Yoshi). I left it out for the opening because I want to see if users think that it would be helpful...so speak your thoughts. Wa TC@Y 16:26, 28 October 2006 (EDT)
In cases where images are in an article, sometimes templates get squished off to the side. I think it would look nicer if the templates were at the bottom of the page and not squished off to the side. Put the minimum number of breaks between the main body and the template in order for the template to be at the bottom, under the image. Monty Mole (Talk·Contribs) 19:44, 16 October 2006 (EDT)
Use it when uploading files. This page explains what option should be used for what. --Steve (talk) 23:27, 7 October 2006 (EDT)
Four New Sysops!
For those not digging deep into the recent changes, due to some inactivity of some of our old sysops, four new ones have been assigned based on contributions and being helpful in general, and activeness, among other things:
- Paper Jorge (talk)
- Spike (talk)
- Monty Mole (talk)
- Sir Grodus (talk)
Congratulations and keep up the good work! If you were not chosen now, remember that sysops are the same as contributors, except they have extra abilities to keep the wiki clean from vandalism and such. Sysops are not superior to other users contributing-wise, and you shouldn't let such an issue ruin your experience on the wiki. For the new sysops, I've spoken to a couple of you already about some questions you have, but if there's anything confusing about the new features, add it here. :) Wayoshi ( T·C·@ ) 19:25, 3 October 2006 (EDT)
I guess congrats are in order. At least I've seen them around... But, maybe it's just me, but I can't name five constant contributors that aren't sysops...<_< I'm not suggesting anything though.--Sml007.5 20:51, 3 October 2006 (EDT)
Wow... (Question on Image Policy)
Gone three days and I find a ton of new templates & finally some written policies about blocking, deleting and even sigs and color codes (Steve should have sastified what you wanted, WF99). One question: is the new image policy, 28 templates & personal image use policy in place because the wiki is getting bigger and copyright issues may come up? Wayoshi ( T·C·@ ) 19:14, 9 October 2006 (EDT)
- I really just wanted to standardize some things, but for the most part, yes. I don't think copyright issues would have come up but including license information with all the images is really the proper thing to do. --Steve (talk) 19:35, 9 October 2006 (EDT)
I was thinking we should put a warning on the front page indicating that this wiki contains spoilers. I also think we should make a new spoiler template to place on the top of articles with spoilers from recently released games. -- Son of Suns
Good idea. That's nice. HK-47 w4z h3R3 at 16:59, 11 October 2006 (EDT)
Spoiler template for select articles, okay, but I don't see it necessary to include a warning on the main page. --Steve (talk) 17:33, 11 October 2006 (EDT)
This was mentioned briefly at MarioWiki:Personal images and so I researched what the main base, Wikipedia, does for these awards. Basically, custom-made images (often stars) are "handed" (added) to user pages, with the name of the hander/awarder. Some users even have a subpage at Special:Mypage/Awards with a gallery of these. See here for more. While 100 awards is way too much for this wiki, I think occasional (once or twice a month) recognition for good contributions (possibly in certain fields), uploading, etc is a good idea (10?). Thoughts? Wayoshi ( T·C·@ ) 22:53, 11 October 2006 (EDT)
We're about 30 away as of right now. And we just hit 2,000 less than two months ago. --Steve (talk) 16:07, 22 October 2006 (EDT)
Awesome! I'll make a lot of articles today so we can get 3,000 articles today. Paper Jorge ( Need to tell me something? Go to my talk page.·Contributions·) 16:10, 22 October 2006 (EDT)
So, on the one hand, this means that the Wiki is growing quickly. But on the other, it could mean that the articles aren't as high-quality as possible. Thoughts? Bear in mind I said "could". Monty Mole (Talk·Contribs) 16:13, 22 October 2006 (EDT)
It's all good. At least when the articles have a base they can easily be elaborated on. --Steve (talk) 16:30, 22 October 2006 (EDT)
Congrats guys, keep it going! Wayoshi TC@ 22:14, 23 October 2006 (EDT)
Hey, we have 3,000 Pages! Wow! Everyone-good job! Paper Jorge ( Need to tell me something? Go to my talk page.·Contributions·) 22:39, 23 October 2006 (EDT)
Yeah, good job. I probably should have mentioned this in the first place.
Curse my pessimism. Monty Mole (Talk·Contribs) 18:20, 26 October 2006 (EDT)
That Notice Thing
Yo, why can't we talk about that kind of stuff here? I think it's the most common place for people to look. The Pipe Plaza talk page can talk about specific Pipe Plaza stuff. --Steve (talk) 20:27, 26 October 2006 (EDT)
- That's true, and that's why I pledge to link to the Plaza talk page from here. However, the Pipe Plaza is supposed to be a single community portal page: in the normal page is the latest news, projects, and help links, on the talk page is questions in general, like it is here. Why have the normal page at MarioWiki:Pipe Plaza and the talk page at Talk:Main Page, two different namespaces? Unless everyone wants to make the main page a Pipe Plaza itself (it would be called main page), so that the main page looks more interesting. Let's keep the main and talk pages for this project in adjacent pages, and people would get used to MarioWiki talk:Pipe Plaza (remember, it is to be linked in the sidebar, so it's two clicks from anywhere on the wiki). Wayoshi TC@ 22:33, 26 October 2006 (EDT)
Apologies in Advance
On behalf of the Super Mario Wiki, I would like to apologize in advance for some technical issues that arose tonight out of the blue. On every page but the main page, for two hours, this error was showing up:
A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was: (SQL query hidden) from within function "MediaWikiBagOStuff::_doquery". MySQL returned error "1016: Can't open file: 'objectcache.MYI' (errno: 145) (localhost)".
We are not sure what caused this error, whether it was MediaWiki or another happening. The forum was working perfectly during this time. Now, after Steve mostly fixed the wiki issue, the forum is messed up – the forum claims that you have posted recently whenever you try to post, make an edit to a post, or send a PM, making you a spectator. In addition, forums & threads won't become read and the users online is frozen. There is also a minor problem here – whenever making an edit of your own, you may need to hard refresh (Ctrl + Refresh (F5)) to see your changes, instead of it showing up right away.
Again, I apologize in behalf of the wiki for the unforeseen. Hopefully things will be fixed within the next 24 hours. Thanks for reading.
Wayoshi TC@ 23:05, 26 October 2006 (EDT)
- The wiki should be fully fixed now. The forum will fix itself in a few hours from now. --Steve (talk) 08:09, 27 October 2006 (EDT)
3000 Files Uploaded
The image to the left was the 3000th file to be uploaded to the wiki! Like articles, 2000 wasn't long ago. Special thanks to 3dejong (talk) for heavily contributing to the file upload count. Wa TC@Y 16:35, 28 October 2006 (EDT)
Not to mention that â€Žis the first image uploaded on MarioWiki. – Spike
100,000 Main Page Views
I just realized that we're getting close. --Steve (talk) 22:40, 28 October 2006 (EDT)
- Obviously, the main page is the most seen page. For the Top Ten, see Special:Statistics (Mario's only 6th!).
Wa TC@Y 14:53, 29 October 2006 (EST)
Yeah we are. --Steve (talk) 00:07, 3 November 2006 (EST)
It is very unlikely that I will be able to be on this weekend, Nov. 17-19. As you may or may not know, the 19th is my birthday, and I'll be busy with the party nd everything. And camping out for the Wii, of course. Just a heads-up. Phoenix Rider 17:22, 16 November 2006 (EST)
You're going to camp out for the Wii? Ok. Hope you get it...before me =(. Anyway, we will all miss you. Paper Jorge ( Need to tell me something? Go to my talk page.·Contributions·) 17:25, 16 November 2006 (EST)
Yeah, me too. Hope you get one! I'm asking for one on my bithday, April 4th. :( That;s a long wait! Lucky you, Monty! 3dejong
Shigeru Miyamoto's Birthday
Today is Shigeru Miyamoto's Birthday! Like anyone cares. Paper Jorge ( Need to tell me something? Go to my talk page.·Contributions·) 17:25, 16 November 2006 (EST)
WOW! I do! :) 3dejong
He's 54 today =0! Paper Jorge ( Need to tell me something? Go to my talk page.·Contributions·) 17:43, 16 November 2006 (EST)
- Wow! Over the hill! (kinda) ;) After all these years, he can still make a cool game, too. 3dejong
Hey! What's with that SMBHQ link on the sidebar. SMBHQ is a fan site. Should we have that prominent link on the side for a non-canon site? -- Son of Suns
- It's not that bad. If someone just wants Mario fun, not a reference encyclopedia, he'll know where to go. 3dejong
- The problem is if we include one fan site, we have to include all of them. Why aren't there links for The Mushroom Kingdom or the Mario Monsters websites? -- Son of Suns
At WikiIndex, there's an article for Wario wiki. It looks 404'd. Does it have a new URL, or doesn't it exist? Caps Lock LORD | 13:31, 4 December 2006 (EST)