Mario in Real Time
Mario in Real Time (also known as MIRT) is an interactive system that was introduced around 1992, and has since been used by Nintendo in various trade fairs. Thought up by Minoru Arakawa, MIRT is notable for crediting Charles Martinet as Mario's voice (prior to his video game debut in Mario's FUNdamentals).
MIRT displays Mario on a screen, through which he can talk to those attending the trade fair. Charles Martinet himself (with substitute Stevie Coyle) works the device, standing out of view and reciting Mario's lines, which are instantly reiterated by the hero. Martinet also provides Mario's movement through sensors courtesy of Simgraphics Engineering, who developed the VActor technology on which MIRT works. (Mario sound effects and various impossible movements are also available to Martinet.) Although Martinet is hidden from the audience, he can see and hear them through a hidden camera and microphone. In addition to trade shows, an early Mario in Real Time was used to animate Mario's face in Mario Teaches Typing and its sequel.
Martinet occasionally voices an off-screen Luigi (as well as Mama and Papa) in MIRT; this is also how Luigi's current voice originated. A Wario in Real Time (WIRT) and Donkey Kong in Real Time (DKIRT) also exist. The former was used at the Winter CES 1994 while the latter was present at the 1994 VDSA expo. A more advanced version of MIRT software appeared at San Diego Comic-Con 2012 and the Nintendo World Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon launch event in New York in 2013. The former featured Martinet (as Mario) answering questions from fans, while the latter involved Luigi welcoming fans to the Dark Moon launch event.
- DigitalNeohuman (April 23, 2010). Real Time Mario at the 1992 SCES. YouTube. Retrieved April 19, 2013.
- n8phin (June 10, 2006). Mario's movie impressions at E3. YouTube. Archived from the original on November 4, 2007 via Wayback Machine.
- August 2, 2001. The Voice of Mario. GameSpy. Archived from the original on December 14, 2004 via Wayback Machine.
- jexora (April 10, 2008). 1994 Winter CES 6/6. YouTube. Retrieved August 8, 2011.
- Toad.T (November 25, 2013). Donkey Kong hits on mid 90's chicks at the '94 VSDA expo. Featuring DIRT! (Donkey kong In Real Time). YouTube. Retrieved November 26, 2013.
- Patrick Scott Patterson (July 16, 2012). Mario reveals his last name & other tales - San Diego Comic Con 2012. YouTube. Retrieved May 8, 2016.
- CubedLink (March 27, 2013). Luigi's welcome at the 'Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon' Nintendo World launch. YouTube. Retrieved May 8, 2016.