From the Super Mario Wiki
Official logo of the Year of Luigi
The Year of Luigi was a special event held in 2013 and continued in 2014 in commemoration of the 30th anniversary of Luigi's debut in Mario Bros. which was first released on July 14th, 1983. Therefore, released during the event were several games, collectibles, and downloadable content with Luigi as the main focus. The Year of Luigi was originally announced during the February 2013 Nintendo Direct, and in early December, Reggie Fils-Aime stated that it would continue into 2014, which was confirmed by Satoru Iwata in the Nintendo Direct on December 18, 2013. As announced by Shigeru Miyamoto on February 18, 2014, the Year of Luigi officially ended on March 18, 2014..
Console special editions
- A Luigi-themed Nintendo 3DS XL with Mario & Luigi: Dream Team pre-installed on the 4GB SD card. (Available for retail in Japan and North America, and exclusively via Nintendo's official online store in the United Kingdom.)
The Luigi-themed Nintendo 3DS XL
The North American Special Edition Nintendo 3DS XL
- Japan Club Nintendo members can get a copy of The Year of Luigi Sound Selection. It contains 30 songs from Luigi's Mansion to Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. It costs 400 points, but members who have purchased and registered any Year of Luigi games can get the CD for only 200 points.
- Exclusive merchandise is available in Japan.
- US and Canada Club Nintendo members who purchased the New Super Luigi U DLC from the Nintendo eShop by August 1, 2013 and completed the surveys within four weeks after downloading had a chance to win 1 of 980 Luigi pins.
- A Year of Luigi coin was made available with a small green bag for 1500 and 1250 stars in the European and Australian Club Nintendo websites, respectively.
- A Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon diorama is available on the American Club Nintendo site for 1500 coins, and the European Club Nintendo for 7000 Stars.
- A Year of Luigi poster as part of a three poster set as an optional Platinum reward for Club Nintendo members who ranked the status by July 2013.
- A Luigi Nendoroid tying in with the Year of Luigi, was released in July 2014.
The Year of Luigi Sound Selection
The promotional Luigi pin
Special elements to applications
- Five drawing competitions in Miiverse about five topics related to Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, the drawings were chosen by MariChan, who is in charge of the Luigi communities.
- A New Super Luigi U scrapbook, with screenshots of Miiverse, the screenshots being chosen by MariChan.
- Four Miiverse communities open only during the event:
- A general community for the Year of Luigi.
- A Developer's Room dedicated to the Year of Luigi.
- One for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.
- One for Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.
- Six people from Nintendo wore dark green clothes and Luigi's Cap on their Miis in StreetPass Mii Plaza for the event:
- A new Year of Luigi stationary has been released for Swapnote.
- Two people from Nintendo have sent notes on Swapnote about the Year of Luigi.
- The Wii U Summer Tour, which brought Wii U and Nintendo 3DS booths to major US cities for a limited time, featured Year of Luigi games.
- Every level in New Super Luigi U features Luigi sightings, as do most levels in Super Mario 3D World and some challenges in NES Remix 2. An 8-bit Luigi sprite can also be seen behind a signpost in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker's overview trailer.
- A short video was created by Nintendo of America called Finding Luigi - Legend of Parkour.
- One of Chicago's Brown Line L-Trains was decorated for one day to promote New Super Luigi U and the Year of Luigi.
- In the Mario Kart 8 Nintendo Direct, when Luigi loses a race one of the announcers comments that "the Year of Luigi truly is over."
- Luigi's trophy in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS mentions how the attention from the Year of Luigi has made him "even more shy and awkward." In Super Smash Bros. For Wii U, during the conversation about Luigi during Palutena's Guidance, (Pit's down taunt that can be performed in Palutena's Temple), Pit mentions that "he even had his own year".
- For this subject's image gallery, see Gallery:Year of Luigi.
| The Year of Luigi - Promotional recording of Luigi, released by Nintendo of America.||1:47|
- Having trouble playing?
Name in other languages
Ruīji no Toshi
||Año de Luigi
||Année de Luigi
||Jaar van Luigi
||Jahr des Luigi
||Anno di Luigi
||Ano de Luigi
Ruiji ui Hae
- The logo is similar to that of the logo used for the 25th anniversary of Super Mario Bros.
- ^ Nintendo Direct 2.14.2013 YouTube. (Retrieved February 20, 2014)
- ^ Nintendo Direct 12.18.2013 YouTube. (Retrieved February 6, 2014)
- ^ Miyamoto's Miiverse post announcing the end of the Year of Luigi (Retrieved February 20, 2014)
- ^ http://alwaysnintendo.com/miyamoto-year-luigi-will-end-march-18th-2014/
- ^ http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/hardware/pack/aymj/index.html
- ^ http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/Y7YJaDR7E02V1E7LRgy1E574BZwchQ7t
- ^ http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/11/go_green_with_the_luigi_special_edition_3ds_xl_available_in_the_uk_today
- ^ http://www.nintendo.co.jp/luigi/sound/
- ^ http://www.nintendo.co.jp/luigi/goods/
- ^ http://club2.nintendo.com/new-super-luigi-u-promo/
- ^ http://mynintendonews.com/2013/10/18/special-year-of-luigi-coin-on-european-club-nintendo/
- ^ This Year of Luigi Diorama Brings a Dark Moon to Club Nintendo
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ http://www.nintendo.co.jp/luigi/gallery/first.html#Navi
- ^ http://www.nintendo.co.jp/luigi/album/album1.html
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPbZO7xRq9c
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wplnqlqUD4
- ^ Chicago L Train Transformed to Celebrate The Year of Luigi. Nintendo Life (August 13, 2014). Retrieved October 25, 2014.