This article is about the box from Super Mario 3D Land
. For information about the item from Super Paper Mario
with the same name, see here
| Mystery Box
| A purple, transparent box with a question mark on the middle.
||Super Mario 3D Land (2011)
Mystery Boxes are boxes Mario can access in Super Mario 3D Land. They are found in most Worlds of the game, with their primary task being to defeat all the enemies in the box within ten seconds. Enemies can range from Goombas to Boom Booms. When Mario completes the task, Coins and a Star Medal appear. Other items, such as 1-Up Mushrooms, Super Leaves and Fire Flowers are also found within Mystery Boxes. However, if Mario loses a life in a Mystery Box, he will be forced to quit the level. Whenever the player encounters a Mystery Box on the world map, he or she is required to enter it before moving on. The Mystery Box theme sounds like the "Endless Stairs" theme from Super Mario 64.
A golden Mystery Box. Note that there are two Star Medals and even a P-Wing.
Mystery Boxes can also be golden on the inside, while still appearing purple on the outside. All of the golden-sided Mystery Boxes contain two Star Medals, and at least three 1-Up Mushrooms, with some containing as many as eight. No golden-sided Mystery Boxes contain enemies, and as such, Star Medals appear immediately upon entering a box. They can contain many different things, such as Poison Mushrooms, Toads, or even P-Wings.
There are a total of 20 unique normal Mystery Box contents and 15 unique golden-sided Mystery Boxes contents. Golden-sided Mystery Boxes are less likely to appear than normal ones. Each normal Mystery Box can be found in two different Worlds, while each golden-sided one can only be found in a single World.
After completing a Mystery Box, it turns gray on the Overworld Map, "falls asleep", and becomes inaccessible. It may be accessed again 20 hours later. The contents of each Mystery Box changes each time it is re-entered.
Mystery Boxes can also be accessed via StreetPass (a wireless feature that automatically exchanges infomation with other 3DS holders while the system is in sleep mode). The only difference in a StreetPass Mystery Box is that it is guaranteed to have a Star Medal or two, unless of course all Star Medals have been collected.
Mystery Boxes also can appear in some levels, which the goal is to collect as many coins from the blocks within the time limit.
 List of Mystery Box contents
- Three Question Blocks, two of which contain a single Coin, the other of which continues to produce coins as long as time remainson the Box's timer. Found in World 1-3.
- Three long Question Blocks containing two Coins and a Super Leaf, a single set of three Coins, and multiple sets of three Coins respectively. Found in World 1-4.
- Three Roulette Blocks. A yellow Toad will also be found here and will give a 1-Up Mushroom if the player watched his entrance into the hidden Box through a pair of Binoculars. Found in World 6-1.
- Three Coin throwing Rocky Wrenches and a Star Medal. Found in World 8-5.
 World Map Mystery Boxes
Defeating every enemy in a Box will cause 15 Coins and a Star Medal to appear.
- Three Piranha Plants. Found in World 1 and World 6
- Three Goombas. Found in World 1 and Special 1.
- A red Biddybud walking around a Fire Flower. Found in World 1 and Special 3.
- A Fire Flower, a Goomba Tower, two Goombas high, and a Venus Fire Trap. Found in World 2 and Special 3.
- Two Tail Goombas and a Piranha Plant. Found in World 4 and Special 5.
- A Goomba and a Piranha Plant. Found in World 4 and Special 5.
- A yellow, green, and red Biddybud, a Fire Flower, and a Super Mushroom. Found in World 6 and Special 7.
- Two Venus Fire Traps and a Fire Flower. Found in World 2.
- Two Tail Goombas and a Super Leaf. Found in World 2.
- A Biddybud of each of the species's five colors walking in a circle. Found in World 2.
- Two Goomba Towers, two Goombas high each. Found in World 6.
- A Hammer Bro. and a Boomerang Flower. Found in Special 1.
- A Goomba and a Super Leaf. Found in Special 1.
- A Boomerang Bro. and a Boomerang Flower. Found in Special 3.
- A Hammer Bro. and a Boomerang Bro.. Found in Special 5.
- A Hammer Bro., a Boomerang Bro., and a Boomerang Flower. Found in Special 7.
- Three Venus Fire Traps. Found in Special 7.
- Boom Boom requiring only one hit to defeat. Found in Special 7
- Two Goomba Towers, two Goombas high each, and a Fire Flower.
 Golden Mystery Boxes
In addition to the features listed here, each Box contains two Star Medals.
- 15 Super Leaves and a P-Wing. Found in World 1.
- The game's five supporting Toad characters. Found in World 1.
- Nine Goomba Signs, five of which contain 1-Up Mushrooms and the others, Coins, and a Fire Flower. Found in World 2.
- 10 Crates, 4 of which contain 1-Up Mushrooms, and two Question Blocks containing a Super Leaf and a Fire Flower respectively. Found in World 4.
- 12 cacti, four of which contain 1-Up Mushrooms, and a Boomerang Flower. Found in World 6.
- Seven white dandelions, four yellow dandelions containing 1-Up Mushrooms, and a Question Block containing a Super Leaf. Found in World 6.
- Four P-Switches pressing each of which causes a 1-Up Mushroom to appear. Found in World 6.
- Seven 1-Up Mushroom Signs, four of which contain real 1-Up Mushrooms, a fifth 1-Up Mushroom, and a Question Block containing a Fire Flower. Found in Special 1.
- Six 1-Up Mushrooms and six Poison Mushrooms. Found in Special 5.
- 12 Question Blocks containing Coins and four invisible Question Blocks containing 1-Up Mushrooms. Found in Special 5.
- Three Question Blocks containing 1-Up Mushrooms and a Question Box. Found in Special 7.
- Four unlit torches and a Fire Flower. Lighting the torches causes four 1-Up Mushrooms to appear. Found in Special 7.
- 1-Up Mushrooms. Found in Special 1.
- Flowers, some of which contain 1-Up Mushrooms. Found in Special 3.
- Plants, some of which contain 1-Up Mushrooms. Found in Special 7.