A vehicle counterpart is a vehicle that has similar stats to another vehicle. The concept of vehicle counterparts first appears in Mario Kart Wii, where the thirty-six vehicles come in seven sets regarding their strong, average, and weak stats, of which the drift/Mini-Turbo and off-road sets are further divided into two groups.
Vehicle counterparts come in three different types: kart/bike counterparts, size class counterparts, and group counterparts.
- Kart/bike counterpart: A kart/bike counterpart is a counterpart within the same group and size class. This is the most common type of counterpart, with the Blue Falcon, Jet Bubble, Classic Dragster, Zip Zip, Piranha Prowler, and Phantom being the only six vehicles without a direct kart/bike counterpart. An example of a kart/bike counterpart pair is the Flame Flyer/Flame Runner pair.
- Size class counterpart: A size class counterpart is a counterpart from a different size class, whether direct or indirect. An example of a size class counterpart trio is the Blue Falcon/Sprinter/Jetsetter trio.
- Group counterpart: A group counterpart is a counterpart from a different group regardless of whether the collection of vehicles is in the same size class. An example of a group counterpart pair is the Dolphin Dasher/Phantom pair.
- Standard Karts S, M, and L
- Standard Bikes S, M, and L
- Booster Seat, Daytripper, and Offroader
- Bit Bike, Sugarscoot, and Wario Bike
- Mini Beast, Wild Wing, Flame Flyer
- Bullet Bike, Mach Bike, and Flame Runner
- Tiny Titan and Super Blooper
- Magikruiser and Dolphin Dasher
- Zip Zip and Phantom
- Blue Falcon, Sprinter, and Jetsetter
- Sneakster and Spear
- Cheep Charger and Classic Dragster
- Jet Bubble and Piranha Prowler (indirect)
- Flame Flyer and Honeycoupe
- Flame Runner and Shooting Star
- Magikruiser and Zip Zip
- Dolphin Dasher and Phantom
The standard set consists of vehicles wherein each stat is usually in the middle of the vehicle that does worse in said stat and the one that does best. Below are the vehicles that make up this set.
Standard Kart S
Standard Bike S
Standard Kart M
Standard Bike M
Standard Kart L
Standard Bike L
The handling set consists of vehicles that have good values in handling (their main strength), acceleration, off-road, and Mini-Turbo.
However, they have low drift and very low speed; the latter is their main weakness. Below are the vehicles that make up this set.
The drift/Mini-Turbo set consists of vehicles that have good speed, and very good drift and Mini-Turbo (their main strengths).
However, they do poorly on every other stat (not counting weight), with acceleration being their main weakness. Below are the vehicles that make up the main group of this set.
There is a second group that is slightly slower but does slightly better in every other stat (not counting weight). Below are the vehicles that make up this group.
The off-road set consists of vehicles that have above average speed, good acceleration and handling, and excellent off-road (their main strength, with all of these being able to drift in most off-road parts).
However, they have very low drift (their main weakness) and below average Mini-Turbo. Below are the vehicles that make up the main group of this set.
There is a second group that is slightly slower and has worse drift but does slightly better in every other stat (not counting weight). Below are the vehicles that make up this group.
The speed set consists of vehicles that have excellent speed (their main strength), usually being the fastest out of all sets. However, they do very poorly everywhere else, being the weakest overall in terms of stats. They have low acceleration and below average drifting, and their main weaknesses are handling, off-road, and Mini-Turbo.
Compared to the drift/Mini-Turbo set, the speed set actually accelerates faster overall. Below are the vehicles that make up this set.
The acceleration set consists of vehicles that have very good values on almost every stat, being the strongest overall in terms of stats. They have very good handling and drift as well as good off-road and mini-turbo, and their main strength is acceleration. However, they have low speed.
However, compared to the handling set, the acceleration set has slightly better speed, better acceleration, and significantly better drift. Inversely, it has slightly worse handling, off-road, and Mini-Turbo. Below are the vehicles that make up this set.
The weight set consists of vehicles that have decent speed, in addition to average acceleration, handling, drift, and off-road. However, they have low Mini-Turbo.
Despite having rather unclear weaknesses and strengths, there is something these vehicles have in common that actually exceeds other vehicles of the same size class; both are the heaviest vehicles of their vehicle and size classes.
Compared to the drift/Mini-Turbo set, the weight set is slower and has worse drift and Mini-Turbo. However, it has better acceleration, handling, and off-road. Similarly, comparing it to the speed set reveals that it is slower, but does better in every other stat, especially handling. Below are the vehicles that make up this set.