Talk:The Old Psychic Lady
Is there any way to reduce the title size? Even on a 1680 X 1050 display, it goes to the next line. Maybe a redirect is in order, just for convenience. Or, at least, redirects to this page are needed. Wa TC@ 15:43, 9 February 2009 (EST)
- We could call her TOPLwtEEWRFaKEBiH for short. Just kidding, I think "The Old Psychic Lady" would be a good abbreviation. I'm pretty sure that the characters in the episode also call her by some abbreviations considernig it's such a long name. - Cobold (talk · contribs) 17:00, 9 February 2009 (EST)
- But still, in the episode Mario and/or Luigi must have just used "Old Psychic Lady" or something similar. Wa TC@ 17:55, 9 February 2009 (EST)
- I just would like to note that when I load the page, the title text literally overlaps the entire first paragraph of the article. On this talk page, I had to click 'edit' to see everyone's comments because of the exact same reason. If there's any way to move the article to "The Old Psychic Lady" or something, I would definitely support that. — Stooben Rooben 18:19, 9 February 2009 (EST)
Move The Old Pyschic Lady to its full name
|This talk page proposal has already been settled. Please do not edit any of the sections in the proposal. If you wish to discuss the article, do so in a new header below the proposal.|
keep current name 1-8
I will try to be brief: many years ago, the name of this page was shortened because it was an "eyesore." Look, I fully understand the effort, but seriously, changing an official name to an un-official one is just unprofessional. Yes, the full name does take up two lines, but it's not worth breaking fundamental MarioWiki rules just to make it look better. Yes, no one wants to type such a long article name, but that's what redirects are for.
- Walkazo (talk) - It's a stupidly long gag name: insisting the rules must apply to this with no exception allowed for common sense is too rigid and will lead to cluttered templates, lists and more, not to mention the two-lined title here. Plus, unless there's subtitles capitalizing the name (since the credits don't have anything), who's to say it wasn't just a statement: the lady says the "title" once but could have just been stating what she is not who she is, and is referred to by the bros once each as "crazy lady", "old lady with the evil eye" and "psycho lady" (episode's here). In all fairness, it's basically a "no-name given" situation, and taking the first little bit of the long title seems like a fine way to deal with it: not pure conjecture, and nice and illustrative without going overboard.
- LudwigVon (talk) Per Walkazo. It would be like rename the article of Yoshi to he's suppose real name "T. Yoshisaur Munchakoopas". I think it would be totally disgusting. Also per Time Turner's comment below.
- Bazooka Mario (talk) Per all. Concision beats the rules this time. I'd like to argue that shortening the long name is not unprofessional, but reasonable, and keeping it to the name so long that circumvents this world simply because it adheres to Da Rulez is the unprofessional measure there.
- Lumastar (talk) Per all. Should we also rename Bowser "King Bowser Koopa" or Ganondorf be called "Ganondorf Dragmire?" You don't have to always use a character's full title as the name of their article, and as Walkazo said her name is not very clear. Also, it would be a ridiculously long title for an article as others have pointed out.
- Bwburke94 (talk) Per all. The article is at its shortened title due to technical restrictions.
- Magikrazy (talk) Per Walkazo. I fail to see how this name makes anything worse like you say.
- Lemon Meringue (talk) Per everyone.
- Yoshi876 (talk) Per all.
It's not as if we constantly call Bowser "King Bowser Koopa". While that may be his full name, he is more commonly referred to as Bowser, so the wiki goes with that. Same deal here: her full name might be "The Old Psychic Lady with the yaddayaddayada", but she's referred to more often than not as simply "The Old Psychic Lady". I don't see why the wiki should deviate from the standard. Hello, I'm Time Turner.
Nintendo currently calls Bowser, well, Bowser, as seen on boxarts, manuals, websites, in-game, etc. Here, we use the most recent name, so Bowser is still Bowser. If Nintendo began calling Bowser "King Bowser Koopa" within its media again, I'm sure the Bowser page would be renamed in no time. --Andymii (talk) 23:43, 12 July 2015 (EDT)
I'd like to point to this article on Wikipedia. A man with an incredibly long name, and whose name was shortened for asthetics. Are you saying we should rename this article to Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvin John Kenneth Lloyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Sherman Thomas Uncas Victor William Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorffwelchevoralternwarengewissenhaftschaferswessenschafewarenwohlgepflegeundsorgfaltigkeitbeschutzenvorangreifendurchihrraubgierigfeindewelchevoralternzwolfhunderttausendjahresvorandieerscheinenvonderersteerdemenschderraumschiffgenachtmittungsteinundsiebeniridiumelektrischmotorsgebrauchlichtalsseinursprungvonkraftgestartseinlangefahrthinzwischensternartigraumaufdersuchennachbarschaftdersternwelchegehabtbewohnbarplanetenkreisedrehensichundwohinderneuerassevonverstandigmenschlichkeitkonntefortpflanzenundsicherfreuenanlebenslanglichfreudeundruhemitnichteinfurchtvorangreifenvorandererintelligentgeschopfsvonhinzwischensternartigraum, Senior just so there can be set in stone consistency? Magikrazy (talk)
Hmm. I've seen everyone's arguments, most of which make sense. However, I'd like to say, names can't randomly be shortened. TOPLWTEEWRFAKEBIH (The Old Psychic Lady) could just as easily be shortened to "The Old Psychic Lady Who Reads Fortunes" or "The Old Psychic." Why is it that it is what it currently is? --Andymii (talk) 18:16, 16 July 2015 (EDT)
- Because, how I see the actual name, it make it clear and reasonable, because It refers all the aspects of the character, if we name it "The Old Psychic Lady Who Reads Fortunes" make it long and I think that "Psychic" make think of the fact that she's a weird character with some strange powers and if we name it "The Old Psychic" it can refer to both a male character or a female character. So, the actual name is more clear and make the most cense in my opinion.--(TALK) 18:47, 16 July 2015 (EDT)