MarioWiki:Main Page Talk Archive 7
Welcome to the Main Page Talk. This is where technical issues go. For all general questions, please visit the FAQ.
As you know, we have a couple of pages for quotes (Mario (quotes), Bowser (quotes), and Luigi (quotes)). I really don't think we need quote pages for those characters. Might as well make one for every character. And quotes are tricky. Quotes can be pretty much anything the character says from "Mama-mia" to "Mario, we gotta rescue the princess!". It would be better if we just pick five or ten of the character's best quotes and add them to a section in that charater's article. Anyone agree?Knife (talk) 23:22, 21 March 2007 (EDT)
Yeah.-- Aipom --
Or we could have no quotes, hows that sound? *nervous face* Anyways, I think the reason that Bowser got his quotes page was because it clogged up his already somewhat cluttered page. Mario and Luigi kinda just followed... -- Sir Grodus
- I'm neutral on this. I don't mind either way. --KPH2293 16:11, 22 March 2007 (EDT)
The Bowser page is long, but that's still no reason why it shouldn't follow. Like I said before, it would be best if we just pick out 5 or 10 quotes that best represent the character. That's the whole point of having quotes. There are a lot of quotes that can be added, but there's no point if it doesn't help us know that character.
If we've gotten that out of the way, how many quotes should we have on each character page? I say 10 is a good amount of quotes to add. And after thats decided, what quotes should we pick to keep?Knife (talk) 17:47, 22 March 2007 (EDT)
Just keep the one's that are the most common, like "Mama Mia"-- Aipom --
I agree with having some of the most famous quotes on all the main characters' pages. But, I think 10 is a few too many. Perhaps 5 is a good number; our Mushroom Kingdom friends aren't all about talk, remember. ;)
~ Luigi hc
My Personal opinion is that we should have a big collective page of the most famous quotes on one page; however, the small, not so famous ones can remain on the character's page. How's that? Super Mario 256 23:17, 23 March 2007 (EDT)
Yes, the link's still red. Suddenly school has become very busy for me, and all the free time I have I am taking care of immediate issues here on the wiki (though none of this has to do with my promotion – things are still the same around here, folks). Fortunately, it's time for a WWD – Wayoshi Weekend, a wonderful time when I'm on a ton in a time span of ~56 hours. This page will be up tomorrow with all the details you'll ever need (hint: try to get yourself available on Friday nights!).
Also, while I'm on the general talk page of the wiki – 'Shroom Issue IV is not an April Fool's issue. Print and due day is Saturday, April 7th. Even though I got some promises of "half-true, half-fake" from some writers, I'm concerned the Issue would be a waste of time instead of something interesting to read for 10-20 minutes.
Un- or Fan- MarioWiki
Suddenly this idea has been revived from the dead and gaining interest rapidly. Here's the idea: Uncyclopedia, but for Mario. However, instead of tons of dumb jokes littered throughout the wiki, we'd be creating our own version of the Marioverse. See this forum post from Feb. 9th, and a quick editthis wiki as a test. We'd be looking for detailed yet clever articles that can be funny or peak our interest of "what if..." etc. While "Un-" implies you can add anything you want, even if it's out of the question, "Fan-" implies that fandom recreation we hope to strive for. So, it's time to vote yet again. Wa TC@ 18:39, 23 March 2007 (EDT)
- Support a Fan Mario Wiki, but leave it at the Edittthis wiki already created or somewhere on a different website. We will not have it on the same server.
- Oppose such a wiki in any form.
- Paper Jorge (Talk·Contribs)
- Support. --KPH2293
- Wa TC@
- Knife (talk) 19:15, 23 March 2007 (EDT)
- Per Knife. User:Gofer
- Waluigi 04:37, 27 March 2007 (EDT)
- The MissingLink TML Rulez
- I thought that wikis were supposed to encyclopedias. A disapproving fan of Yoshi
- I oppose- It's great to make a reference of the Mario series, but a reference listing of purposely faulty data? It all seems rather pointless to me. I'll say that if one is made, I'd rather it be a different site altogether- The Mario Wiki is about information, not making things up for the sheer sake of making them up. Besides, the Shroom already has a "Fake News" for such a purpose- Which to me, is fine in the contained moderation it exists in, not as an expansive boundless project- It's just going to end up as a giant "grafiti board", I'm afraid. ChrisAlassal 19:00, 23 March 2007 (EDT)
- Full Metal Moogle
- Ghost Jam
- F gStrong Oppose
If we allowed anything on the pages, it would be pointless, Aipom & Gofer. Even after reading what we have in mind both of you still think it's a waste? Wa TC@ 18:49, 23 March 2007 (EDT) UPDATE: What do you mean by your oppose DB? Wa TC@ 18:53, 23 March 2007 (EDT)
Were not going to put random nonsense on it. Then it WOULD be a waist of time. I dont seem to know why you appose it, Aipom, Gofer, and Dry Bones. And also, yoshifan, CHECK OUT UNCYCLOPEDIA. :\ Full Metal Moogle
Yep, that's what "Uncyclopedia" is for. It's was made for spammers, probably not true, but who cares.-- Aipom --
Bah,I could live with it but I just don't like the idea. User:Gofer
Dude, I've already seen Uncyclopedia.-- Aipom --
Wikipedia doesn't say anything about a wiki being an encyclopedia, though most are. Also, you don't have to take part in the project at all, but don't let it affect your opinion. Wa TC@ 18:59, 23 March 2007 (EDT)
Read where it says "free content encyclopedia".-- Aipom --
Sorry, my minds made up. It might as well be on the Uncyclopedia server.-- Aipom --
Think of it this way; spammers finally have a home. That way, you guys can do your socializing there and take your comic stuff there. This way, it doesn't intefere with this wiki.Knife (talk) 19:15, 23 March 2007 (EDT)
It appears that it's sysops against regular users, and maybe we could make it on the Uncyclopedia server.-- Aipom --
That's honestly a good point, guys. We're wearing thin on you guys continuously filling up recent changes with talk page edits and moving gif personal images instead of article edits and images for use in articles. At UnMarioWiki you would be freer to do that. Wa TC@ 19:20, 23 March 2007 (EDT)
- I agree with Knife and Wayoshi. The comics would be perfect for there. Great Gonzo's story could even have it's own article there. Also, there have been successful fan-fiction encyclopedias, such as the Star Wars Fanon Wiki. --KPH2293 19:22, 23 March 2007 (EDT)
- I'll thank Wayoshi to please not speak for all of th Sysops until all of the Sysops have said their piece. I, personally, have no problem with Recent Changes being flooded with anything, as I take care of the untouchables. -- Chris 15:33, 24 March 2007 (EDT)
OOOOHHHHH! Let me clarify, I meant by oppose by, not putting it here. Still, I'm pretty border-lined, I'm now neutral.-- Aipom --
I'm not a sysop. Look, take all your comic stuff there, discuss cheese, do what you want there. This way, it doesn't interfere with this wiki. So thats a good thing for this wiki. And it will be on a different site, not here. Also, the sysop statuses are temporary. The admins right now won't be on the real UnMarioWiki. I don't like being a sysop, but I need to be one to edit mediawiki pages.Knife (talk) 19:30, 23 March 2007 (EDT) Knife (talk) 19:25, 23 March 2007 (EDT)
Wah! Little red flag! I want to keep my comics here too.-- Aipom --
- Comics Stay
- all cheese, fanon, and others leave
- and I still might retire
Max is right!
Why do you want to keep your comics here? Comics make this site less contributive and more fan based. You guys can discuss your comics there or on the forum. Here, it just floods up the recent changes. Gifs are bad because they are distracting overall. The idea was made so that we remove all distractions off this wiki.This can be the official wiki and that can be the fun wiki. You have more options there. You can freely create another Cheese Craze of 07' without everyone stopping it. You guys were complaining about it now you don't want it?Knife (talk) 19:39, 23 March 2007 (EDT)
No the boring thing
EXCUSE ME?!The Super Mario wiki was created to be a comprehensive database about the Mario universe.If you came here to fill it with shoddy sprite comic and bad fan-fiction rather than contributing to the 'boring thing',you can go away. User:Gofer,who is obliviously angered by Drybone and Maxlover2 posts.
Jeesh guys. You wanted fun here, and it got all deleted. You want fun? Well go to Unmariowiki! Come on guys! No one will delete Cheese Craze '07! You can crate a page on Tumble saying he is Max2! You can make fun of me! Heck move all your comics there and fan fic. This wiki is getting TOO FULL OF USELESS COMICS AND FAN FICS! Come on guys-you wanted fun now you don't? You depress me. Paper Jorge (Talk·Contribs)
"Okay, now bearing in mind that I'm not totally cued in on what's happened this past week, but let point out something here. You guys like this Wiki right? If you tick off huge contributors like you're doing now, this wiki is going to die. Now, I'm not saying that putting fake info on a page is right, because it isn't, but what's all this complaining about us chatting with each other and uploading personal images for our user pages?
"The second problem could be fixed if you'd let Wiki users link to images on the web without uploading them. Such a feature should only be allowed on user pages, of course. But the first problem, about us chatting? Last I checked a Wiki was based off of user cooperation... but maybe what you want is a bunch of anonymously edited pages, where no one can tell the difference between two users who worked on the page. That would seem nice and professional, but why on earth do you want that? What's the purpose? Are we saying here that we want people to contribute to this Wiki solely for the benefit of the Wiki? That's really unrealistic. It's cool at the start to see you're writing all nice and pretty and published, but that wears thin after a while. If there is no other perk to editing this Wiki than a private feeling of pride, what's the point? How about writing for so that your peers will notice you and so you make new friends? That's worth something.
"Bottom line is this: don't jerk the writers around. Whether or not they are right or wrong in their beliefs, if people like Max2 leave, others with follow, and it will be a domino effect until this Wiki is made up of the leaders who everyone knows anyway. Comments such as Gofer's above, whether true or false, are very destructive to the Wiki overall. Oh, for the love of dirt... what am I jabbering about. I'm sick of this. There are so many better things I could do with my time... why don't I actually start doing them? --Stumpers"
If a fanon wiki is created, templates can be added to articles you create stating only you can edit those articles. For example, say I created the article "The Koopaling Massacre". I would place a template at the top of the article, stating its my work and that no one can change it without permission. Of course you could create a page without a template and let as many users as you'd like edit the article. -- Son of Suns
Well since I don't want to be there, I want to still keep my comics here.-- Aipom --
I actually think that this is all an OK idea, I just want the comics to stay.-- Aipom --
On the Above
Alright. Let's not let this tear the wiki apart in one night.
For about a week now, I have had the Sitenotice "Users: Try to make more article edits instead of just talking between yourselves! Remember why you joined in the first place!". While balancing between wiki edits and user edits (that includes making comics) is absolutely fine and encouraged to be a part of the community here, there a few users that are doing totally user edits and no "work". That's not why they joined, or originally should have joined. We as a wiki would like to see these users actually contribute more at the same time. It's quite possible. We're not saying we're deleting any comics either, but if a personal image limit is broken, old images should be linked externally as an archive and deleted here. But if all you guys are here for is comic and user talk, move to the forum.
That makes alot of sense, and Max, all they're asking you to do is a little more article work. Or, that message may not even apply to you at all.-- Aipom --
Yes,as of now, there only a few articles contributions,the rest is chat and comic. User:Gofer
Thanks, Wayoshi. It makes more sense now. I'll let you guys settle this yourselves, then. --Stumpers
The UnMarioWiki may be moving to Wikia. Reason? Because an editthis wiki is so limited. We can't add a background here, basically none of the cool features on MarioWiki. If we moved to Wikia, we can have all the cool stuff. So we need your support to move it. Vote here.Knife (talk) 15:08, 24 March 2007 (EDT)
More Active Users
Okay I'll say that we need active users here in this wiki because I feel like this wiki is going to be abandoned in the near future.If so, then I'll think I'm going to retire and never come back.And I thought we're here for friends,editing,blocking idiots,etc.F g
Uhhh?There's a lot of active user here!And no,Maxlover2 isn't going to quit. User:Gofer
- Huh? You should have joined to add to a Mario knowledge base primary, friends and stuff secondary. Wa TC@ 16:54, 24 March 2007 (EDT)
- Save that mentality for Wikipedia. We are a much smaller wiki, so friends and fun do aid in a sense of community. I must say, I don't at all care for this haughty air you've taken on lately. -- Chris 19:00, 24 March 2007 (EDT)
- RAP, did you get that from The 'Shroom? --KPH2293 19:08, 24 March 2007 (EDT)
- OK. You were the most active new user of January, and I was the most active new user of December. --KPH2293 20:58, 24 March 2007 (EDT)
- I'd listen to WTMK more if iTunes could play the thing right. I don't care for WinAMP. -- Chris 05:31, 25 March 2007 (EDT)
- RAP has more article edits, and he helps out with images, so I'd say it's the other way around. --KPH2293 21:14, 25 March 2007 (EDT)
RAP... There are some problems when going to websites when using the current resolution users usually use. What would a better resolution for this website, 800x600-1600x1200; my Dad's computer prefers 1280x1024 while the new computer uses a smaller resolution then Dad's computer. The problem is the page (article) size, (I think so). So what I'm trying to say is what would be a better resolution that fits the page (article) properly?
- A lot of users make banners that are bigger than 800px, forgetting about laptops. I use a 1280 X 1024 and it works perfectly. 800 X 600 generally works too. What do you mean the page size is the problem? Wa TC@ 13:25, 25 March 2007 (EDT)
- It's also up the browser you're using. Check pages that use gallery tags. In FireFox, the images stretch the page. However, in IE is shows up just fine. -- Chris 17:49, 25 March 2007 (EDT)
I say just ignore it and leave them be. -- Sir Grodus
- I agree. If they've moved on, then leave them be. --KPH2293 20:58, 25 March 2007 (EDT)
I just really think we shouldn't pester them like that, something could be going on with them or they could just not want to work here anymore. -- Sir Grodus
I'm with Knife, Grodus and Yoshi. I was gone for a little more than 3 months and came back with the edit-fury. Whos to say they won't as well. -- Chris 03:32, 26 March 2007 (EDT)
Here we are. However, according to Wikia custom, the original requestor Knife had to be made the sysop/bureaucrat. I'll try to fix this problem have all pages imported by the end of the day. Wa TC@ 05:21, 27 March 2007 (EDT)
- Not a Mario Fanon wiki? Bummer. -- Son of Suns
9 million page views
9,000,000 page views, amazing! I just happened to be on the Special:Statistics page right when it hit 9,000,000. WOW!!! An amazed fan of Yoshi
Issue #2: Mario Party Category(s)
Hmmm... I'm not really unsure about yet but do we have to put the Template or Category: Mario Party mini-games ino every Mario Party mini-game or just in Mario Party. I'm starting to see like Category: Mario Party 5 mini-games and Mario Party mini-games in some articles. If unsure; aren't we supposed to make a Category of Mario Party 1 mini-games? RAP...
- When I made those categories, I was assuming that Mario Party mini-games = mini-games from Mario Party 1. Category:Mini-games would just be a general list of all mini-games from all series. -- Chris 14:15, 1 April 2007 (EDT)
- So your'e saying the Category:Mario Party mini-games has to be in every Mario Party mini-game, right? RAP...
- Wait a minute, Mario Party mini-games category for only Mario Party mini-games or for all of them; I'm confused... It feels we have to vote on this... RAP...
- Again, I assumed the Mario Party mini-games = Mini-games in Mario Party 1. It's not that hard to make a Mario Party 1 mini-games category and keep Mario Party mini-games as a list for the entire series. -- Chris 23:10, 7 April 2007 (EDT)
Banjo and Conker articles
Its already been agreed upon that the Donkey Kong articles are staying; Banjo and Conker are Donkey Kong related, so they stay. Mario originated in Donkey Kong and things from the Donkey Kong series, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Kritters and Klaptraps, to name a few, have showed up in several Mario games; Donkey Kong is as connected to Mario as the Wario series is. Probably more so, as barely any Wario series originating elements have appeared in Mario games. -- Sir Grodus
Well... if thats your stance on the issue, this guy has a Mario Wikipedia of his own, here he is User: Toadbert101, theres a link to it on his page, but I don't know if his Mario Wikipedia is still active. You could check it out if you want. -- Sir Grodus
Yeah, I just checked out his Mario Wikipedia, it looks abandoned, but still editable and such. -- Sir Grodus
Okay, glad we could pass all this, but, heh, this reminds me of when we used to have Conker and Banjo articles (from their series), but we got rid of them, sent them to Wayoshi's Rare Wikipedia. And when you say articles related to Banjo and Conker, what do you mean? I thought all the articles related to them were deleted in the aforementioned move. -- Sir Grodus
Oh, thats what you meant, I thought you had found some old Banjo and Conker pages that were left here. -- Sir Grodus
Haven't you posted this once or twice before? - Hyper Mushroom, looking back thru the archives...
- Are you sure 4 images is enough? Wa TC@ 16:05, 3 April 2007 (EDT)
- Just my opinion here, but in terms of images it looks just right. Not too many, not too few. :) Seriously, though, if image count is the problem, I don't see why that would keep it from becoming featured article. By the way, I was wondering why upcoming games cannot be featured articles? --Stumpers
- 'Cause they're tagged with the Upcoming Games template. I'm-a-Captain Obvious. A fan of Yoshi | Here
Dead End Pages
If the page contains no links to another page on the Wiki. I think I fixed 'em all a while back. Are there new ones? --Stumpers
- 0 currently (see Special:Deadendpages). The vice-versa is orphaned pages, which have no links to itself. Wa TC@ 23:02, 3 April 2007 (EDT)
maybe i could chip in on them too
--Great Gonzo 20:34, 4 April 2007 (EDT)
- Actually, they should evaluate the article based on FA criteria and decide whether or not they should support, oppose, or be indifferent. -- Son of Suns
- Where can we find the criteria? The whole selection of featured articles is confusing to me! @_@ --Stumpers
O.kay.... I have a question. Do articles like Gunpei Yoko, Mojo Nixon, ESRB and even Shigeru Miyamoto belong here? I yhough this wiki was for all things Mario, the characters locations, moves, items, glitches, species, obstacles, and games. The above article fit into NONE of these categorys. They just don't seem to belong here. - Ultimatetoad all of these barely fit into a category
- Of course. These are the real-life people behind the games, movies, etc. It's directly related to the Marioverse. Wa TC@ 17:18, 7 April 2007 (EDT)
So... whats the limit? Are we going to make an article for every Ninyendo employee who has worked on a Mario game? - Ultimatetoad
Purge the Cache
- Basically hard-refreshing while clearing temporary settings. Wa TC@ 17:24, 7 April 2007 (EDT)
He says he got "disinterested".-- Aipom --
--Great Gonzo 17:38, 7 April 2007 (EDT)
- Until he comes here and tells us that he quits, I don't see the effectiveness of demoting him. -- Chris 17:43, 7 April 2007 (EDT)
- I agree with Ghost Jam. Also, I just checked; He says he'll probably log on every once in a while. --KPH2293 23:57, 7 April 2007 (EDT)
- There might be an extension to use, but I'd have to show Steve support from the community for him to install it. Wa TC@ 10:48, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
Yeah, me too. Get my hand cast off Wednesday!-- Aipom --
- I support it as well. --KPH2293 15:11, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
Cool, I'm in second. -- Sir Grodus
- Yay, I'm in third. --KPH2293 15:51, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
--Great Gonzo 15:52, 8 April 2007 (EDT) were am I?
- Son of Suns. --KPH2293 15:53, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
Can a sysop change it so normal users can view their edit counts too?-- Aipom --
Sir Grodus told me I'm in eighteenth.-- Aipom --
Where am I?
--Great Gonzo 16:48, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
Hey HK, is it true that only the creator of the website can change where-or-not normal users can see the edit count. That's what Confused is saying.-- Aipom --
yeah, then everyone will beg him to do it, :P
--Great Gonzo 16:55, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
oooohh cool, stuff. :)
-16:57, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
hey! i can't see anything on that userscore stuff, frankly i'd be pretty low.
-16:59, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
It won't show up for me either:(-- Aipom --
SLP, you're 118th. You might want to edit more articles than talk pages.-- Aipom --
wow thanks HK
--Great Gonzo 17:08, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
Ouch! how much users are there?
-17:09, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
- Okay, since I'll currently a new sysop; Let me check "reads list"... Ok, theres about at least 668 users who made article edits and everyone else donesn't use it or gets banned... RAP...
Wow, I'm 46th! I'd thought I would be much lower. Gofer
- I'd say just get the edit count extension. I'm against making UserScore viewable to everyone, as it also shows what's in your name field, and we don't want vandals to discover that information. --KPH2293 17:27, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
- It only counts article edits. --KPH2293 17:36, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
- How is that weird? --KPH2293 17:48, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
- Whoops. I didn't notice you're comment about only counting article edits. A fan of Yoshi | Here
- Oh, alright. --KPH2293 17:57, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
- Also, installing edit count would be better than making UserScore viewable to everyone, since edit count counts all edits, while UserScore only counts article edits (I'm not saying we should get rid of UserScore, however). --KPH2293 18:40, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
- Oh, alright. --KPH2293 17:57, 8 April 2007 (EDT)
- Whoops. I didn't notice you're comment about only counting article edits. A fan of Yoshi | Here
...I can't believe this. Special:UserScore is a restricted special page for a reason – the public is not supposed to see this information. And here we are, a sysop blatantly copying and pasting this special access info right onto another web page. Your rank on this wiki is not important, I hope all of you realize this. Wa TC@ 19:10, 8 April 2007 (EDT)