MarioWiki:BJAODN/April Fool's 2014
Waluigi to Fitness
“Be as thin as Waluigi!”
Upon seeing the poor sales of Wii Fit U, Satoru Iwata wondered what caused the game's sizable drop in performance. After much debating in Nintendo's R&D department, it was agreed that the clean, sterile art direction of the Touch Generation line had gone stale and that a drastic shift in visual direction was needed, starting with a host character who is "cool, cute and appealing – someone you want to show your pecs to".
After much deliberation, it was agreed that Waluigi was the "obvious choice" thanks to his "sleek, slender frame", reputed physical prowess and origin as a sports game character. Some sources speculates that Waluigi's popularity among the elusive 17-24 female demographic was also a factor.
- Martial art training. As a self proclaimed god of close quarter combat, Waluigi hosts a 10-steps training regiment for Taekwondo, which concludes with a real-time combat sequence. The development team hopes to make more martial arts such as Krav Maga available as downloadable content in the future.
- ^ Announcement trailer
- ^ Wired interview
- ^ Wired Interview Part 2
- ^ Jim Sterling outlines Waluigi's appeal as the ideal sex symbol of the Mario series
- ^ Promotional flyer
- ^ CVG
“Nothing's scarier than Waluigi Time!”
—Waluigi, opening cutscene
Waluigi's Warehouse is an upcoming game for the Nintendo 3DS. It appears to be a spinoff the Wario series, but resembles the Luigi's Mansion games in terms of structure and gameplay. It stars Waluigi as he tries to rescue Wario (now revealed to be Waluigi's brother) from his WarioWarehouse of surplus WarioWare, Inc. microgames, which has been taken over by the Black Jewel, returning from Wario World, but now possessing electronics instead of treasure. Confirmed bosses also include Captain Syrup and a tag-team battle with Ashley and Red. Rather than a vacuum, Waluigi appears to use water guns and even slime-based projectiles against his enemies, and as he travels through the Warehouse, he steals as much of Wario's jewels, gold and money as he can in a bid to raise enough money to launch his own fast food company. Additionally, due to the positive Internet reaction regarding the original "gothic" version of Luigi's Mansion, the ominously counting-down clock and other elements of horror and suspense will be included in this game.
- ^ "Waluigi's Warehouse and other Year of Waluigi content is announced in an exclusive French language news conference.
- ^ A sprite from the game.
- ^ The original, scarier version of Luigi's Mansion goes over well with audiences.
- That Mario's mother scrubs toilets in hell?
- That Nintendo owns the rights to Super Hornio Brothers?
- That Mario is a Vietnam veteran?
- That Mario Kart Arcade GP's code includes a photo of the Beslan school hostage crisis?
- The Year of the Waluigi, celebrating the most important Nintendo character, has been announced. As part of this announcement, the games Waluigi to Fitness and Waluigi's Warehouse have been revealed.
- A Waluigi Pinball table has been announced for the Wii U version of Zen Pinball 2.
- A set of Mario-themed drink coasters featuring fan-favourite character has been announced. The first wave includes Pink Donkey Kong Jr. (pictured), Vic Video, Sewer Guru and Bluster Kong.