Outer Space is the setting of Chapter 4 in Super Paper Mario. Chapter 4 may not take place in the outer space above the Mushroom Kingdom, but rather that of another dimension. At first, the heroes are unable to survive in outer space, as there is not any air to breathe. Upon arriving to Outer Space, the heroes realize they are unable to breathe, which forces them to return to Flipside to try to find a Space Helmet. After taking notice of the fishbowl Merlon gave to Pook, Mario asks for permission to use the bowl as helmet. Pook agrees to this, but only after the heroes find Captain Gills, who was already too big for the fishbowl, a nearby place to live. After setting Captain Gills free in the canal on the basement floor of Flipside, the heroes proceed to Outer Space.
In Chapter 4-1, the heroes meet Squirps, a mysterious alien creature who functions as a ray gun for stages 4-1 and 4-3, as well as in the battle against Brobot. A large portion of this chapter involves a Squarp Hole maze, which requires the player to remember which Holes are linked to which in order to progress.
- Chapter 4-1: Into Outer Space (Outer Space)
- Chapter 4-2: A Paper Emergency (Planet Blobule)
- Chapter 4-3: The Gates of Space (Outer Limits)
- Chapter 4-4: The Mysterious Mr. L (The Whoa Zone)
 Related articles
 Names in other languages
- If on the second visit to the level the player consistently answers "no" to the prompt to use the space helmet, Tippi will personally attempt to convince them otherwise. After that, if the player says "yes" thrice, she will abandon the player in frustration, resulting in a Game Over. Upon further visits, the helmet is equipped automatically once they pass through the door.