Bowser X is a boss that appears in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. This upgraded form of Bowser only appears in the Challenge Node in Bowser's body and the Battle Ring in Pi'illo Castle. To get to him in Inside Story, the player must beat all X bosses, and then face all the other X bosses in a row before facing Bowser X. He is the only X boss without a color change from the original.
Bowser X re-appears as extra boss from the game Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. As with the previous title, Bowser X is a stronger version of Bowser; however, in this game, he appears as an X boss twice: once in normal form and again in giant form. He is the second normal X boss faced, and the final giant boss in the Battle Ring. Like it's previous appearance, it doesn't have it's palette changed, unlike most other X bosses.
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
|Bowser's Inside Story Enemy
Like all the other X Bosses in the Challenge Node, Bowser X has upgraded stats. He is capable of performing all of the original Bowser's attacks, plus three new ones. However, Bowser X does not use the remaining troops later on in the battle. Attacks Bowser X performs during battle include:
- Punch - A variant of Bowser's fist attack which is slightly faster than the original one. Mario and Luigi must jump to avoid taking damage. Every once in a while, his nostrils smoke out. When this happens, he completely misses the punch and jumps over the Bros. in clumsiness; Mario and Luigi should not jump during this attack.
- Flame - Bowser's trademark flame breath attack. It can be avoided by grabbing onto Starlow before Bowser X launches the attack. If the player misses, the attack deals massive damage to the Bros.
- Goomba Storm - This attack has two phases. At first, Goombas run after Mario and Luigi, while Bowser X sets some of them on fire. After that the burning Goombas fall from the sky and the player must use the hammer attack to hit them back. They move at a much faster speed than the original.
- Shy Guy Squad - This attack is similar to Bowser's attack. It can be countered by a timed hammer attack.
- Fireball - Bowser X shoots a simple fireball at one of the Bros., which doesn't do much damage, but he continues to execute this attack over and over. The Bros. must hammer the fireball back at Bowser X to damage him. Doing this causes Bowser X to curl up into a ball and head for the upper portion of the screen. There, a rain of fireballs drops from Bowser X at random times. The Bros. must hammer the fireballs when they're directly above them. The final part of this attack is when Bowser X, still curled up, attempts to ram himself onto one of the Bros., heavily damaging him.
- Giant Bowser X - Bowser X grows in size and attacks the Bros. with a barrage of fireballs. The Bros. should jump only when the fireballs head directly toward them, and remain earthbound when the fireball passes overhead. After Bowser X finishes, he proceeds to chase the Bros. through a series of fiery obstacles; to avoid major damage, the Bros. must jump over said obstacles and head for the two springs waiting at the end.
- Vacuum - A counter move used every time when the player uses a special attack. Bowser X inhales the used move, making it inaccessible for five turns.
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
During the first battle against Bowser X, he is accompanied by Antasma X in his bat form. Bowser X uses all the same tactics Bowser does for this battle. He can spew purple waves of fire at Mario before launching a bigger flame attack that Mario must jump over. He can also roll up into his shell and chase Mario through the foreground, sending flames Mario must avoid while running, the red being avoidable by jumping while the purple must be avoided completely. Bowser X may try to sliding punch Mario to which he must counter with his hammer. Before punching, Bowser X may teleport behind Mario to catch him off guard.
Giant Bowser X
Bowser's giant form also appears as an X Boss in the giant boss battles of the Battle Ring. As with the previous battle, Bowser uses the same attacks, though a bit faster and some have slightly different patterns.