“C-can't s-stand it! The hunger-the HUNGER!”
—Belome, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Belome is a dog-like monster that is perpetually hungry and a minor boss featured in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. He is encountered in Kero Sewers and Land's End.
Before entering Kero Sewers, Mallow advises Mario that "his grandfather" told him to "watch out for Belome", although Mallow does not appear to know what Belome is beyond his name.
After exploring the sewers, Mario and Mallow enter a large, mostly empty room with Belome standing in the center. Mallow panics upon realizing the monster before them is Belome, who then attacks them. After battling and defeating him, he tells the heroes the cryptic message: "If you defeat me, you still won't beat me. Beware the flood!" and warps away. When he leaves, the ! Switch he stands on is released, causing the floodgate to open, with the water sweeping Mario and Mallow into Midas River.
battling Mario and Mallow in Kero Sewers.
Later in the game Mario and his allies travel to Land's End, where they discover Belome Temple and find Belome in it. Mario's party again battles Belome and defeat him. After this battle, Belome declares he's starving and disappears for the rest of the game. However, if Mario and his party travel back to Belome Temple, they will discover a golden Belome statue guarding a room full of treasure. If Mario presents the statue the key from Monstro Town, the golden effigy will eat the key and disappear, allowing him to claim the treasure for himself.
During the first battle, the monster will eat Mallow after a few turns. Mario can rescue Mallow by attacking Belome continuously, although Belome may still eat him after being rescued. If Mario falls while Mallow is in Belome's stomach, the game will end. Besides eating Mallow, Belome attack's includes licking his opponents and casting S'crow Funk.
In the rematch, Belome can not only eats party members, but also creates clones of Mario and his allies. He also trades S'crow Funk attack for more sleeping spells, including Light Beam and Aurora Flash.
Cloned members of Mario's party
The taste of Mario's party (According to Belome)
- "Ack! Sour!" (Mario)
- "YES! THIS is YUMMY~" (Mallow)
- "Bitter, but not bad..." (Geno)
- "Yuck! How repulsive!" (Bowser)
- "Mmm, tastes peachy..." (Toadstool) (A reference to her Japanese name, Peach.)
Names in other languages
|Belome. May come from 「ベロ」 bero, a colloquial word for tongue.
- The Mario Clone's Psychopath thought, "......", is a reference to Mario always being a silent protagonist in the game.
- While the other character clones are referred to by their clonefathers' names followed by the suffix "Clone", Princess Toadstool's clone is called "Toadstool 2" because of the character limits on enemies' names. However she is called "Peach Clone" in the Japanese version.
- ^ The Mushroom Kingdom gives the English and Japanese names of enemies and characters in Super Mario RPG, retrieved in 2008-6-10